17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2014 3:13 AM by markangelil

6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6

jamesp2 Level 1

With 6.0.5, CS6 has joined the ranks of CC, in not being able to retain links to rendered areas of the t-l when warp stabilization is applied to the footage (there may be other conditions as well which cause lost renders, haven't tested) -- not occasionally, but all the time.  Render once, and you'll have to render again when the program is reloaded.  This was not occurring under 6.0.3 -- at least, not all the time.

And no, I'm not submitting a bug report because 1) Adobe does not formally acknowledge existing anomalies (thereby saving its users a great deal of trouble), much less respond to bug reports, 2) as evidenced by the recent staff participation in the forum, Adobe doesn't appear to read bug reports or forum discussions carefully enough to understand what's at issue, and 3) unless the bug is instantly and easily reproduced, and is relatively trivial, as with the source window behavior in 6.0.4, the fix will take years anyway.

• 1. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6
          joe bloe premiere Level 5

And no, I'm not submitting a bug report...

Then what's your point?

You can file a bug report / feature request here:

http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 2. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm not seeing that behavior here, either in 6.0.5 or in CC.  Both programs open up with all previews intact, even from Warp Stabilizer.

• 3. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6
              jamesp2 Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

I'm not seeing that behavior here, either in 6.0.5 or in CC.  Both programs open up with all previews intact, even from Warp Stabilizer.

Forgive me, but I know from earlier threads that you don't see this behavior.  Others, however, do -- and conditions under which it does happen, including complete applied filter lists and type of footage used, have been supplied in other threads.

As best I can tell, the bug has been reported for years, and Adobe doesn't deny it's present in either CS6 or CC.   What exactly is the point of claiming it's not happening to you, absent an explanation of why it isn't?

I know, bad temper.....

• 4. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6
                Jim_Simon Level 8

The point is sort of an affirmation of your third item.  The bug is not easily reproducible.  It doesn't affect everyone, there is no set of steps you can list out to make it show up.  That means there is as yet an unknown variable, something true for you but not for most.

• 5. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6
                  jamesp2 Level 1

Here's what I suggest then:  replicate conditions I've already detailed in other threads, at Adobe's request, and see what happens.

Create a timeline with both 1920x1080 jpegs and AVCHD clips.  Apply WS and fast CC, luma curve and anything else you want to throw in to one of the AVCHD clips.  Then render, save, exit, restart and see what happens -- in both 6.0.5 and CC.  If that works, try a third-party filter, like a power window.

Will the Buddha make an appearance?  Who knows?  But at least in this case, we can move toward elimination of factors.

• 6. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Tested in both 6.0.5 and 7.0.1.  Previews came up fine in both cases.

• 7. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6

jamesp2 wrote:

Here's what I suggest then:  replicate conditions I've already detailed in other threads, at Adobe's request, and see what happens.

Maybe you could:

Create a Project that consistently exhibits your concern,

zip it up along with the media and post it for others

to download and try to replicate the problem.

As a CS6.0.5 user, I'd be willing to give it a go.

• 8. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6
                        jamesp2 Level 1

The problem is, behavior is inconsistent.  I just rendered t-l material in 6.0.5, which had routinely lost its link to render files since the 6.0.5 "upgrade", but this time the links held -- despite the fact that there was no change of settings, preferences, etc., not even additional editing.

Other users have reported similar experiences, though often attributing the retained links to unlikely factors (unchecking xmp writing, not saving from a T-L with renders in it, etc.) which, my guess is, have nothing to do with it (and either don't work, or don't "work" for long).

• 9. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

Now you see why it's so difficult to track down the cause here.

• 10. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6
                            jamesp2 Level 1

Difficult for individuals maybe, but it's been widely reported, and based on comments read here, for years apparently.

Also, the large majority of instances at this point are failures.  Retained links are at best an oddity.  It's impossible to believe that between Adobe and its beta testers, nobody's seen it.

And the staff comments here often come off as puzzled -- despite the fact that numerous posters report the issue and have done so before, in other threads.  Doesn't give a lot of confidence.

