4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2013 6:22 PM by Brad Lawryk RSS

When to Use Dreamweaver vs Muse

skaras2 Community Member

I have several websites designed in iWeb with added bits of code (metatags, Paypal buttons, forms, etc) added in an html editor. Now I need to recreate and hopefully improve those sites and don't know which way to go. I am taking a Dreamweaver class and I already know a little html so it's not impossible for me to learn this but I HATE it! After using a drag and drop program it feels like Dreamweaver is several steps back to the stone age. But everyone says I must use Dreamweaver if I ever hope to do web design for anyone else. And almost every business advertising for a web designer lists knowing Dreamweaver as a requirement.

That said... I can't help but think that this isn't a long term situation since it is so much faster and more satisfying to use a drag and drop program.

So... I'm willing to learn both for now but before I do I need to know a few things:

1. Besides having a client or employer demand it, when would you choose Dreamweaver over Muse?

2. Can you bring a site designed in Muse into Dreamweaver to add Dreamweaver's functionality?

3. Can you easily do drop-down menus in Muse?

4. Can you do a responsive website in Muse? (My current sites are not responsive but since I'd hate to redo them and then have to redo them again I'm trying to decide how to handle this.)

5. Can you do a responsive website in Dreamweaver?

7. Can you do websites with an unlimited number of pages in Muse? (I'm constantly adding to my sites.)

8. I know you don't have to write code in Muse but if you wanted to, can you?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: When to Use Dreamweaver vs Muse
          Brad Lawryk CommunityMVP

As some one who has used b oth products since they were first created:

1. Besides having a client or employer demand it, when would you choose Dreamweaver over Muse?

Forever thing except my lowest budget clients that really only need something simple.

2. Can you bring a site designed in Muse into Dreamweaver to add Dreamweaver's functionality?

Yes, but then you can't go back.

3. Can you easily do drop-down menus in Muse?

If you mean in the site menu then, yes. If you mean in forms, no.

4. Can you do a responsive website in Muse? (My current sites are not responsive but since I'd hate to redo them and then have to redo them again I'm trying to decide how to handle this.)

No. Muse uses Device Detection not browser width. Muse also uses Absolute Positioned Divs.

5. Can you do a responsive website in Dreamweaver?

Yes, in several different ways.

7. Can you do websites with an unlimited number of pages in Muse? (I'm constantly adding to my sites.)

Not sure about unlimited. It would depend on your server hosting. Muse itself isn't limited.

8. I know you don't have to write code in Muse but if you wanted to, can you?

You can insert code in most cases, but you can't access the generated code.

Hope that helps .....

• 2. Re: When to Use Dreamweaver vs Muse
            skaras2 Community Member

More info?

I've just been looking at sample sites done in Muse and most were nice enough, nothing special, but some were awesome! Things almost any small business might think is perfect. My favorite example: http://www.flightdeckrestaurant.net/

What do you mean by "simple"? What would be a specific example of "not simple"?

When would you not use Muse? To do what, exactly?

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: When to Use Dreamweaver vs Muse
              Brad Lawryk CommunityMVP

Yes, you can build some very creative sites with Muse. That is what it is for. And it is very very good at it.

However, I have run across very few clients that required what Muse can offer at this time.

Most common:

- Custom Forms (Biggest Reason: For example a very common form element is the radio buttons. Try adding a radio button form element to a contact form in Muse to let the user select if they prefer to be contacted by phone or email, or if they prefer to be contacted at night or during the day.)

- Blogs

- Includes for repetitive content.

- eCommerce

- Dynamic Content such as Restaurant Menus, Daily/Weekly Specials that can be easily updated by client. (Second Biggest Reason)

- News Releases

- Proper CMS

- Really anything that requires updating by anyone other than the original designer.

The list really goes on. Now, having said that, with a little knowledge of Business Catalyst you can do most of the design work in Muse but you still need to use Dreamweaver or the built in HTML editor to edit any of the module templates etc.

Muse just isn't there yet ... but DW has a 14 year head start.

Message was edited by: Brad Lawryk

• 4. Re: When to Use Dreamweaver vs Muse
                Brad Lawryk CommunityMVP

I forgot to add Secure Zones and email mewsletter sign up forms ... those are very common requests.