29 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 7:46 AM by A.T. Romano

Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc

R Mc 99

Hi,

I am currently trying to burn a dvd on adobe premiere elements 11. The movie is 9.3GB and I am burning onto a 4.7GB disc (Tried a 8.5GB dual layer the other day and same problem occurs).

I clicked burn yesterday at 2pm and the first 4 stages of encoding were completed within about 90 minutes, then it moved onto encoding media. At 4pm, the blue bar stopped at 17% and has remained there since yesterday. Is this normal?

Should I just leave this to run over the next few days?

I successfully burnt 3 copies of a 1.8GB short film last week so know it works, just taking forever...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Are you able to burn these files to a folder on your hard drive rather than directly to a disc?

Here are a list of troubleshooting steps. If you report your results for each step in as much detail as possible we can likely diagnose your problem and recommend solutions.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=30

• 2. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
            R Mc 99 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I left the burn going all last night and it was still at 17% this morning so cancelled it.

Last week I defragmented and empty the recycle bin etc to clean up space and have 57GB free.

I tried to burn to a folder instead and the first four stages took about an hour with no issues, then when it moved to encoding media, it stopped saying "transcoding error"...then a box came up saying "Adobe Premiere Elements is running very low on system memory. Please save your project and proceed with caution." Not sure how to address this problem?

I am now trying to save to an AVI but its been bout 10 minutes and it is still at 0% for rendering and not moving.

I am not very technically minded when it comes to computers so any fixes will need to be step by step so I can do it right.

Thanks

Roley

• 3. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc

If you'll go through the steps in the link I posted above and post your results and information in as much detail as possible, I can likely diagnose your issue and recommend a solution.

• 4. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                A.T. Romano Level 7

R Mc 99

When you are in the burn dialog for Premiere Elements 11 burn to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, what does the quality area say for Space Required and Bitrate when you try to use:

DVD disc spec'd for 4.7 GB/120 minutes as well as DVD disc spec'd for 8.5 GB/240 minutes.

For reference, the 4.7 Gb is in reality 4.38 GB and the 8.5 GB is in reality 7.95 GB.

Where is the burn to hanging...Encoding Menu, Encoding Media, Compiling Media, or Burn?

Where are your Scratch Disks directed and how much free hard drive space is at that location?

What is your computer operating system and just how much installed/available RAM and free hard drive space does that computer have?

Where are those 57 GB free space?

Please include the above in your reply to SG's questions.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                  R Mc 99 Level 1

Thanks ATR,

1) The space required is 3.31GB(Bitrate 8.00Mbps)

2) The burn is hanging on encoding media

3) Never heard of scratch discs and don`t know how to find them

4) Winows 7, RAM 4.00GB, 58.1GB free on local disc

I am not sure what else information I can give. I have replied to Steve`s question and tried the three troubleshooting suggestions and listed the results.

What am I missing here?

Thanks

• 6. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

What are your project properties (as listed under the Edit menu)?

Meantime, try doing a Save As and save your project under a different name, ideally in another directory folder. Just in case your new render files are crashing into your old render files, this will allow you to start fresh.

• 7. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                      R Mc 99 Level 1

Hi Steve,

Am filming on a Canon XA10 in MXP, 1920 x 1080.

Saving to AVCHD Video (.Mts) on computer and uploading files/adding media from folders on computer to Adobe Premiere Elements 11.

The project properties are 1920 x 1080, HDV, 25fps timecode.

I have saved the project again under a different name. Do you think it is worth trying to burn a DVD off this new saved file?

Thanks

• 8. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

R Mc 99

I have been following your thread and do not want to disturb the troubleshooting communication between you and SG.

But, I do have similar and additional questions whose answers might help. Please include the answers in your replies to SG's questions.

1. Do you know if your 1920 x 1080 is interlaced or progressive video....1080i25 or 1080p25? Thank you for the information about the AVCHD and the file extension. mts.