Again, it would be very helpful if Adobe maintained a public list of known anomalies.  Does the user have to convince the company that the bug is actually present?  Does the company concede that bug is present, but isn't working on it?  Is the bug actually being worked on?   etc. etc. etc.  Otherwise, it's all endless duplication and useless complaining.

• 11. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6
                              Jim_Simon Level 8
                              Difficult for individuals maybe,

You do know that Adobe employees are individuals.  They're not a Borg-like hive mind.  They're having just as much trouble locking down a cause.  The closest I've heard so far is that it seems to be related to third-party plug-ins (though which ones was never mentioned).

And according to Adobe, it is a small percentage of users reporting the bug.  It's not a widespread issue affecting most users of PP like the spanned clips issue in CS6, or the multicam issue from CC.  So it's entirely possible that Adobe hasn't seen it in their labs or with beta testers. I mean, I just ran your specific test and had no problems with previews.  Hell, even you just opened the same project and the preivews loaded.

It's a tough nut to crack, is all I'm saying.

• 12. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6

And the staff comments here often come off as puzzled

All of your reported problems are puzzling,

and not consistently reproducible... I've tried them all.

• 13. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6
                                  jamesp2 Level 1

Well, the AVCHD/AVC-intra "bug" (let's not call it a "feature"; I still have hopes Adobe will fix it) has been confirmed by everyone who's actually tested it, with the specified conditions (timelines consisting of short clips or short subclips from short clips) and reported back here.  This includes Mr. Simon, though he somewhat understates the laggyness in my view, and doesn't regard it as important (some of us do!).  It also includes Eric Bowen, whose [frustrated] customer base must be a useful source of information.

And there are a number of threads on lost renders.  For every complainer, there have got to be dozens of users suffering in silence.  Or who abandon the product for something else, in frustration.

So we've got one "feature" and one widely reported but poorly understood bug.  I wish I knew what you guys are doing to avoid lost renders (assuming, of course, it's not project-specific, which I suspect is the case), but until then one can only hope Adobe fixes it.

Of course, it would be useful to know if Adobe actually acknowledges these issues, and whether it's working on them, if only to save one's breath, but maybe that's too much to expect from Corporate America.

• 14. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6

I have tried more than once to replicate your AVCHD problem.

The latest attempt:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5643729#5643729

You say my test did not meet your "specified conditions".

Can you create a Project that consistently exhibits your concern,

zip it up along with the media and post it for others to download

and try to replicate the problem?

I'd be willing to give it a go

Your AVCHD problem is described here:

Lagging response of AVC-I and AVCHD Footage on Time-Line

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5340055#5340055

For every complainer, there have got to be dozens of users suffering in silence.

In my experience on this Forum,

people having a problem like you describe are never silent.

• 15. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6
                                      Jim_Simon Level 8

For every complainer, there have got to be dozens of users suffering in silence.

Possibly, but Adobe prioritizes based on number of reports, so...

I wish I knew what you guys are doing to avoid lost renders

Not 'doing' anything.  It just doesn't happen for most people.  I mean, what did you 'do' to make the previews load the last time you opened that project?  The better question is why aren't they loading?  That has been the difficult question to answer.

it would be useful to know if Adobe actually acknowledges these issues

They're aware of it.  Like I said, the current thinking is that it's related to third-party plug-ins.

• 16. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6
                                        Greg Popp Level 1

I have a ten minute film in Premiere Pro CC.  It's 4K DPX color-corrected image files at this point, imported from a SpeedGrade export.  I'm in software mode as I'm a Macbook Retina owner who suffers from problems with CUDA not working.  I rendered the entire timeline to ProRes 4K 422 so it would play (the DPX is too much for my computer to handle). 

I can close and reopen the project and retain the previews EXCEPT for two DPX clips where I applied warp stabillizer.  Every time I lose them and have to re-render. 

In defense of Jamesp2.

• 17. Re: 6.0.5 introduces CC-level lost render files to CS6
                                          markangelil

Same here. All the renders are linked except from the nested clips with warp stabilizer. Any idea how to fix this?