3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2017 8:31 AM by s.c.becker

Premiere CC Sequence create with codec equivalent to ProRes 442 for Cinema output?

KB8WFH Level 1

I have been using Premiere for a while now (since I switched from Final Cut) and am already pretty well versed it in. For using it to make everything from web content to HD broadcast quality deliverables, I have it covered. However, I will be making a documentary film that will be shot in 1920x1080 (most but not all shot on DSLR's) and I need to know what codec/setting to create sequences in Premiere when my ultimate output will be to some format at teh highest possible quality to convert into a DCP (Digital Cinema Package). I'll worry about the DCP later, but I need to know when I create a new sequence what codec I use. When I used Final Cut Pro 7, it was simply ProRes442. So maybe I need to ask what Adobe codec & settings do I use that is their equivalent to Apple ProRes 442 when I make a new sequence?

Thanks.

Matt

• 1. Re: Premiere CC Sequence create with codec equivalent to ProRes 442 for Cinema output?
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

I need to know what codec/setting to create sequences

in Premiere when my ultimate output...

I need to know when I create a new sequence what codec I use.

Regardless of your intended final export format, you will want to

create and edit in a Sequence that matches your footage.

Aside from selecting the format of your Timeline Preview files

(the available choices depend on which version you are using),

there is no specific codec assigned to a Sequence in Premiere.

A codec will only be considered when you export.

You mention multiple cameras all shooting 1920x1080.

This is a good start, but is is also very important to make certain

you have all cameras recording the same frame rate and scan type

(progressive vs. interlaced).

This will any avoid potential problems while editing.

...what Adobe codec & settings do I use that is their equivalent to Apple ProRes 442 when I make a new sequence?

You need to shake the FCP 'transcode to ProRes' mindset.

You edit all of your source material natively, regardless whether

the source media files employ mixed codec types.

Then you only need to consider codecs for Timeline Preview Files

(if you don't want to use the default setting) and for exporting.

• 2. Re: Premiere CC Sequence create with codec equivalent to ProRes 442 for Cinema output?
            KB8WFH Level 1

Perfect, this was the answer I was hoping for. It's as simple as I hoped it was and am glad to get out of having to think the way that especially Final Cut Pro X works in transcoding and creating output files. Thank you.

• 3. Re: Premiere CC Sequence create with codec equivalent to ProRes 442 for Cinema output?
              s.c.becker

Hi everyone,

Thank you for this question and the detailed reply.  So from what I understand, there is no direct equivalent to the Apple Pro Res 422 codec?  I am looking for a higher quality export codec option than H.264.  When I explore my other options, they are:

1.  QuickTime with preset NTSC DV 24p (when I select the preset Match source (rewrap) a preset error box comes up with the message "the source file's video stream is not compatible with this preset)

2. Or, if I select the H.264 codec and then select Match sequence settings, the wrapper converts to .mpeg.

Are either of the above options closer in quality to the FCP Apple Pro Res 422 codec?  Or is there another way I should be going about this?

Thanks,

Sophie