7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 7:15 AM by Willi Adelberger

How are multi documents linked in EPUBs?

eliverrang Level 1

Exporting my Indesign eBook project as an EPUB never seems to come out the way I am viewing it in InDesign.

To solve this problem, I unzipped the EPUB and edited the HTML and CSS files with BBEdit. I now have it looking as I want it.

However, I would now like to add new chapters (documents) to this unzipped and modified EPUB folder.

How can I arrange for these new chapters to be included in the book and also be included in an index and a TOC? i.e., What documents should I add to and what do I add?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to open up this modified EPUB in InDesign. Is this possible?

• 1. Re: How are multi documents linked in EPUBs?
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Exporting my Indesign eBook project as an EPUB never seems to come out the way I am viewing it in InDesign.

Not all that surprising, really.

To solve this problem, I unzipped the EPUB and edited the HTML and CSS files with BBEdit. I now have it looking as I want it.

That's pretty much what has to be done to almost any epub.

However, I would now like to add new chapters (documents) to this unzipped and modified EPUB folder.

How can I arrange for these new chapters to be included in the book and also be included in an index and a TOC? i.e., What documents should I add to and what do I add?

You will be better off exporting a new epub and using the CSS you created earlier.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to open up this modified EPUB in InDesign. Is this possible?

InDesign cannot open epubs.

• 2. Re: How are multi documents linked in EPUBs?
            eliverrang Level 1

Thanks Bob for your speedy reply.

If I understand you correctly, it would seem the best way to do this is to create my ebook in InDesign with dummy chapter docs (according to the number of chapter I require). Then export as an EPUB, unzip, then add the content and CSS with my HTML editor (BBEdit or Dreamweaver).

In this way InDesign will do all the necessary linking?

• 3. Re: How are multi documents linked in EPUBs?
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's not clear why you'd want to add chapter content using an HTML editor, rather than in InDesign (which would be much faster).

• 4. Re: How are multi documents linked in EPUBs?
                eliverrang Level 1

Hi Steve,

After many attempts to get the appearance I require for my EPUB (an image adjacent to every paragraph), I ended up using a table (grid).

When you see this in HTML, every paragraph is surrouned by tr and td tags, which have class attributes.

The easiest way for me to write this eBook is to write all the text with a simple text editor (I use TextEdit). I have  created an applet in Applescript that adds the appropriate HTML tags to all the lines. I then just paste these lines into the body of the EPUB HTML docs.

In short, once I have created the template, virtually all the work is done in the text editor.

• 5. Re: How are multi documents linked in EPUBs?
                  Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For your specialized purpose, that makes sense.

• 6. Re: How are multi documents linked in EPUBs?
                    AnneMarie Concepcion Adobe Community Professional

Why couldn't you have created tables in InDesign and exported that to EPUB?

CS6 and CC do excellent jobs of exporting to EPUB, often without having to crack open the file and edit the HTML/CSS. Or at least far less work than in the past.

But like Steve says, if you hit on a solution for your workflow, keep it up! ;D

The answer to your original question ... how are multiple docs (I assume you mean HTML files) linked in the EPUB; it's governed by the spine section in the OPF file. InDesign writes up the OPF file for you, but you could write it yourself in any text editor if you wanted.

More info here:

http://blog.epubandebookhelp.com/2011/12/29/epub-author-question-what-are-the-parts-of-an- epub-file/

AM

InDesignSecrets.com

• 7. Re: How are multi documents linked in EPUBs?
                      Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

eliverrang wrote:

…, I unzipped the EPUB and edited the HTML and CSS files with BBEdit. I now have it looking as I want it.

With BBedit you need not to unzipp the files. You can drag and drop the EPUB file directly upon BBEdit's Icon. The whole EPUB opens as complete system where you can make any changes and save it. I used it to perform small repairs in the EPUB, but now I do everything in InDesign.