1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 10:46 AM by ashay9517

Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro

roadiedude Level 1

Hello everyone! I've been lurking around for sometime now looking for answers on how to import subtitles to PPro.

So far, as of writing this post, PPro does not handle subtitle files. Fortunately, I found a quick and dirty workaround to importing all kinds of subtitle formats to PPro as PNG. But firstly, please know that there are 3rd party plug-ins that lets you import srt files into PPro and let's you edit it in PPro, but there's a price, and my solution is free

NB: Subtitles are better as a seperate file. But in case you really need to burn your subs on the video, then follow the steps below.

Steps:

1. If you have a long project and and don't want to use PPro's title module, then you must go and download Subtitle Edit. - it's a great FREE software that has an video monitor and audio waveform where you can scrub to the specific time you want.

2. Once you're done subtitling, go to File > Export > Final Cut XML + PNG (i know it's FCP but it works well with PPro too) You can then set the desired style for your subtitles, font color, size, etc. Once you've exported, it's going to output 2 main files: one, the PNG files and two, the XML file.

3. Import the XML to PPro. It's going to generate a Sequence with the subtitles as PNG in it.

4. Relink the PNGs. For whatever reason, when you import the XML, the PNGs are not linked yet.

5. Place your subtitle sequence on your main timeline. Reposition and reframe as needed.

6. Render. Might take 10% longer than usual.

That's it! I hope this has been helpful.

My software:

Subtitle Edit

Premiere Pro CC. I'm pretty sure it would work on older versions too.

• 1. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Subtitles that can be turned on and off typically handled by Encore in the Adobe work flow.  Subtitles that are always there are just 'titles' and typically use the titler for the job.

Closed Captions can be handled by PP.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
            Evan Breznyik Level 1

A superb tip that solves a problem I've been trying to figure out for months.

One note, in case anyone else encounters this weird behavior:

On my machine (Windows 7 x64), when exporting the XML/images, the Subtitle Edit program usually crashes about 250ish images in.  However, as I figured out, it will continue to export all the images the XML if you just hold off on closing the program until it's finished.  (You can look in the output folder and make sure the right number of images are there along with your XML file.)

I'm not sure why it crashes, but at least it does complete the work in the background. 

• 3. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
              snowmaker Level 1

Hi Roadiedude, All

When I import the XML file, it then askes me to re-connect. All that works great, but it does not generate a sequence with the subtitles.

I have a company create subtitles for my company and they use swift/softel program. They send me the XML + all associated PNG files. We've been using Final Cut for years, but are trying to switch to AP. In FCP it generates a sequence that matches the timecode they exported.

I'm on a Mac OS X 10.7.5 using Adobe Premiere CC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dennis

• 4. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                João Leão Level 1

Hi Roadiedude and All

Can you send me thin link you used to download the Subtitle Edit. I can't find it!

I had tried with Jubler and Aegisub and any of these programs worked.

I'm on a Mac OS X 10.9.2 using Adobe Premiere CC.

Any help would be fantastic!

João

• 5. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                  ezza.ahmed@gmail.com Level 1

Thank you for this valuable assistance

(Excuse the mistakes, I only translate from French to English)
                  When I first matter on pro cc xml file Final Cut, Premiere Pro imports just 240 image!
                  In the folder or there is the xml and images, I find all this images. All images are referenced in the xml file.

How to import all the images on the Premiere pro cc?

thank you very much

• 6. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                    yasinozen Level 1

Thanks!

I've been looking for a solution this simple for a very long time!

• 7. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                      Pedrober Level 1

Beautiful trick. Anyhow, I have problems with FCP+image files generated by SubtitleEdit if they are more than 1000 pixels width, due to the fact that I am working in HD (1920x1080) but Première reads the XML ouput as PAL. If I change the subtitles Sequence settings to HD, no problem, but now, when I carry the XML to to timeline, the second part of the subtitles (the last 300 subtitles) is ignored and they don't appear. Any suggestion?

• 8. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                        Pedrober Level 1

Solved. The trick is to use "Open in the timeline". Then, no missing subtitles. Afterwards, it's necessary to apply a Motion effect to set the right position for the subtitles in the screen. After applying it to the first subtitle, it's possible to paste the effect and to apply it to the rest of the subtitles.

• 9. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                          MarkWeiss Level 1

Results: 25 frames PAL standard definition only. Can't do 1080. Subtitles also appear smack in the middle of the screen, which is showing only a 720x576 window of the 1080 video that the subs are overlaid on. Tried to change the sequence settings, but they're all greyed out. And the subtitles are rendered too small for HD.

• 10. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                            Pedrober Level 1

It's necessary to change "Sequence settings" for the subtitles XML file (Project window), after import.

Editing mode: custom

Frame size: 1920x1080

Pixel aspect ratio: Square pixels.

Then:

1. Open the subtitles file in the Timeline.

2. Select the first subtitle, go to the Effect controls (Motion: modify vertical position).

3. Copy that subtitle.

4. Select the rest of the subtitles and paste atribute (Motion only).

Now, I drag the video to the timeline and everything is OK.

I hope this helps.

