2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2013 12:52 PM by ion

onSessionEnd actually doing anything?!

ion Level 1

i want to do something very simple: when session expires, automatically redirect to a login page.

onSessionEnd looks like the logical choice, but i wasn't able to make it do anything at all!

any example that can show this function can do stuff is welcome, i've tried a bunch of them already, nothing works.

<cfcomponent output="false">

<cfset this.name="testApp" />

<cfset this.sessionManagement = true />

<cfset this.applicationTimeOut = CreateTimeSpan(0,0,0,20) />

<cfset this.sessionTimeout = createTimeSpan(0,0,0,20) />

<cfset this.clientManagement = true />

<cffunction name="onSessionEnd" access="public" returntype="void" output="false">

<cflocation url="login.cfm">

</cffunction>

</cfcomponent>

• 1. Re: onSessionEnd actually doing anything?!
          Adam Cameron. Level 5

Think through what you're suggesting.

A session times out after an inactivity people, so intrinsically doesn't (and can't!) happen as part of a request... because a request implies activity. To redirect a request... there needs to be a request being made. But there is no request being made when a session times out.

You cannot interact with the browser in onSessionEnd(), because onSessionEnd() isn't - by definition - connected to browser activity.

What you want to do is to redirect to the login page when the session starts, not when it ends. Intrinsically the request after a session has ended will start a new session... and the redirect to the login page.

Make sense?

--

Adam

• 2. Re: onSessionEnd actually doing anything?!
            ion Level 1

Thanks Adam, i've put the call to login page inside onSessionStart. What happens is, i'm using cftooltips ajax style (passing val as url param to a page). Everything works fine, until session ends. When that happens, the tootltip shows (part of) the login page instead of the value passed

Now, Ajax is itself a request, would something like this work, if i create a onRequestStart function, checking for a session var, if not there, can i force onSessionStart to run? something like:

<cffunction name="onRequestStart">

<cfif session.someVar eq ''>

<cfscript>StructClear(session);</cfscript>

<cflocation url="login.cfm">

</cfif>

</cffunction>

Regards