4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2013 10:57 AM by Courtney Clemons

install flash on my mac... impossible

Courtney Clemons

I am trying to install flash player on my mac 10.5.8 I just want to watch some youtube...why is this soooo dificult.

• 1. Re: install flash on my mac... impossible
          Mike M Level 6

Is your Mac Intel or PowerPC?  It makes a HUGE difference.

• 2. Re: install flash on my mac... impossible
            Courtney Clemons Level 1

My Mac is an intel. I have had it for 6 years and I have had no problems

with flash player it has played all of my videos and music. Until I needed

an updated version a few days ago and tired downloading it..instead it said

to uninstall my current an install the newer version. Well this didn't

work, now I have no flash player. And when I go to flash player website to

download, it says my computer isn't compatible.

• 3. Re: install flash on my mac... impossible
              Mike M Level 6

Here's your dilemna:

OS 1.0 5 was the FINAL "Universal Binary" build of OS X that Mac ever made - meaning it ran on PowerPC and Intel Macs. Because of that, software (including Flash Player) for OS 10.5 was of a different framework to be compatible with either processor architecture. 

Flash Player 10.3.183.90 (Mac only)

THAT's the most recent build of Flash Player that will run on 10.5.8.  Unfortunately, most Flash content today requires 11.2 or higher, and it simply isn't available for your OS. This is the computing world's way of telling you that OS 10.5 is becoming obsolete, if it isn't already. That's the bad news.

The good news is: While your OS may be obsolete, your Mac certainly isn't. You can upgrade to OS 10.6.8 (and unfortunately, due to the age of your Mac, that's as far as you can go - OS 10.7 or 10.8 require a 2010 or newer Mac to install) for just $20: http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard OS 10.6.8 WILL run the latest Flash Player and will allow you to access web content for a few years to come. That's a lot cheaper than going out and getting a new Mac.

• 4. Re: install flash on my mac... impossible
                Courtney Clemons Level 1

THANK YOU...This is all making sense now...I will be purchasing the latest

version of snow leopard OSX 10.6, so I can have the latest version of

flash. because I have tried to download the archived version that you

provided me in the link as well but it doesn't have any content to

download. I get to the install flash player icon but it doesn't open or do

anything.. in fact it says not responding.