2. When you checked the project settings in Edit Menu/Project Settings/General was your Editing Mode really HDV?

Are you sure it was not HD 1080i?

3. More later on Scratch Disks. For now, please check them out Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks and tell SG how much free hard drive space is at the location to which they are directed. Is all that you have on your computer is about 60 GB of free hard drive space all from the Local Disc C?

We will continue to watch for the progress with your troubleshooting with SG.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                          R Mc 99 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for your questions. All help is appreciated and I am a bit out of my depth at the moment.

"

I have looked up my camera manual and found a note about filming in MXP. It says "movies recorded in MXP mode cannot be saved on ACHVD discs. Use an external Blu-ray Disc recorder to copy MXP movies on Blu-ray discs." Not sure if this has any impact as I successfully burnt a 1.8GB movie last week, using the same camera, settings, computer and program...but thought I`d mention it anyway.

1) I have looked at the camera settings and the two options under frame rate are PF25, which I am using, and 50i. The manual says

Video Signal Configuration:- 1080/50i*

*Recordings made with the (PF25) frame rate are converted and recorded on the memory as 50i.

2) I have checked the Editing Mode and you are correct. It is HD 1080i. I was looking at the wrong box...told you I am new to this!

3) Thanks for the directions to the scratch disc. There is 52.8GB free hard drive space at all the locations listed. Yes, I only have 58.1GB free on my local disc C.

Hopefully this will get us a little bit closer.

Thanks again

Roley

• 10. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

R Mc99

Thanks for adding the additional information for SG's review.

Here are a few more behind the scenes thoughts that I would contribute to the discussion between the two of you.....

a. After you import your video which is AVCHD.mts (1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second - a Canon's PF25), if you right click the thumbnail for the file in Project Assets and select Interpret Footage, what does the Interpret Footage dialog show for Frame Rate - 25 or other?

b. If it is 25, then consider the project preset for that footage

PAL

DLSR

1080p

DLSR 1080p25

If Premiere Elements 11's feature of setting the correct project preset for you does not give you this result, then I would set the project preset manually (File Menu/New/Project) and then import the video into the project with Add Media/Files and Folders.

Although it is important to set up the project preset optimally at the start of troubleshooting, none of the above may be at the core of your issue. That just 52.8 GB free hard drive space catches my attention, especially since you seems to have given the impression that you can bring smaller projects to completion.

Lots of variables to rule in and out in your discussions with SG.

ATR

• 11. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                              R Mc 99 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I have checked the frame rate on the imported clips and it is 25.

How do I go about setting the correct project reset and what would the correct preset be?

As for the free space on local C. Do you think it is worth clearing 100GB of the local disc and trying to burn again? I could move some files to an external hard drive temporarily while I try the burn?

Appreciate the help.

• 12. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                R Mc 99 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Sorry, just found that info on previous post. Will give the project preset a go.

Thanks

• 13. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                  R Mc 99 Level 1

Hi again,

I tried to open a new project, set the project settings as suggested and went to add media/folders...grabbed the preview of the movie and all it did was find about 16 of the 80 project assets.

Is there a way to save the whole movie in the new settings without having to rebuild the movie?

Thanks

• 14. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

R Mc 99

Great idea. I would give that idea priority.

Do you think it is worth clearing 100GB of the local disc and trying to burn again? I could move some files to an external hard drive temporarily while I try the burn?

The party line is that once you set the project preset for a project you cannot change it. You have to start a new project.

But we have shown that under certain circumstances you can do just that by editing the Notepad document of the saved project.prel file. It is often more advisable just to start a new project if it comes to that. The following is the link to my blog post that details the concept of editing the Notepad document of the saved project.pre file to change project settings.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-changing-project-settings-without.html

You can also copy/paste insert between projects, but do you really want to do that if you are dealing with a project with undefinied problems in the first place? But, here is my description of the copy/paste technique. In version 11, it does have a problem with the copy/paste insert of transitions but everything else seems fine.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-clipmate-copypaste-between-pe.html

I am hoping that the additional hard drive space available to the project (scratch files et al) will be effective in this case.

