13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2013 12:51 PM by Jim_Simon

new machine build - advice for GPU

jsanchez81

i have been saving up for years to replace my computer & all the reasearch i have been doing for the past few weeks has my head spinning. forums & benchmarks have a lot of conflicting info.

what im going for is a machine to mainly do (in order of priority)

1. CS6 - Premiere & After affects.

2. (3) 1080p displays for playback/presentation of 1080p video

3. 3D modeling/animation

4. AutoCAD 2d/3d

(not a gamer)

(no 4k use)

(budget around $2000)

so far what im leaning towards:

- Intel Core i7-3930K Hexa-Core Processor 3.2 Ghz 12 MB Cache LGA 2011

- ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Asus

- Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

- cooler, 850w power, ssd, hdd, etc.

im really having a hard time with the GPU - there are so many cards & variables & benchmarks. what ive read has lead me to believe that CUDA cores are important for rendering times along with the CPU, Vram only assists with display and 3d. would a 680 with 4GB suffice? it seems hard to believe that the newer cards 760 770 780, would not perform as well as a card older than a year or more unless the software has yet to catch up.

questions:

- ideal GPU under $700

- does the MHz of the ram affect anything

- anyone utilized ram disk before?

thanks for your time

• 1. Re: new machine build - advice for GPU
          JEShort01 Level 4

I'd say that your research has paid off - you are clearly headed in the right direction!

I completely agree w/ your build list so far.

The 780 video card is outstanding, and although it just squeaks under your budget of $700, it is indeed less than $700. You did say you are using Autocad too, and I will plead ignorance regarding what type of video card is necessary and/or helpful for Autocad; you should probably mention the Autocad version too, that could be important (it sure is for GPU recommendations with Adobe Premiere!).

Regarding GPU RAM, the only 2 important specifications are size (how much) and bandwidth (how fast - typically in GB/sec.); nothing else really matters. At the price point you are considering, the bandwidth will be plenty fast.

I've played with RAM disk and surprisingly it did not help at all. I suspect that if you had enough RAM to hold everything (i.e. 512GB of RAM for projects, cache, scratch, outputs, etc.) it would help out.

Regarding RAM MHz, 1600 Mhz is great, slower will slow you down a measurable, but not noticeable amount. Faster than 1600 MHz will help, but so little it wil even be hard to measure.

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: new machine build - advice for GPU
            jsanchez81 Level 1

thanks for the reply.

im not entirely sure on ideal GPUs for autoCAD (2012) but i have seen it perform well on lower end cards, so i think it will be ok with any of these higher end consumer cards

thanks for the info on RAM & RAM disk. i might give it a shot when i can upgrade from 32gb to 64gb

i noticed that the 780 only came in 3GB - would that hinder video playback on 4 screens?

titan has 2688 CUDA Cores & 6GB 384-bit GDDR5 @ 288GB/sec $999

780 has 2304 CUDA Cores & 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 @ 288GB/sec $660

770 has 1536 CUDA Cores & 2-4GB 256-bit GDDR5 @ 224.3GB/sec $410

760 has 1152 CUDA Cores & 2-4GB 256-bit GDDR5 @ 192.2GB/sec $260

if i could grab the titan i would, but i think the 780 sounds pretty good. i didnt see it on adobes supported cards list??

• 3. Re: new machine build - advice for GPU
              Jim_Simon Level 9

Considering PP alone, I think the 760 is the sweet spot, offering 90% of the performance for 50% of the price.  But Autocad should be considered.  Typically Quadro cards are better in that arena (or so I've heard.).

• 4. Re: new machine build - advice for GPU
                jsanchez81 Level 1

im not too worried about CAD, its never been as resource hungry for me as PP & AE

i dunno if i see the 760 in the same light, its definitely between the 770 & 780 (leaning 780) as soon as i can pin down compatibility with CS6

• 5. Re: new machine build - advice for GPU
                  JEShort01 Level 4

The 780 blows away the 770 (and 760), especially if you ever upgrade past CS6.

Check out the cuda core #s for each!

• 6. Re: new machine build - advice for GPU
                    jsanchez81 Level 1

you wouldnt happen to know of any links, articles or benchmarks you could steer me towards?

