7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2013 4:21 AM by Terry_Green

CC & Dual GPU

Troy_w1 Level 1

My new build is running a GTX570oc , I can pickup a 660ti for $200 to add.

I know sli was unsupported a while back, but what's the workings of CC and its dual GPU support ?

Will it utilize both cards and unlike sli doesn't matter if they are a matching pair ?

The 660 has 2.5 times the cuda cores at a fraction slower bandwidth so I think ill get some good results.

Does dual GPU in CC require much setup/tinkering and does it just use both, or make a primary and secondary ?

Thanks

Troy

• 1. Re: CC & Dual GPU
          JEShort01 Level 4

Troy,

Dual GPU in CC is trivial to set up and requires no tinkering for the additional card. Of course, this assumes that you have enough power supply, PCIex16 slots, MPE hack, and cooling for the additional card(s). You do not need to SLI the cards to get the benefits in Premiere Pro. I did read on this forum that it works with mis-matched GPUs, but I've only seen that verified for cards using a common driver. As you probably know, the two cards that you mention do share a common driver from nVidia.

You need to ask yourself why are you doing this though? For most rigs, I would expect that with a single decent GTX video card already in place that the only speed gain would be for DVD renders. For most other work flows, other items in the PC would be the limiting resource (CPU power, drive speed, etc.). On the other hand, if you are constantly doing DVD exports for high-def media, then the increased number of cuda cores will make your world so much better.

See the following post regarding for my test results on a dual GTX Titan setup where adding a second video card doubled DVD exports, but left pretty much all others performance areas completely unchanged:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5588807

Regards,

Jim

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: CC & Dual GPU
            Troy_w1 Level 1

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the info.

PS is sufficient, made sure at 1050 i have enough to play with.

I do actually do a heap of DVD renders for clients so it would be a great benefit, I also assumed that it would have some benefits for after effects also when doing big projects and multiple effects.

Ive had projects lyterally stop a computer dead in the past, a single frame taking 20-30 seconds to load, i had hopes in this situation the extra gpu and cuda cores would assist.

My build is getting there with all other aspects you mentioned, i will be adding another wd black or two, possibly in raid, and another ssd  to keep drive speeds that will not bottleneck the rest.

• 3. Re: CC & Dual GPU
              Troy_w1 Level 1

just to close this one off i ended up getting the two 660's, there was a markable improvement in dvd render, but as stated that was really all that was notice. there was some improvement in scrubbing etc and i can quite easily scrub the timeline at full resolution with effects applied with no issues at all which is a big positive for me.

The only thing i have noticed is that during a Mpeg2-DVD render the cpu still hits %100 load, while the GPU's hit about %60 .. wish there was a way to push the gpu a bit more and squeeze more outta it ,

• 4. Re: CC & Dual GPU
                JEShort01 Level 4

Troy,

As spoken many time in this HW forum, a good build is a balanced build. I have done DVD exports that completely max'd out two GTX Titans, which combined have over 5,000 CUDA cores. The rest of the system though included fast, dual 8-core (e5-2687w) Xeon cpus and a fast RAID array. Your system can only be as fast as its weakest link. Note too that different uses of Premiere Pro (timeline work, renders, etc.) tax varioius components in different ways.

Jim

• 5. Re: CC & Dual GPU
                  Troy_w1 Level 1

Hey Jim,

Yes I know this well, I guess I typed a bit before I thought about it, was late and I did have a 12 yr old scotch in my hand hehe

Being that I only had timecode to the footage it makes sense that it was more CPU intensive, had I dropped a lot of colour grading and effects onto the timeline I'm sure it would have pushed the gpu's much more.

Troy

• 6. Re: CC & Dual GPU
                    Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

You defititely can have mismatched GPU's if both work off the same driver.  I have proven this with the PPBM6 MPEG2-DVD benchmark.