6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2013 9:28 AM by JJMack

I need help with vector shapes

bolo121

I have created a shape with the pen tool in CS6, I have multiple shapes that I have built into what should be a single shape. Although when the path tool is not on I can see the single shape I can't seem to set a stroke to it which is an important part of the image design. Can anyone help please

• 1. Re: I need help with vector shapes
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

bolo121 wrote:

I have created a shape with the pen tool in CS6, I have multiple shapes that I have built into what should be a single shape. Although when the path tool is not on I can see the single shape I can't seem to set a stroke to it which is an important part of the image design. Can anyone help please

I don't exactly understand what you wrote.

I could be wrong but what it sound like to me is that you created a path with multiple close pen segments that you combined in a shape layer and the your trying to stroke the shape layer using your mutipal segments path. Which is not possible for a shape layer is a fill layer. That is either not filled, or filed with a solid color or pattern. Strokes on a shape layer are strokes around the shape layers edge or edges. You can stroke other non shape and text layer with you multiple segment path. Add an empty layer on top of your shape layer and stroke the path on it.

a.jpg

Next shape layer solof black fill and red stroke

b.jpg

next add empty layer and stroke the path yellow

c.jpg

• 2. Re: I need help with vector shapes
            bolo121 Level 1

Yes I created a path with multiple close pen segments that I combined in a shape layer, I want to add a stroke to the shape. Some of the paths are not close due erros I made when creating the shape, so I may have to re-do the shape. I Don't want to path showing in the final visual but I do want the shape to appear as one hole shape and not look like its made up do different parts.

• 3. Re: I need help with vector shapes
              bolo121 Level 1

How do I stroke the path in an empty layer?

• 4. Re: I need help with vector shapes
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Could you please post a screenshot with Layers and Paths Panels visible or better yet a file containing the Path itself?

• 5. Re: I need help with vector shapes
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

How do I stroke the path in an empty layer?

• one can apply a stroke on a plain pixel Layer by clicking the »Stroke path with brush« button in the Paths Panel

• as JJMack showed one can apply a Stroke (in the Options Bar) to a Shape Layer and one can set the Fill to empty

• one can apply the Layer Style Stroke to a Solid Color Layer with a Vector Mask and set its Fill to 0%

• 6. Re: I need help with vector shapes
                    JJMack Most Valuable Participant

bolo121 wrote:

I Don't want to path showing in the final visual but I do want the shape to appear as one hole shape and not look like its made up do different parts.

If you can upload your PSD file and post a link to it so we can get what you have now. We can download it a show you what can be done.  You see a path that has multiple closed sub paths is like a layer stack. Each segment is like a layer in a stack of layers and each layer has a mixing mode. Changing modes and order can radically change shapes the path will produce. Herr you see 5 paths all have the same sub paths but not not all have the same order and modes. The paths look different in the Path palette and the shape made with the are quite different.

shapes.jpg

How Photoshop stroke a shape often baffles me Sometime I feel the segment are missing or are extra and should not be there. Its most likely the stacking order and modes. I just can not seem to get a good mind's eye on the stack an modes. I know my brain must be defective in the perfect world how can that be????

stroke1.jpg

stroke2.jpg.

Where is my stroke in this one I sure can not see it. All modes are subtract so Adobe subtracted the stroke I would guess...

WhatStroke.jpg

Message was edited by: JJMack