7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2013 4:34 PM by Steve Grisetti

DV capture poor

locarti

I'm trying to capture from a Canon XL1 using firewire.  The device control is fine and the picture comes in, but there is a lot of pixelation when the image moves - just like if the wrong frame is being interpolated first from the interlacing.  I'm working in PAL on a Mac mini, premiere elements 11, using DV widescreen settings.  Am I doing someting wrong or is the codec just really poor ?

• 1. Re: DV capture poor
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

If you are connecting to this camcorder via a FireWire connection, capturing your video does not change the video data in any way. It merely streams, unchanged, from the camcorder to your computer until is it broken up into DV-AVI or DV-MOV files.

In other words, nothing Premiere Elements is doing is changing your file. It is the exact video data that was recorded to your miniDV tape.

How are you judging this video's quality? Are you playing it with software, like the VLC Player, or just playing it back on the Premiere Elements timeline?

• 2. Re: DV capture poor
            locarti Level 1

Hi Steve

To answer your second point I'm playing the video back in the Premiere Elements timeline and also in the clip viewer.

To your first point, the capture is perfect into iMovie, so there is nothing wrong with my source content / camera / firewire connectivity - this is just a Premiere Elements problem.

• 3. Re: DV capture poor

What are your project setttings (under the Edit menu)? If your project settings are matched to your video, you will NOT see yellow lines above the timeline in Expert mode. Is this the case in your project?

You project properties should be set to DV 720x480 and you should NOT see yellow lines above your clips in Expert view.

• 4. Re: DV capture poor
                locarti Level 1

Hi Steve

I don't see any yellow lines in expert view.

The project properties are set to DV 720 x 576 (surely 720 x 480 is NTSC not PAL).

• 5. Re: DV capture poor

Right-click on the Monitor panel in Premiere Elements and set it to High-Quality display.

That will display it at its highest quality -- but it won't affect the original video file.

As I've said, the video is captured unchanged from a miniDV camcorder if you captured over a FireWire connection. It may not look it, but it is identical to the video that is in your camcorder. You can't make it look any better than that.

• 6. Re: DV capture poor
                    locarti Level 1

Yes, that was the problem Steve.  The monitor on automatic quality looks appalling.

Thanks

• 7. Re: DV capture poor

Glad I could help!

Don't forget to mark this thread answered.