9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2013 4:32 PM by [Jongware]

How do I delete the multiple blue line boxes that are on my page layout?

Arctic Art

How do I delete the multiple blue line boxes that are on my page layout (Text or graphic)?

• 1. Re: How do I delete the multiple blue line boxes that are on my page layout?
          Salah Fadlabi Level 5

Are you mean Frame Edge, if so View menu>Extras>Hide Frame Edge

• 2. Re: How do I delete the multiple blue line boxes that are on my page layout?
            Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Switch to the Selection Tool (press V or escape) and click on each object and hit delete.

If one is behind something that you want to keep, hold the Cmd/Ctrl-key and click as many times as is necessary to select the right object.

Then hit delete.

Of course, this is assuming you want to get rid of those objects, If you just want to hide the blue lines, change the view. Or press W without an insertion point in a text frame.

• 3. Re: How do I delete the multiple blue line boxes that are on my page layout?
              Arctic Art Level 1

Thank you. I own, as of yesterday, your great book, “visual Quick Start Guide”. Very helpful for a beginner. I graduated from RPI, Virginia commonwealth University, in 1962 with a BFA in commercial art. Wow, has that all changed. The only computer we knew about was the UNAVC military system that took up and entire building to do what my lap top does today. Now we have graphic design. I remember sending our “copy” to a typesetting house where it came back backed with bees wax for glue. Enough. I created a book, called, “The Artwork of Paul Steucke” for a Landscape format book, using MS Word converted to PDF. After a year of work the printer informed me that they could not take it in the format, so here I am doing it all over again using Blurb’s Plug In for the adobe CS6. The learning curve for a 74 year old is a bit overwhelming. Your note was helpful. I looked up Selection tool in the index of your book, but could not find it in the program commands. Where is it? Thanks for putting up with a beginner. All I need is a few simple commands and I can, I hope, insert my text and graphics. Regards, Paul Steucke, steuckeart@comcast.net

• 4. Re: How do I delete the multiple blue line boxes that are on my page layout?
                Arctic Art Level 1

Dear Salah: Thank you for your response. I went to View/extras/hide frame which got rid of the lines, but now I have several # in blue that are stuck on the page, where the boxes use to be. Any suggestions on how to clear the entire page of this stuff so I can insert one type frame box and put my text in ?  Regards, Paul Steucke, steuckeart@comcast.net . (I am a beginner, 74 years old, graduated in 1962 with a Commercial Art degree. Trying to put together a landscape book using Blurb’s Plug In to CS6.) Thanks for the help.

• 5. Re: How do I delete the multiple blue line boxes that are on my page layout?
                  BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

CMDA (ctrla on Windows) and then delete. That will delete everything

on the spread.

BTW, the # is an end of story character that would display if you have

view hidden characters enabled.

• 7. Re: How do I delete the multiple blue line boxes that are on my page layout?
                    Ellis home Level 4

If you see the # in blue it means you still have a text frame active. Click the selection tool (the black arrow), click on the document and you'll see the text frame in blue. Now hit delete and it will get rid of it. Now you can start fresh.

Edit: Oh I see Bob Levine already suggested that but using the shortcut for the selection tool.

• 8. Re: How do I delete the multiple blue line boxes that are on my page layout?
                      Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

All the commands for the tools are in little tool tips that pop up if you hover over the tool in the Tools panel.

For the Selection tool (black arrow) the shortcuts are V and Escape. V is used if you are not in a text frame. Escape (which is the Escape Key located at the top left of your keyboard) is if you are in a text frame.

BTW, your attitude in asking for help is very nice and makes me (and others) want to help you more.

• 9. Re: How do I delete the multiple blue line boxes that are on my page layout?
                        [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Arctic Art,

All those blue lines & markers are just helpers. They are *blue* because they take their color from the *layer* color they reside in -- very helpful if you start working with more than one layer. And they are "helpers" in the sense that they show only on screen (when their respective Show/Hide options in the View menu are set to "Show"). In particular, they will not appear in any output. (*)

InDesign offers two main 'working' modes, one in which you can see all those helpful items (if they are on ;) ) and a Preview mode, which is as close to actual output as it can get. Pressing the "W" key toggles between those, but you have to take care the text cursor is not active inside a text frame, otherwise you will insert a 'w'. (You'll soon learn not to do that -- I had to explain "why are there stray w's in my text" a couple of times to clients...)

For anything involving lots of graphics, you are best off leaving the Frame Edges on. That way you can see which item is placed where. For anything involving text editing, leave Invisible Characters on. That way you can "see" every single space, tab, hard return, and lots of otherwise not visible items.

(*) Well ... Unless you choose to, in the PDF Export options. But usually you don't want this.