• 11. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                              MarkWeiss Level 1

That was my first thought, but all settings are greyed out and cannot be changed when I import the XML and it generates the sequence. It's stuck at PAL standard def!

• 12. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                MarkWeiss Level 1

Also, the subtitle files are sized for standard def and even if I bring everything into a new 1080 sequence, they are half of normal size. Subtitle Editor's export, despite choosing 1080i, is exporting SD titles as PNG files. Most of them are only 300 - 400 pixels wide.

• 13. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                  Pedrober Level 1

1. Subtitle Edit

Font size: 55

Video res: 1920x1080 (custom)

Border style: Normal width=2

Line height: 65

The resulting PNG size is 800-1000 pixels width, 142 pixels height.

2. Premiere

First, import the subtitles and modify the sequence settings. Then, import the video.

• 14. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                    Doc Maik Level 4

Hi all! I'm trying to place the subs. Until now, without success. After imported them I got the sequence and applied the settings as suggested by Pedrober (my movie and sub use 25fps). When opening the subtitle sequence in the time line, the positions of the subtitle images are correct. First on at ~26 minutes. The timeline of the sequence ends at ~1h. But when I place the sequence on top of the movie, it only shows as a 24 minutes clip, which is too short.

Ok, so I thought I have to place the sequence at the position of the first subtitle's timecode. Doing so showed that the end of the sequence is before the end of the last subtitle. Plus the subs do not show up at the time codes in the movies where they supposed to show up. What could be wrong?

• 15. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                      MarkWeiss Level 1

All goes well up to font size and video res. But the import and modify is where I run into a wall. Import goes okay. But modify sequence settings--can't be done! All options greyed out.

• 16. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                        MarkWeiss Level 1

Even at font size 45, the images are rendering out the same as before, 408 pixels wide and sized for PAL SD TV, too small for HDTV. The program is stuck in PAL mode and ignores user selections of other modes.

• 17. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                          MarkWeiss Level 1

After some experimentation, I found that setting the border width to '5' and then rendering the titles, resulted in the correct HD size titles, even though the sequence that resulted was still PAL 576. I simply lifted the titles off that sequence and pasted them into my HD sequence. Seems to work and no timing problems.

Subtitle Edit needs some refining though. Unexpected output that doesn't follow the settings is the main thing.

• 18. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                            Pedrober Level 1

Select ONLY the XML file in the Project panel, right mouse button, Sequence settings. Change them to HD (custom). Then, select the XML file again, rmb, open in the Timeline. The subtitles take the right position in the Timeline. Modify their position on the screen following the outlined procedure. Afterwards, import the video file.

The problem with wrong duration was due to wrong sequence settings (PAL).

My Subtitle Edit version: 3.4.5 Portable

My Premiere version: Premiere CC 2014.

A remark about Subtitle Edit: the SE player (default or VLC) doesn't have frame precision. Then, it's necessary to check the critical in or out timecode points in Première (the SE EDL is strictly followed by Première).

• 19. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                              Doc Maik Level 4

MarkWeiss wrote:

Even at font size 45, the images are rendering out the same as before, 408 pixels wide and sized for PAL SD TV, too small for HDTV. The program is stuck in PAL mode and ignores user selections of other modes.

"Even at 45"? Why so small? I used 50, the subs come out perfect. See below. Video sequence is full HD. Why would a width of 408 (depends how many letters it shows) be too small?

prem1.JPG   prem2.JPG

• 20. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                Pedrober Level 1

I have received a follow-up that doesn't appear in this thread. I quote:

Pedrober wrote:

Now, I drag the video to the timeline and everything is OK.

What do you mean? To the timeline of the subs or to the timeline of the sequence for the video? Why dragging the video to the timeline AFTER the subs? Or if you drag to the subs's timeline, what if the timeline is much shorter than the video, like in my project?

I drag the imported video file from the project window (where the XML file and the PNG files are too) to the timeline, where the subtitles were previously opened (see my previous messages).

I am a complete ignorant in Premiere. My workflow was created via trial/error but it works (for me, at least).

I suffered the problem you have mentioned: part of the subtitles disappeared from the timeline. After modifying the sequence settings (PAL to HD), no more problem.

• 21. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                  Doc Maik Level 4

Pedrober wrote:

I have received a follow-up that doesn't appear in this thread.

That's because I deleted it.I didn't really notice that one step in your posts and then it first seemed silly to me that it only works when dragging the video to the subs sequence and not vice versa.

I think this is the most important step. You should probably make it bold.

• 22. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                    Pedrober Level 1

Done, Doc Maik.

• 23. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                      Doc Maik Level 4

Nice try, but I think you emphasized the wrong text. Importing the video first or last doesn't matter. What's important is to drag the video onto the timeline of the subs, not vice versa.

• 24. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                        Pedrober Level 1

It was impossible for me to edit the message (no Actions available). Anyhow, your last message already emphasizes the essential step.

• 25. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                          ezza.ahmed@gmail.com Level 1

Hi,

I have the same problem, how did you solve them?

