22 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2013 7:38 AM by Peter Spier

How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?

dissidently Level 1

Please see image Below:

Screen Shot 2013-08-31 at 4.49.08 AM.png

How do I set the step value of these little arrow buttons?  It's currently 10, I would like 5.

Then how do I assign a keyboard shortcut to these buttons so that I can reduce/increase Kerning to a SELECTED TEXT OBJECT without having to go "inside" that text object to select its text?

Adobe Shortcuts duplicate the currently selected text object when using Alt+Arrow key to adjust kerning - regardless of the fact that the text tool might be the currently selected tool -  Is this a bug, oversight or just another practical joke on users?

• 1. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Your attitude continues to suck. If you want help ask for it properly and

professionally.

Or, as I've suggested in the past, LEARN to use InDesign.

• 2. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?
            Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Here's the best way to apply kerning and tracking values:

The keyboard shortcut Option/Alt + Left Arrow or Right Arrow keys applies the setting in Preferences > Keyboard Increments > Kerning/Tracking. These are the arrow keys on your keyboard not the tiny arrows you're talking about. Left Arrow removes space, Right Arrow adds space.

The default setting is 20 / 1000 em (this is in relative units) but it is usually too large. I drop it down to 5 units, and get good results.

Cheers!

• 3. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You cannot change the value of the increment for the nudge buttons in the panel. You CAN change the value used with the keyboard shortcut (which is not attached to the nudge buttons) by editing the preference under Units and Increments.

By the way, you've chosen tracking, not kerning, in your screen shot. Do you know the difference between the two?

• 4. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?
                dissidently Level 1

@Peter

Kerning = space between individual letters

Tracking = space between individual letters as set for a group of letters at the same time.

This button, by the way, can do both Kerning and Tracking.  But you're right.  I'm really after TRACKING changes to Kerning settings, whilst in OBJECT SELECT MODE, Type Object Selected, rather than having to Dive into the object to select text before being able to change its tracking changes with a keyboard shortcut.

Ok, I'll admit I'm lazy, I use Kerning as a word for BOTH situations because Kerning has much less chance of being misunderstood as something else. 

There may be better ways to express that... but it's not the point.

I'm trying to replicate the behaviour of Illustrator (where a shortcut for Tracking changes (see how Tracking is a messy word?  If I use Kerning here there's a lesser to no chance of misunderstanding what I'm on about)  is available regardless of the Text selection state, so long as a text object is selected.  I find this vastly quicker and easier to work with. 

It seems that these little tiny buttons (up and down arrows) do exactly what I want. 

So... to part two fo the question... can I set a shortcut to these little buttons?  - even though I can't set the step value to anything other than 10, it's still a faster way, if possible, to do visual adjustments en masse. 

@Bob.  ?

@Steve... yes, already aware of this, but it requires A Text Sub-Selection (ie Text characters) to be selected, and therefore is significantly messy to use when in a hurry to try different settings en masse.  See Illustrator for a better way of doing this. whereby they've sacrificed the ability to [Alt + Nudge] duplicate text objects so that Tracking works for the shortcut keys when the Text Object (ONLY) is selected. 

Again... ADOBE... ANYONE LISTENING?  Try figuring out how to hire someone to make your UI and UX consistent across products.  PLEASE!!!

• 5. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?
                  dissidently Level 1

Bob, if I did somehow manage to LEARN Indesign to your standards, what would I be doing here?

• 6. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?

@dissidently,

You picked an accurate forum handle.

• 7. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?

You continue to insist that InDesign does not behave the way you think

it should.

Well here's a newsflash for you...it doesn't matter how you want it to

work. You need to change the way you think.

I can just picture you with a set of tools. You have a sledge hammer in

you hands and you're trying to figure out how to get it to work like

screwdriver.

Well good luck with that.

• 8. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?
                        dissidently Level 1

Good idea, Bob.

I'll go somewhere else and learn how it works.  Then come back here, a fountain of knowledge,  and spend my time to talk about how people should go elsewhere to learn how InDesign works.  Genius.

Why didn't I think of that?

Oh, that's right, because I'm still trying to learn what Adobe software can AND cannot do, and how it does things.  And WHY! 

In the meantime, try being helpful:

Do you know if its possible to script a call to these little buttons, Bob?  Is it then possible to push that script to start with a shortcut similar to the Kerning/Tracking shortcuts we know and love, Bob?

Thanks, Bob.  Keep on truckin'.

