2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2013 5:45 PM by joe bloe premiere

quick question about rendering and exporting with multiple presets

pde42

Probably a very simple question but I'm pretty new to PPro, so I'd appreciate your help...

I've got an uncompressed AVI video that I want to export to mp4 using several presets (that means several exports). What I intend to do is the following:

I create a sequence and put my AVI file in there and then I just apply the preset and without rendering go to export media, select my export setting, and put it in the encoding queue at the Media Encoder. Then on the same sequence, I clear the preset and apply a new one, and again without rendering, go to export and then to the encoding queue. I repeat this for as many times as presets as I want to apply. At the end I have created (in no more than 2-3 minutes) several exports in the Adobe Media Encoder queue, that I can launch and go and do something else while encoding...

My question: will the export files each have the different preset applied even though it was not rendered? if it does not work, would that work if I were to do this with each preset applied on a different sequence, even without rendering?

Thanks in advance for your input!

• 1. Re: quick question about rendering and exporting with multiple presets
          Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Every time you export using the AME you get the video you had on the timeline at the moment you put it into the AME.

If you change the timeline video, then export, it will result in two different looking export files.

There is no need to use different sequences if you don't want to. I would probably use multiple sequences so I could more easily go back and make wsome tweaks, but it is not necessary if you are just trying to get multiple looks to show somebody.

• 2. Re: quick question about rendering and exporting with multiple presets
            joe bloe premiere Level 5

I create a sequence and put my AVI file in there and then I just apply the preset.

Then on the same sequence, I clear the preset and apply a new one, and again without rendering, go to export and then to the encoding queue.

Does "apply the preset" mean selecting an encoding preset

before sending the Sequence to the Queue?

If I understand what you are trying to do...

It sounds like you want to do multiple, different format

exports from the same Premiere Sequence.

If so...

I would Queue the Sequence to Media Encoder once from Premiere,

then duplicate the entry in the Queue (Ctrl+D) and assign the

different encode types to the duplicates in Media Encoder,

(instead of Queueing the Sequence multiple times).

...will the export files each have the different preset applied even though it was not rendered?

A Sequence will be encoded using the assigned settings.

You can set multiple encodes in the Queue, each with different settings.

I'm not sure what you mean by "even though it was not rendered...".

Unless you have specified 'Use Preview Files' in your encoding,

it will make no difference if your Sequence is 'Timeline Preview'

rendered or not.