16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 7:17 AM by A.T. Romano

Demon Eyes

adobenewbie123 Level 1

Calling out to all of my innovative and creative friends  on the board to see if there is any way to create demon eyes in abobe premiere elements 10.  The shot is a closeup of  a 10 second line and I am envisioning the subject's  eyes starting to glow and turn red during the second half of the clip. (basically implying that he is possessed by the devil.) 

thanks for your time!

• 1. Re: Demon Eyes
          the_wine_snob Level 9

How much does the subject move, during that 10 secs.?

If the shot is fairly static, with the subject looking pretty much at the camera, I would look into making a duplicate of the Clip, place it on Video Track 2, and adjusting the eyes (probably Keyframing whichever Effect(s) you go with, over time) to suit. Then, create a Track Matte, so that ONLY the area around the eyes is affected. That Track Matte can be done in Titler. You will place that Track Matte on Video 3, then add the Effect>Track Matte Keying to the duplicate Clip on Video 2, linking it to the Track Matte on Video Track 3.

With a lot of motion, things become much trickier, as you would have to animate the Track Matte, to keep it over the eyes, as the subject's head moves.

Good luck, and let us know about that 10 sec. shot, please,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Demon Eyes
            adobenewbie123 Level 1

Thanks Bill!  Yes, the stat is extremely static and for the 3-4 seconds I want to apply the effect, there is barely any head movement.

Based on your instructions, I understand now how to isolate the effect to just the eyes.  Mu only question is which effect would I use  to achieve a red glow for the eyes?

• 3. Re: Demon Eyes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not have PrE 10, but looking at PrE 11, here are some possibilities:

Advanced Adjustments>Channel Mixer

Color Correction>Three-way Color Corrector

Image Control>Color Replace

NewBlue Art Effects Elements>Colorize

Note: those are available in PrE 11 on a PC. Even with PrE 11, not every Effect is available on a Mac.

Maybe others will have some specific PrE 10 suggestions, and it would be helpful to know what platform you are running.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Demon Eyes
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Oh, I neglected to address the "glow." There, I might experiment with adding various Blurs to the "coloring" Effect.

It might be interesting to first apply a Black & White Effect, to remove the natural color from the eyes, then "color" that.

Another possible treatment would be to "invert," or Posterize the eyes.

It will probably take some experimentation with, first the actual Effects, and then with their adjustments.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Demon Eyes
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here are some tutorials (mainly Photoshop and After Effects), that might give you some ideas. Obviously, you will be using PrE, so the mechanics will be different, but might give you some things to think about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ10Yrt4wdw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIit7RGJeU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snjN4-7HZFQ

http://www.google.com/imgres?

http://tinyurl.com/kaucvna

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Demon Eyes
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Not sure how far into this you have gotten, so the following may be old stuff where you have been there and done that. Not sure if it has been suggested for trying...

But, just in case you have not.....

1. I think that the cleanest approach to targeting just the eyes is by taking a frame grab from you video, and, in the Freeze Frame dialog include the options "Edit With Photoshop Elements After Insertion" and "Insert in Movie". The catch here is do you have Photoshop Elements (I do not remember what program sets you have.)

In Photoshop Elements, the keys might be

a. selection of the eyes with the Quick Selection Tool

b. Select Menu/Feather with a Feather of about 20 pixels (the amount of feather is important to give the look you seek).

c. With the Color Picker, apply a shade of red (or black if you prefer)...I favor red in this instance.

2. If all you have is Premiere Elements, then you might consider the Titler/Shapes section and the Ellipse Tool to create an ellipse shape to fit the eye. But, I have not found the formula for getting that to look right on the shapes are appllied. Too hard a look at this point.

Just some thoughts.

ATR

• 7. Re: Demon Eyes
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

Especially with the static "head shot," I think that you have a great idea.

With either Ps, or PsE, one could do several variations of the eyes, Importing those back into PrE as maybe a few seconds of each Still, then add Transitions between those.

Though not for eyes, I did similar with a single photograph of a boathouse on a pond, to be used as an "abstract background," for use with a SlideShow. The general techniques would be the same, and you have already covered the Selection process in PsE (same as in Ps) well, so adobenewbie123 has the tools to do that.

For reference, here is the piece on that Abstract Background, with a linked example: http://muvipix.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5934

Hunt

• 8. Re: Demon Eyes
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

Thanks.

It will be interesting to see adobenewbie123's results based all the suggestions.

Adobenewbie123 has been doing well exploring and experimenting with the program for quite some time now

and making great progress. I have already asked in another thread "Time to update your ID to reflect your progress?"

ATR

• 9. Re: Demon Eyes
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

"Time to update your ID to reflect your progress?"

I agree with you.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Demon Eyes
                            adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hey Bill and ATR!  Great suggestions!!  I favor taking the screenshot and going to Photoshop Elements which I do have, just because that it the least intimidating road for me.  And by the way,  I am using a PC as well.

I am going to post  the clip when I am finisihed to get your feedback and for now , all yout options are still on the table.  Might take me a couple days to get to a point where I feel confident sending it around.

• 11. Re: Demon Eyes
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Great news.

With PsElements, then some of those linked tutorials, will likely work, with just a few tweaking. IIRC, some were for Ps, so one might have to interpolate a bit, when going to PsE, but much will be the same, or very similar.

Good luck, and please let us see your results.

Hunt

• 12. Re: Demon Eyes
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Thanks for the follow up.

We will be looking forward to your results. The team of Photoshop Elements and Premiere Elements (integrated combo) should work great for your purposes.

For the sake of harmony, just make sure the person being demonized does not have the occasion to see your results.

As always, success with your projects.

ATR

• 13. Re: Demon Eyes
                                  adobenewbie123 Level 1

I am not the best at photoshop and was struggling to get the colored eye to look round and natural. After some failed attempts,  I discovered an article about changing eye color using the lasso tool which produced somethng I could live with.This is the article:

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/photo-editing/eye-color/

There is more head movement in the clip  than I initially thought  so my plan now is to just end the clip on the still and let it run for additional 3-4 seconds.  The still would have the red satan eyes and if  I put a cross dissolve between the end of the video clip and the still, it might make the change look more gradual.  (there is not too much head movement towards the end but enough where the dissolve needs to be a short one or else it  not lining up  might be  noticeable. So attached is the edited version of the last frame with the red eye inserted.  (I have not imported anythig back into elements as of yet.)red-eyes-hue-pupil.jpg

• 14. Re: Demon Eyes
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

I took some liberties with your photo. After you look at my photo modifications, I will delete the picture if you like.

adobenewbie123.jpg

In Photoshop Elements, I did some Liquify work...the eyes were not opened wide enough,, so I widen them. Did a little general around the eye and ear shaping. I was going to do some detailing within the eye but left it where you see it.

ATR

• 15. Re: Demon Eyes
                                      adobenewbie123 Level 1

Hey ATR,

Pretty neat. So is it the liquify tool that allowed you to reshape the ear as well ?That  is very cool stuff .

I agree the eyes were not open wide enough so I like the fact that you made them bigger.  If it is okay with you, I'd like to play off your version so I can make the color of the  eyes a little less pink and a bit more red.  I think that can be accomplishd easily with the magic wand tool.

If this movie ever gets completed, I need to put you, Bill and Steve in the closing credits as this board has been such a huge help, especially  with all the technical post production issues I've

been facing.

• 16. Re: Demon Eyes
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

adobenewbie123

Thanks for giving a look at my quick experimentation with your screenshot.

No credits needed, just glad for the opportunity to be of assistance with the movie that you are creating.

ATR