• 9. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?
                          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Ok, I'll admit I'm lazy, I use Kerning as a word for BOTH situations because Kerning has much less chance of being misunderstood as something else.

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'

'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

---"Through the Looking Glass" by Lewis Carrol

If you're going to ask someone a question, it is a good idea to know the proper terms for what you are asking. Your confusion over kerning and tracking only shows your limited knowlege of typesetting.

If you're just lazy, it's hard for anyone to take the time to help you.

• 10. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?

dissidently wrote:

Is it then possible to push that script to start with a shortcut similar to the Kerning/Tracking shortcuts we know and love, Bob?

You don't need a script.

With the text frame selected, type Cmd/Ctrl-T. This will open the Character panel with the typeface field selected. Hit the Tab key 5 times. This will highlight the field for tracking.

Hit the Up or Down arrows on your keyboard as many times as you want to increase or decrease the tracking value. This will be applied to all the text in the frame.

Hit the Return/Enter key to leave the tracking field.

OK, they're not the Kerning/Tracking commands that you "know and love" but they are keyboard shortcuts. This was your original request.

BTW, there are no "practical jokes" on InDesign users. Only users who don't understand how typesetting works.

• 11. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?

One of you guys locked this while I was typing, so I unolcked to post this, and I'm going to leave it that way for now. I don't see that we've crossed the line yet...

As long as the text is not threaded, you can select any text frame and  make a global change to any text attribute for that frame without  selecting text. Is that different from what you want?

• 12. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?

Really, don't lock us out of the opportunity to show dissidently how ill-informed he is.

Peter, glad to mentioned about the threaded text frame. I was editing my post when I got locked out.

• 13. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?

And truly. There are many others who don't understand the difference between kerning and tracking (sometimes called range kerning).

I'm glad this came up as it will give me an article to write for ID mag.

• 14. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?
                                    dissidently Level 1

GOOD THINKING!  Bring up eggs.

Because it's a Chicken and Egg discussion, really, isn't it?

Do I learn the Terminology, Lexicon, Methodologies of Typesetting before learning InDesign, or learn InDesign whilst winging it through their terminology, lexicon, methodologies and (dare I say it) user paradigms?

You know exactly why I said it the way I did.  You understood what I meant.  Yet you'd rather take the time to berate me, my lesser knowledge than yours, and defer me to NOWHERE for the process of speeding things up.

All that would be just fine... if it weren't for the fact that a cookie crumb of tags and search terms is in here for the next person to come along to try find out how to do this, and they're going to waste valuable time skipping your nonsensical personal attack.

Good luck with that. 

Now, having ascertained that it's impossible to change the stepping value of these little buttons, anyone know if there's a way to figure out how to put a keyboard shortcut on these little buttons, because I'm lazy and would like to work faster.

See that Sandee... I used "lazy" in quotes, without the quotes.  Same

• 15. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?
                                      dissidently Level 1

Kerning vs Tracking...

difference between kerning and tracking

Exactly where did I go wrong in my "definition" of the differences?

• 16. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?

One more thing.

You've got Peter Spier, Steve Werner, Bob Levine, and myself here, helping you.

It's been about 2 1/2 hours that you are getting information.

At the going rate of $200/hour for any one of us to do instruction or consulting, that comes out to $600/hour. Not bad for a FREE user forum.

• 17. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?

dissidently wrote:

Bob, if I did somehow manage to LEARN Indesign to your standards, what would I be doing here?

Helping others without a chip on your shoulder?

• 18. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?
                                            dissidently Level 1

I think you'll find Bob's carrying around a bag of chips.  And not helping, deliberately.  Next assumption?

• 19. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?

It's impossible to teach those that do not want to learn.

Oh, and it wasn't me that locked the thread.

• 20. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?
                                                dissidently Level 1

$200 an hour? 

Now I know why Adobe makes this forum.

They're the real winners.  Bill them.

• 21. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?

It was me who tried to lock this discussion because I saw the disintegration beginning. Perhaps it was too early, but the rate of disintegration is increasing.

• 22. Re: How to set Kerning Step Value and Keyboard Shortcut?

It's now time and I will relock.

And dissidently, consider yourself warned. If I see any more posts from you that are childish or accusatory (is this another tick by Adobe?) I will delete the topic summarily. Other mods may do the same. Trolls are not welcome here.

If you wish to ask questions as an adult and not pick fights, feel free to do so.