Thanks

• 26. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                            willian machado Level 1

I am not beeing able to import the XML file

it says file seem to be corrupted or someting like that

someone can give me a little Help?

• 27. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                              dgfigueiredo Level 1

This was amazing! I've been looking for this for a really long time! Thank you so much!

One little tip: If I select NTSC as video format when exporting the subtitles, Premiere won't import them, so I have to select PAL, but since I can manually select the framerate, there's no problem.

Thanks again!

• 28. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                                dgfigueiredo Level 1

Willian, have you tried selecting PAL instead of NTSC when exporting the subtitles? That did the trick for me.

• 29. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                                  Matt3000 Level 1

I've followed all the steps properly and looked into the xml files just to make sure. Here's what I've discovered. Whenever I import the XML and view it as a sequence all on its own as PAL everything checks out. The starts and durations of each entity are perfect to the frame.

However, whenever I convert the sequence to 1440x1080 Premiere will ad duration to each segment and offset the start of each subtitle by an increasing number of frames. I've tried importing and then converting the sequence using the Sequence Settings and the moving it into my target sequence's timeline (no dice). I've also tried converting the XML using the Sequence Settings, opening it as it's own sequence, (adjusting postition etc..) and then moving the segments into my target video sequence (same problem).

So, I then tried converting the XML using Sequence Settings from the project window, opening it as it's own sequence and then adding the HD video to that sequence (same problem).

The only thing that I've found that maintains integrity of the start and duration is opening the XML sequence on it's own without any conversion and then stuffing my HD video into that at PAL resolution. Not optimal. Also, not sure if this is just a 16:9 problem, or if it's a CC 2015 bug.

• 30. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                                    bobwhitemedia Level 1

+ 1 for Jubler.  I'm on Mac and Jubler has much improved over the years.   It a little tricky to get used to but now it's my go to app for srt editing.

• 31. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                                      justini92123381 Level 1

Thanks for the advice. I have imported the XML file into Adobe Premiere Pro but I am now struggling to find the option to 'relink' them. They are all presented as seperate .PNG files on the left handside Project Panel. Can you please advise how best to do the 'relink'.

Thanks

• 32. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                                        Matt3000 Level 1

Find the XML file in the project panel, it should be a sequence now, that has all the files together. You can open that or drag into another sequence (note it will probably have many of the issues raised above).

• 33. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                                          DigitalSoju Level 1

I've been using this method for awhile now, but I noticed Premiere imports the xml incorrectly. I don't have to do the re-linking thing anymore, but even though it's 23.976 fps, premiere keeps importing it as 23 frames per second throwing off all the timing. Very annoying. Not sure how to fix this.

• 34. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                                            cemu62330483 Level 1

Hi, i'm using premiere pro cs6.

i've tried to import the xml files which i created in subtitle edit. after reading whole post i opened an empty project and then try to import xml file.

1) if i select PAL (in subtitle edit) i get this error message:

pal.jpgpal2.jpg

2) if i select NTSC (with same settings) i get this message:

n.jpg

i couldn't find what i did wrong. Any idea?

Thanks...

• 35. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                                              DigitalSoju Level 1

Are you sure  you're importing the right file? From the error message, it looks like you're opening a premiere project, not an xml file.

The way I've been doing it is exporting as a final cut pro xml, then in premeire i double click the file area to import a file and I import that xml file. Is that exactly what you're doing? If so, that's odd. Never had that problem.

• 36. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                                                cemu62330483 Level 1

i right click the file area and click import. then select the xml file. but the result is same (i've tried  double clicking too).

in the pal version premiere tries to open a project file (d.prproj). in the ntsc version it tries to open xml (s.xml) but can't open it.

i'm stuck

• 37. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                                                  cemu62330483 Level 1

i have progress:) my problem occurs when i create 25 frame xml file. if i select 24 or 23.9 fps i can import the xml correctly but if i select 25 fps premiere gives error message (i posted photos above)

Any idea?

• 38. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                                                    Vaslit Level 1

Hi I've just read all the replies, but I'm facing a different problem. When I import the XML file I don't get a XML object on the project window nor even a sequence. All it does is to paste all the PNGs on the project window, with no order.
                                                                                    I can't see what to do with them neither.

Untitled.png

Now, if I open del XML file with APP it will add all the PNGs on the project window, but will create a track with the subtitles in order. But this is on a separate project.

It seems to loose the SubEdit format I gave it too; goes to the middle of the screen.

Untitled2.png

Thanks for any tip!

• 39. Re: Importing Subtitles to Premiere Pro
                                                                                      Vaslit Level 1

After all I managed to make it possible. I found the sequence created when opening the XML file right from Adobe PP (because importing was no success). Then, on this new project I imported all my movie.

PNGs got stretched tight on Adobe PP, as if the font was a Condensed one. I could not figure out the cause, but I scaled its width at my convenience to work it around. After that, I could render without trouble.

Thanks roadiedude on the tips with SubtitleEdit. I tried work with the .SRT generated into Adobe a weeks ago, but the Captions Tool were not working at all; the format or syncing got all troubled. This export to "Final Cut Image" lesson made the job.

1 2 Previous Next