11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2013 2:50 PM by the_wine_snob

Timeline does not show any pictures

walkeal

I have a HP computer with 1.2 TB and 8 MB memory Intel Core I 7 64 Bit. There is no problem importing from my DV Camcorder and the video plays well and the cursor line moves along the timeline.

The problem is that there is only a black box showing on a small part of the timeline. No pictures at all and it refuses to expand out like it should so I cannot edit anything.

I have been using PE for a number of years (and versions) but this is a new problem. The opening potion of the 11 version is not as intuitive as the 10 so perhaps i did something wrong at the advanced edit stage.

I tried importing the approximately ten minute movie with one of the automatic movie makers in Adobe and that worked well but I want to edit my own movie and can't.

• 1. Re: Timeline does not show any pictures
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Two immediate thoughts:

In the Video Track Header, you have the ability to toggle through thumbnail displays. That can be set to First, First & Last, All, or None. Check that that is not set to None.

Second, if one has an issue with displays in the GUI, a first step should be to check that they have the very latest video driver:

• What is your video card, make and model?
          • What is the version and date of your installed video driver?
          • Is that the latest from nVidia, or AMD/ATI?
          • If not, download and install the latest version for your OS, reboot and test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Timeline does not show any pictures
            A.T. Romano Level 7

walkeal

If Hunt's suggested steps do not resolve the problem, could you post a screenshot of what you are observing?

Just in case note...

a. please confirm if you are working in the Expert or the Quick workspace of Premiere Elements 11 (can we assume on Windows 7 or 8 64 bit?)

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Timeline does not show any pictures
              walkeal Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the prompt response.

1                     I couldn’t find the place in the video track header with anything about thumbnails.

2                     The video card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB. I updated the drivers.

3                     I uploaded the video again from the camera.

4                     At the beginning of the upload I get the message – “Your current camera setting is different from your project setting. Results may not be optimized. Click here to learn more”.

5                     That just took me to the whole HELP screen and I cannot find anything there about the settings etc. It does not say where to find the information it is supposed to be guiding me to. I just clicked OK on the original message and continued on.

6                     It started uploading the video ( I had left it to split the video at the pauses) and then stopped with the message – “unknown error” – ( I used to get that with older versions of PE too) I just clicked “OK” than it analyses the clip and away it goes again for a short while until I had to repeat the process, over and over again. This for a 12 minute video.

7                     After that the upload appears normal and – although there are blank spaces in the expert timeline – the clips go all the way to the end, The movie plays but stops along the way. The stops at the last playing were at 30secs -1min 20secs – 3 min 12 secs – 7 min 28 secs – and 11 min – 44secs.

8                     This was after I tried rendering it but I don’t think that happened because nothing told me it was rendering or that it had rendered. Also it seemed to start rendering – the cursor started moving along the timeline – but it only got just over 1 minute along the timeline and then shot back to the start. I tried 4 or 5 times and gave up.

9                     I now have a semi workable video

10                 I also had a response from ATR with a couple more questions which I will also answer here. I was working in “EXPERT” and have windows 7 – 64bit.

Alan

• 4. Re: Timeline does not show any pictures
                walkeal Level 1

Hi ATR and thanks for your assistance. Here is my response to Bill. I don’t think you need a screen shot now and also, I do not know how to do one anyway.

Regards,

Alan

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the prompt response.

1                     I couldn’t find the place in the video track header with anything about thumbnails.

2                     The video card is an AMD Radeon HD 6450 1GB. I updated the drivers.

3                     I uploaded the video again from the camera.

4                     At the beginning of the upload I get the message – “Your current camera setting is different from your project setting. Results may not be optimized. Click here to learn more”.

5                     That just took me to the whole HELP screen and I cannot find anything there about the settings etc. It does not say where to find the information it is supposed to be guiding me to. I just clicked OK on the original message and continued on.

6                     It started uploading the video ( I had left it to split the video at the pauses) and then stopped with the message – “unknown error” – ( I used to get that with older versions of PE too) I just clicked “OK” than it analyses the clip and away it goes again for a short while until I had to repeat the process, over and over again. This for a 12 minute video.