• 7. Re: new machine build - advice for GPU
                      JEShort01 Level 4

I normally use Google to navigate to nVidia's specification listing since that is WAY faster than going through the menus on nVidia's site. For example, GOOGLE using all of the text on the following line and the first suggested link takes you right to the specs page:

gtx 780 specs site:nvidia.com

Here too is a specific link for a nVidia page that allows for chasing down various card specs:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus

Click on the "more info" and then "Specifications" links for whatever card you want to see the full listing of specifications for.

For Premiere Pro benchmarks, check out Bill and Harm's ever so useful PPBM5 (www.ppbm5.com) and PPBM6 (www.ppbm7.com) benchmarks. The second one listed requires registration, but there is no cost to do so at this time.

Regards,

Jim

• 8. Re: new machine build - advice for GPU
                        Jim_Simon Level 9

The 780 blows away the 770 (and 760)

In real world tests?  I'd be interested in seeing those comparative benchmarks.  (PPBM doesn't count, as it's not properly comparative.)

• 9. Re: new machine build - advice for GPU
                          jsanchez81 Level 1

Jim Simon wrote:

The 780 blows away the 770 (and 760)

In real world tests?  I'd be interested in seeing those comparative benchmarks.  (PPBM doesn't count, as it's not properly comparative.)

im also very curious to see Premiere and/or After Effects benchmarks.

id buy the 780 now if it was on the Adobe list for "Supported NVIDIA graphics cards for GPU acceleration"

ive read a few things were some simply edit a TXT file and it worked which sounds too easy to be true

• 10. Re: new machine build - advice for GPU
                            cc_merchant Level 4

Jim,

There is no doubt the GTX 780 is significantly faster than the GTX 770 and the GTX 760, but to say it blows away the 770 (and 760) is overdone and may lead people astray.

You have to realize that the number of CUDA cores in this latest generation of video cards is so big, that for most editing tasks they are hardly used at all. The bottleneck is the memory bandwidth, as argued by Harm here: Video Card Performance. Based on the data in that chart, the GTX 760 is about equally fast as the GTX 680, the GTX 770 is about equally fast as a GTX 680 OC'ed.

Where would the GTX 780 come out then, in that chart? Bill has tested this with the GTX 780 and though it was clearly faster, it shows the law of diminishing returns with a result of 26 seconds. Now, if you take into consideration the price of the 780 that is more than double the price of a 770, DVD creation from HD material must be a very, very important part of one's workflow to justify the extra $$. BTW, that is in dire contrast to Adobe's stance, that DVD delivery is dead, only not everyone knows it...

One other useful link may be this page: Tweakers Page.

• 11. Re: new machine build - advice for GPU
                              Jim_Simon Level 9

There is no doubt the GTX 780 is significantly faster than the GTX 770 and the GTX 760

I have doubt.  I'd have thought the 680 when it appeared would have blown away all other cards of the time, with it's 3x CUDA cores, but the speed increase was much less than I expected, and in my view, not at all worth the price premium.  That's why I'm looking for proper comparative benchmarks, ones where only the card changed between tests.  PPBM results is not such a test.

Yes, the 780 has the advantage in both cores and memory bandwidth, but does real world testing show that it's worth 3x the price of a 760?  The proper comparative benchmarks from below suggest it may not be.

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

Granted, they were not running CC, and the comparison was between the 770 and the 680.  But there's only a 1 second difference there for Blu-ray and 2 seconds for DVD.  That's why I doubt the 770 or the 780 are worth the extra money, and consider the 760 may be the sweet spot for price/performance.

• 12. Re: new machine build - advice for GPU
                                cc_merchant Level 4

I have doubt.  I'd have thought the 680 when it appeared would have blown away all other cards of the time, with it's 3x CUDA cores, but the speed increase was much less than I expected, and in my view, not at all worth the price premium.

Because you are mistakenly looking at number of CUDA cores. That is largely irrelevant. You should look at memory bandwidth.

The proper comparative benchmarks from below suggest it may not be.

Define 'proper', when you refuse to see test results on the same system with only the video card changed to show differences, as in the chart linked to previously.

• 13. Re: new machine build - advice for GPU
                                  Jim_Simon Level 9

You should look at memory bandwidth.

I found that out afterwards.

you refuse to see test results on the same system with only the video card changed to show differences, as in the chart linked to previously.

Not 'refused' so much as 'missed'.  I don't see any results comparing those three (700 series) cards on the page linked to, showing which card is which along with the specific test performed.