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 15. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc

This camcorder shoots AVCHD video, and this is the project setting you should be using. Assuming you are shooting in 1920x1080 25i, you should be using the project setting for PAL Full AVCHD 1920x1080i.

Are you using Premiere Elements to get the video from the camcorder to your computer so that the video is stored as M2T files?

As ATR points out, you're also going to need lots of free space on your C drive. This needs to be contiguous hard drive space, so if you haven't run Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter in a week or so, it's well worth doing that (in addition to having at least 100 gig of free space).

• 16. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

Back in post 9, R Mc 99 wrote that Canon's PF25 (its version of p25) was being used. From that I advanced with the project preset for 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second (Interpret Footage confirmed  25 fps frame rate), namely

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

In post 7, R Mc 99 offers the file extension of .mts, not .m2t.

ATR

• 17. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc

You're right. This is what happens when you get too many conversations going on at once.

Thanks for taking over this thread.

• 18. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                            R Mc 99 Level 1

Hi ATR & Steve,

Thanks for both of your input in trying to get this sorted. I managed to get 101GB of free space on my local disc yesterday and tried a burn. It went further this time and then got stuck at 35% in encoding media.

I am away for a few days to will get back to this on Tuesday. Be in touch then with any further results.

Appreciate the help so far.

R

• 19. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

R Mc 99

Thanks.

We know so far that increasing the hard drive space seems to have gained us some burn to 17% to 35%, and you have stated at the onset that you can get a burn to 100% when the source file is 1.8 GB, not the 9.3 GB. Can you still get the 1.8 GB source to burn to DVD?

Have you tried the burn to from a Timeline content in the project with the project settings suggested as appropriate for your source media?

I do not recall if you said that you had Windows 7 32 bit or Windows 7 64 bit? Please remind us which one.

We will be watching for further developments next week when you have time.

ATR

• 20. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                                R Mc 99 Level 1

Hi ATR.

I am still no further ahead although I have been trying to sort this out with local computer people as my understanding of computer lingo is limited.

To answer your questions above...

1) Yes, I can still get the 1.8GB to burn successfully.

2) I do not know how to burn from a timeline content. Can you advise on this?

3) I have Windows 7 32 bit.

I took my computer to a local computer fixing company and had everything checked out. They have said there is more than enough free space and can see no technical reason why the burn won`t work. They couldn`t burn anything within adobe, where as I have been able to have some success. Their answer was that I need to reformat every clip to MP4 and then rebuild the entire 50 minute movie. I questioned this as the succesful burns I have completed have  used the same camera, same settings, same computer and adobe premiere elements 11. I got my computer back 10 days later, less a whack of money and no further ahead.

I then went to a local video production company and they kindly tried to do a couple of variations on a burn and also were unsuccessful. Their suggestion was to ditch APE11 and use their "Vegas Pro" option. I have had a look at this and don`t really like it. I know APE11 and find it very user-friendly...except for this burn.

These guys also said I should be using DVD-R discs not DVD+R discs, so I encoded my 1.8GB movie and set it up for 3 dics to be burnt. The first burn I used a DVD-R and it wouldn`t play on my DVD player, the second two burns I used DVD+R and these both recorded and play fine on my DVD., so I guess that answers that questions although I do not understand the reasoning behind it.

I am really stuck now and need some more step-by-step help.

Thanks

R

• 21. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

R

Your problem has all the sound of computer resource issue. Is there any chance you can get your Premiere Elements 11 to Windows 7 64 bit with about 8 GB RAM installed and, at least, 500 GB free hard drive space? Right now you are dealing with large project in a 32 bit application. Premiere Elements 11 is a 32 bit application in Windows 7 32 bit with all the limitations of 32 bit, namely, max supported installed RAM = 4 GB with typically 3 GB or less of that are available. Premiere Elements 11 is a 64 bit application in Windows 7 or 8 64 bit as well as Mac 64 bit. Larger projects have a higher success rate where the 64 bit resources can be utilized by Premiere Elements 64 bit application.