7                     After that the upload appears normal and – although there are blank spaces in the expert timeline – the clips go all the way to the end, The movie plays but stops along the way. The stops at the last playing were at 30secs -1min 20secs – 3 min 12 secs – 7 min 28 secs – and 11 min – 44secs.

8                     This was after I tried rendering it but I don’t think that happened because nothing told me it was rendering or that it had rendered. Also it seemed to start rendering – the cursor started moving along the timeline – but it only got just over 1 minute along the timeline and then shot back to the start. I tried 4 or 5 times and gave up.

9                     I now have a semi workable video

10                 I also had a response from ATR with a couple more questions which I will also answer here. I was working in “EXPERT” and have windows 7 – 64bit.

Alan

• 5. Re: Timeline does not show any pictures
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Walkeal,

Here is the icon, that toggles the Video Track Display Style:

PrE11_Track_Display_01.png

Check that toggle, to make sure that you have not accidentally changed that to None.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Timeline does not show any pictures
                    walkeal Level 1

Bill, thanks for your effort but when I click on the link, or copy and paste it,  I get – “Cannot open because it is the wrong type of file”and then Adobe opens up at the organizer screen on the “Quick” tab. I still cannot find any toggle.

Alan

• 7. Re: Timeline does not show any pictures
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

That attached image is to show you where the toggle is located on your PrE Project's Video Track Header.

Take a close look at the little area, before the actual Timeline starts - the Track Header. For the Video Tracks, there is a little "film strip" icon. Unlike similar in PrPro, when you click on that, with a Clip in the Timeline, the Display will cycle through the options, All (shows a thumbnail representing all Frames), Show First (will show one thumbnail, at the beginning, then black for the rest), First & Last (same as for First, but then there will be a thumbnail for the Last Frame too, with black in between), and None (which will be ALL black, with just the File Name showing at the top of the Head of that Clip). In PrE, each click of that "film strip" icon will change the Display, one version, at a time. [In PrPro, a similar icon brings up a drop-down list, that allows the user to pick the Display Mode that they want. Took me a moment to realize that PrE's version was a cycling toggle - no drop-down.]

Different editors like to use one, vs the rest, and might also like, say All initially, then switch to First, or to None, as they progress in the editing of the Project. Those thumbnails require resources to display, and depending on many factors, can cause the display of the Timeline to lag. I usually leave mine Display set to First, though once I have moved well into my Project, will switch that to None.

Good luck, and as you click that "film strip" icon, watch a Clip in that Track (separate Display choice for each Track), and see if the thumbnail Display changes for you.

Hunt

• 8. Re: Timeline does not show any pictures
                        walkeal Level 1

Bill,

Eureka!  That did it. No wonder I couldn’t find it. I toggled the film strip and there it all is.

Many thanks for your patience. Now I will open another forum case to see if anyone can help with the stopping and starting problem. Especially with rendering.

All the best

Alan

• 9. Re: Timeline does not show any pictures
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Alan,

Great news! Thanks for reporting your success.

I had a similar issue, when I first added PrE to my "toolbox." I was used to the drop-down menu from PrPro, and did not notice the toggle effect, the first time that I tried it. Then, with a longer Clip showing, it hit me - A TOGGLE! That was MY "Eureka! moment," so I am glad to have shared that with you.

Happy editing, and if that was helpful, please do not forget to mark your thread as Answered. That will help others, when the come to it later on, via a Search.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Timeline does not show any pictures
                            walkeal Level 1

OK. Now I see my earler problem. I was corresponding through my email and did not get the beautiful - and simple to follow - picture I can now see a few posts above. This would certainl have helped with the "toggle"

• 11. Re: Timeline does not show any pictures
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Ah, that is an issue, when replying through e-mail, or some portable devices. Same thing happens the other way - the poster thinks that they have attached an Image, say a requested screen-cap, but if viewing/responding via a POP client, it does not attach.

Same sort of thing happens, with some POP clients, where the text that the poster has entered, does not show in the forum - we see nothing.

Glad that it's sorted now, and happy editing,

Hunt