4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 1, 2013 9:04 PM by Jeff Arola

Pen tool mystery

ewormuth

I have not used the pen tool before and today used it to draw a couple of lines, then went on to other things that I really don't want to have to do over.  I decided I didn't like the pen lines but by that time, they were too far back to be on the history (no, they were not on their own layer, stupidly).  Then I started layering some textures on top of the image, and no matter what I did, the pen marks are not covered up; they stay on top of the image -- and I can't clone over them, erase  them, nothing.   If I turn off all the layers, the pen lines are still there, on the transparent background!  Clearly I am missing something here.  What magic properties does this tool have that I am not understanding?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Pen tool mystery
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

If the pen lines are on a layer other then the background layer move that layer to the top of the stack.  However if there is more then the pen lines in the layer. Moving the layer to the top will cover other layers. Changing its blending mode may help there.

• 2. Re: Pen tool mystery
            Curt Y Level 7

It sounds like the pen lines are on the background.

• 3. Re: Pen tool mystery
              ewormuth Level 1

Thanks -- the pen lines seem not to be on a layer -- if I turn off all the layers including the background, the lines are still there.  But actually, they seem to have disappeared.  Just another one of those mysteries of Photoshop.

• 4. Re: Pen tool mystery
                Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

If i understand your question, you used the pen tool, but you see the paths no matter what you do in the layers panel, correct?

If you go to Window>Paths and click below the path in the paths panel to dimmiss the path, does the path disappear from the image?

What version of photoshop are you using?

Untitled-1.png