6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2014 6:23 AM by Willam van Weelden

Google Analytics

abp456 Level 1

Has anyone ran into issues deploying the GA tracking code in their RH10 projects?

• 1. Re: Google Analytics
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

I don't think I have seen any reported once set up properly. The help must be accessible via the internet.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

• 2. Re: Google Analytics
            abp456 Level 1

Thanks, Peter. Yes, all of my help projects are accessed from within a SaaS applicaiton.

RH comes to an almost sreeching halt if I preview any topic with the snippet of code deployed. I can eventually preview the topic if I allow RH to spin its wheels for 2-3 minutes. If I generate the project and view the results, I am unable to expand any TOC folder that has the code deployed in its topics.

I grabbed my snippet from GA and inserted before the closing </head> tag of each topic that I wanted to track. I have also attempted to add before the closing </body> tag with the same, unsuccessful results.

Any thoughts? I need the GA code deployed to a number of topics, but I also need to work efficiently and not wait 2-3 minute to preview a topic.

• 3. Re: Google Analytics
              majorfifth1

I've been able to deploy the code in my WebHelp projects, but it's got some problems. Note: I'm still at RoboHTML 9.

To get Robo to include the code in all topics whenever I generate WebHelp, I modified one of the underlying template files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 9\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_skin\whst_topics.xml

I added the GA script directly after the last </script> closing tag, but before the ";]]>

This seems to work EXCEPT in Internet Explorer (of course) where it appears to block topics from appearing. Strangely, if a topic is blocked and I resize the browser window, WebHelp works normally. Just more evidence that IE needs to go the way of the passenger pigeon.

• 4. Re: Google Analytics
                Willam van Weelden Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Or RH9 :-) - Which version of IE are we talking about?

There are a few official and unofficial fixes for IE on RH9. These are not part of a patch and you need to install them manually: http://www.wvanweelden.eu/articles/robohelp-patches-and-updates

Note that these may override the GA fixes in whst_topics.xml.

Kind regards,

Willam

• 5. Re: Google Analytics
                  Deb Sauer Level 1

Hi

I am also trying to add a Google Analytics script string to every topic in my webhelp.

I added the string to the <head> section of the htt file, but when I generate the help, the string does not appear in the topics (I opened several htm files in Notepad and the string is not there).

I also tried adding it to the whst_topics.xml file, directly after the last </script> closing tag, but before the ";]]>. Again, the string does not appear in any of the webhelp topics. The whst_topics.xml file file is in the !SSL!\WebHelp folder, so I wasn't sure how adding the script to that file would affect all of the topics. I also edited the whst_topics.xml file in C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 9\RoboHTML\WebHelp5Ext\template_skin\whst_topics.xml. The topics still do not have the string.

I am using RH11.

Any suggestions on how to get this to work?

Deborah