You are dependent on the player specifications for what it will play, not only the format on the disc but also the disc type. I was surprised that your DVD-VIDEO on DVD-R had problems with your player. But, check out the player specifications as well as the disc brand reliability factor.

But, do not give up on the here and now. Let us try the burn to folder.

Here is the plan. You have your 9 GB file on the Premiere Elements 11 Timeline.

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD

burn to: Folder (4.7 GB)

use the preset = PAL_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

If the burn to folder completes successfully, then find the saved folder from the process at the location that you designated in the burn dialog, and then select and burn to DVD in Img Burn that whole VIDEO_TS Folder.

The instructions for the ImgBurn download and use of the program for getting that VIDEO_TS on the DVD as DVD-VIDEO are in the following link:

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burn_dvd_folder_imgburn.cfm

Please review the article. I am going to put together some screenshots to re-enforce the how to.

More later.

ATR

• 22. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                                    R Mc 99 Level 1

Hi ATR,

I have rung another computer company to see if I can have memory added to my computer and am waiting for their call back.

In the meantime, I tried to burn to a folder, following the instructions you gave me. Two things happened...

1) About 20% of the way into the "encoding menu 2 of 4" a box popped up saying "APE is running very low on system memory. Please save your project and proceed with caution."

2) I let it continue to run and when it had completed encoding all four menus, it then stopped at 0% on the next step and read "transcoding error".

So no progress made today.

Thoughts?

Thanks

• 23. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

R Mc 99

It is almost 1:30 am where I am and I am going to be call it a day.

All so far is pointing to a computer resource issue. But, a just in case note, with your Windows 7 32 bit, it is not going to support installed RAM greater than 4 GB. Please remind me how much RAM you have installed now.

I have run into situations where the format of the Timeline content can result in those low memory moments and messages.

In a few hours, I will write up a check list for pile up of Premiere Elements files on your computer (preview files, conformed video, and conformed audio).

More later.

Thanks for the update. Sorry that the news was not better. But we will work on better, coming soon.

ATR

• 24. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

R Mr 99

For checking...

1. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disk

a. make sure that they are all directed to the same place, preferably an external hard drive formatted NTFS (not FAT32) with enough free hard drive space to accept them.

b. note where you have directed them

2. If you are using defaults Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/version number (that is the area in my Windows 7 64 bit)...check Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks for location if elsewhere.

a. Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder. Look for pile ups of preview files. How much do you find there? If you delete, content that the trace make to will need to be rendered ONLY if you need a best possible preview. So, delete..

b. Media Cache Folder. Essentially these are conformed audio files (cfa and pek sets). Delete. They will be regenerated by the program when and if needed.

3. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media

a. In the Media Cache Database section, hit the Clean button. This will clean out the conformed video (.mcdb) whose hard drive location is listed in this section. They will be regenerated by the program when and if needed.

What are the formats on that Timeline...any DV AVI type 1, Xvid.avi, DivX.avi?

We will watch for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 25. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                                          R Mc 99 Level 1

Hi ATR

See below for answers...

• 26. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

R Mc 99

In post 25, it looks like you were trying to get more details posted but problems developed in the posting.

Please try again.

We are looking forward to getting you moving forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

Thanks.

ATR

• 27. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                                              R Mc 99 Level 1

Hi ATR

Will try again...

1. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disk

a. make sure that they are all directed to the same place, preferably an external hard drive formatted NTFS (not FAT32) with enough free hard drive space to accept them. I went into scratch discs and they are all directed to "same as project" except for Media Cache = "Custom"

I don`t know how to tell if there is enough free hard drive except they are directed to my documents, so I guess the free sapce on my computer is the answer. I cannot see where I can change the direction of this? If I plug in an external hard-drive and direct them to this, will I need to have this in place everytime I want to build a film?

b. note where you have directed them They are currently directed to C:/User...Premiere Elements Auto-Save/...need advise on how to redirect them as above...

