14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2013 10:54 AM by Soulpolice11

Indesign Table of Contents

Soulpolice11 Level 1

I have set up a TOC which picks up primary headings, and displays them on the TOC using a different paragraph style to the original heading. The original text colour for the heading has some words white (with a blue background) and some text grey. I want ALL the words to appear grey in the TOC listing, so I set up a paragraph style for this with a grey colour. Unfortunately, the listing is coming up with the colours from the original heading, and not the colours specified in the paragraph style allocated to the TOC listing (font and size have all updated correctly, just not colour) Any Ideas?

• 1. Re: Indesign Table of Contents
          gert verrept Level 2

Have you checked if a char style is applied to the text?

• 2. Re: Indesign Table of Contents
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

TOC preserves locally applied text formatting and character styles (as would changing the underlying paragrapg style in the book itself). In order to lose those things any formatting that differs from the character formatting defined in the paragraph style basic and advanced character formats must be handled as a nested style or GREP style so it becomes part of theparagraph style definition.

• 3. Re: Indesign Table of Contents
              Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Peter,

Are you sure about using a nested style or Grep style?

I tried a nested style for the TOC style by applying a new character style of only grey text through the first tab character, which should have changed the applied character style to only grey text. But it didn't work.

I then applied the colors to the header text as local formatting. I then tried a nested style for the TOC style by applying a new character style of only grey text through the first tab character. Once again it didn't work.

It seems that whatever local formatting or character style formatting that is applied to the original headers overrides the style definitions in the TOC. I call that a poor limitation of the TOC styles.

However, I was able to remove the local character formatting using a Find/Change to replace the character style with none.

• 4. Re: Indesign Table of Contents

You need to apply the nested style to the heading stye that you are picking up.

TOC styles are really no different in function than changing the paragrapsh style outside a TOC. If there are locally applied character styles or formatting overrides, they are always preserved when you select a ne paragraph style for any piece of text.

• 5. Re: Indesign Table of Contents

Peter,

I'm not trying to argue, I just am very interested in this problem and want to understand what you're doing that I'm not.

I have set up the following for a TOC

TOC settings.png

I have included the paragraph style A head for text as the ones to include in the TOC. This style has a character color of red. There are no nested styles.

This is how those A head appear in the story.

A heads in story.png

You can see that the A heads are red. You can also see that a character style has been applied to color certain bits of text. There is no repeating pattern that could be used as a GREP or nested style. Manually applying a character style is the only way those bits can be formatted blue.

I then created a nested style for the paragraph style TOC A heads all black. The character color for that style is black. And a nested style has been applied to add black through the tab character for the paragraph.

TOC A head cropped.png

But when I generate the TOC, I can't get rid of the blue.

Generated TOC.png

Are you saying I should use a nested style to apply the color in the A Heads in the story? It can't be done based on the type of words colored.

Are you saying I should do something different to the TOC A heads? If so, what?

• 6. Re: Indesign Table of Contents

OK, I think I wasn't very clear in my first response. And I didn't think you were trying to argue.

Here's the situation, as I see it:

You have the heading in the main story that has some words in gray, and otheres in white on a blue background, and you want all of the text in the TOC listing to to be gray, losing the white on blue.

When the TOC pulls in the text it has attributes previously assigned through the paragraph style that is being picked up, plus any other attributes assigned as a character style applied to selected text, or local formatting applied to selected text in the original heading. You have the option of using the same style, or applying any other paragraph style of your choice to the text in the TOC listing.

Applying a different style will reformat any text in the listing that caries only the paragraph style formatting, but will not change the character style or local formatting overrides, in the same way that changing body text with indent paragraph style to body text without indent paragraph style will change the basic properties of the paragraph, but if you made a word in that paragraph bright red, it will still be bright red after the change.

You get around this in the TOC (or anywhere else) by finding a way to make the color change a part of the paragraph style defintion rather than an add-on to locally selected text. The two basic avenues for doing that are GREP styles and ordinary Nested Styles -- I don't see Line Styles being much help here, but I wouldn't rul it out. That isn't always easy to do, as in your example, but it's probably never impossible (that's why they invented end nested style characters.. ).

Switching from a paragraph style that has nested or GREP styles to one without drops those internally applied character styles the same way switching from a style with drop caps to one without loses the drop cap. Now you can apply any paragraph style you like inthe TOC and it will be free of those annoying extra colors.

Does that make better sense?

• 7. Re: Indesign Table of Contents

I understand totally what you're saying. And I thought I followed those steps in my example. Can you send me a file where this does work?

I can't get it to work

• 8. Re: Indesign Table of Contents

Here's a couple of screen caps to start.

Paragraph Style 1 is basic paragarph with the addition of a red characte style nested to apply to the first to words, paragraphg style 2 I changed the type to Viner Hand so it would be shockingly obvious.

Here's the nested style dialog for Paragragh Style 1:

TOC Styling PStyle 1.png

and here's a sample page with three paragraphs showing variations of formatting:

TOC styling.png

The TOC picks up Basic Paragraph and Paragraph Style 1. Notice the red word at the end is still there, the the tow at the beginning are gone.

Do you need the file?

• 9. Re: Indesign Table of Contents

back to your example...

The reason you couldn't get rid of the blue was you selected the text with your cursor and applied the character style. Here's what happens when you use the end nested style character to "select" the text to turn blue:

TOC Styling PStyle 1 B.png

• 10. Re: Indesign Table of Contents

Peter sent me his files.

He was, of course, correct. I just misunderstood his suggestion.

I thought the original headings, within the text, could not be formatted with nested styles. Peter was showing that they only could be fixed with nested styles.

1 person found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Indesign Table of Contents

Indeed, this is a pretty convoluted subject with much subtlety required in your style constructions where the paragraphs will later be used in a TOC.

And now that you understand what I was saying I'm expecting you to do your usual excellent job of explaining it to everyone else.

• 12. Re: Indesign Table of Contents

Hey Peter,

This has obviously been preying on my mind. But I just figured out a way that the original poster can apply his "local" formatting in a random pattern using nested styles.

Set up the nested styles with the color changes based on the "End Nested Style" character.

That way he can color his heading texts at any point that he wants.

Then, in the TOC style, he can change the nested style definition to a character style with no special colors.

Now I feel better.

• 13. Re: Indesign Table of Contents

I thought that was what I was demonstrating in the second example file (screen shot in post 9). Still need to figure out a better way to explain this, I think.

Sandee Cohen wrote:

Set up the nested styles with the color changes based on the "End Nested Style" character.

That way he can color his heading texts at any point that he wants.

Then, in the TOC style, he can change the nested style definition to a character style with no special colors.

Actually, in the TOC style you don't need any nested styles at all unless you have some other use for them.  Go back and look at file two that I sent you again.

• 14. Re: Indesign Table of Contents
                                    Soulpolice11 Level 1

Thanks guys for all your help - Ive been distracted the past day by another deadline but this is next on the agenda - will go through your comments and hopefully sort out the problem!