2. If you are using defaults Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/version number (that is the area in my Windows 7 64 bit)...check Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks for location if elsewhere. I am not sure what I am using? How do I find this out for you?

a. Adobe Premiere Elements Preview Files Folder. Look for pile ups of preview files. How much do you find there? If you delete, content that the trace make to will need to be rendered ONLY if you need a best possible preview. So, delete..Have deleted preview folders and auto save folders, leaving only 1 of each film in there.

b. Media Cache Folder. Essentially these are conformed audio files (cfa and pek sets). Delete. They will be regenerated by the program when and if needed. Huh? I found Edit/preferences/media...but no media cache folder?

3. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media

a. In the Media Cache Database section, hit the Clean button. This will clean out the conformed video (.mcdb) whose hard drive location is listed in this section. They will be regenerated by the program when and if needed. Okay did this.

What are the formats on that Timeline...any DV AVI type 1, Xvid.avi, DivX.avi? I am unsure if I am looking in the right place but each clip or music track has a format? description...only .MTS (V) Opacity on the videos and .wma for music. I have used the inbuilt movie menu and scene selection options but don`t know what formet these are. If I have this completely wrong, please let me know.

Thanks for not giving up on this.

• 28. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                                                R Mc 99 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Did you get my response to this?

Thanks

• 29. Re: Encoding media gets stuck at 17% when burning DVD disc
                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

R Mc 99

Sorry, I think that I must have lost track of your prior post with the information that was on its way. Glad you posted your follow up message.

If you do not have an external hard drive to which to point the Scratch Disks, then please use the following scheme for now...

Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks

a. Point them all to the same place. Remember, the project's Save In location is set in the new project dialog, not in Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks like the other project assets listed there. In the Scratch Disc location, I prefer to browse to and set for a special path rather than leave "Same As Project".

ScratchDisks.JPG

Here I left "Same As Project" for all, but made sure of where the project was being saved by checking the new project dialog Save In field. The arrow in the screenshot points to where you will see how much free hard drive space is

at the location to which the Scratch Disk is directed. How much do you have listed for all? Here I have all directed to an external hard drive that has the drive letter E and has 922.4 GB free hard drive space.

Your settings of the project and Scratch Disks should hold from project to project, but no guarantees, so best to check to see what have within a project and from project to project, especially when you are using Save As Project instead of a specific path.

Suggestion, if Local Disc C, browse to

Libraries

Documents

Adobe

Premiere Elements

the set should look something like C:\User...\Adobe\Premiere Elements\11.0

you should not be seeing "Auto-Save"....Adobe Premiere Elements AutoSave Folder is in the 11.0 Folder. In this scenario you want the all the Scratch Disk pointed to the 11.0 Folder not the AutoSave folder within this 11.0 folder. Think about that one including what you are setting in the Premiere Elements 11 preferences and the location being designated in Documents. Also, check out what is going on in the Encoding Folder in that line up of Folders in the 11.0 Folder in the Documents area.

Reminder...about Media Cache Folder....the Media Cache Folder in Documents (Adobe Folder/Premiere Elements/11.0) has the conformed audio files.

For Edit Menu/Preferences/Media, just hit the Clean button there to clear out the conformed video files. Note that the path to what you are deleting is shown in Edit Menu/Preferences/Media

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Common

In the Common Folder there is this other Media Cache folder with the conformed video files (.mcdb).

For video properties, you can always get a readout from a program like MediaInfo

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

but for now you can right click the file in Project Assets and let us know the frame size and other properties information for what is in this project.

Lots of details but the focus here is

In view of the low memory messages...

a. assure that computer resources are not being eaten up by pile ups of Scratch Files

b. assure that your project's format's computer resource demands are not exceeding your computer

resources.

Please review. If necessary, I will fine tune what I have written.

Thanks.

ATR