9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2013 11:57 PM by cyrax037

Premiere Elements 11, Automatically finding source files for a project?

cyrax037

Hi,  I recently had a video project, and after I was done I put all my source files into archive on my external HD .  Now I need to go back into the project and do some changes, but obviously since the files have all moved, it wants me to locate each file manuraly. There are a lot of them, and this is very tedious (Its also locking up and crashing trying to do this, idk why.)    I also edit off this drive too, so some of the files might be in the same location

Is there anyway to tell Elements what folder to look for all the files in and have it locate all the files itself atomatically?

I run Win 7 64bit Home,  4gb of ram, dual core i5 processer

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11, Automatically finding source files for a project?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

First, let's take a look at the message, "Where is file ___ ?" See this article for both more background, and for some tips on letting PrE "find" your Assets: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4598705#4598705

Then, when that has been handled, let us know all about your computer, the version of PrE used, and your Project settings, and Assets used, to address the hanging.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11, Automatically finding source files for a project?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

cyrax037

In addition to Hunt's remarks about your situation....

As you found out, you cannot move or delete the source media that went into the project after you save/close the project. When you do, you run into nasty media reconnect issues that are best resolved, if possible, with those "Where is...?" if you know where the missing file is that is cited in the message.

If you have a lot of editing invested in this project with the missing media, look into the Replace Footage feature to assist in this type of issue.

Please refer to my blog post on Replace Footage.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-replace-footage.html

On the other hand, if you did not get hit with this issue because you actually moved or deleted files after the project's save/close, then address the possibility of an external hard drive problem if that is where the media were stored. Spontaneous drive letter change?

At this point with this immediate need, the should have and could have do not fix the immediate. But, they might for next time.

Look at the Premiere Elements File Menu/Project Archiver Archive and Copy options as lifesavers. These features allow you to store media used in project with the project.prel file. Please see the Adobe Tech document on Project Archiver.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7d cb.html

Please do not hesitate to ask if you need clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11, Automatically finding source files for a project?
              cyrax037 Level 1

Thanks.  I think the link Bill gave that talks about the "Where is ____"  Acturally helped.   I do know where all the files are,  cuz I just bounced all my raw files into my archive folder on my external.  I just found it tedious to have to search for all of the files manurally, but according to the article, I really just have to find 1 file in each folder and it will automatically find the rest in that folder for me, so it shouldn't be as tedious as I thought it would be.

As for as my hangup issue, and my specs what info do you need other then what I mentioned in my original post?  (Seriusly,  I'm not tryin to be a jerk about it or anything,  I'm just not sure and am asking so I can look it up! ^_^ )

My project settings are NTSC DV Sd 720x480.

Its possible I suppose that it was hanging up cuz It was looking for the files in the folder and I didn't realize was it was doing.

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11, Automatically finding source files for a project?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Depending on the folder structure, where your Assests are stored, PrE will ask you to locate the first Asset in a particular folder, and once done, will survey that folder, re-linking all other used Assets in it.

For using external HDD's, this article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/5567553#5567553

Good luck, and I will look over the hanging data.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11, Automatically finding source files for a project?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

For the additional info, I would list your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their size, speed, controller type, and how you have them allocated.

Is your Windows fully updated, and not just the the "critical updates?"

Might as well get the make and model of your video card, plus the installed video driver version.

Then, the details of the Assets being used in that NTSC DV Projct.

Also, with Win7-64, that 4GB of RAM is just about what Windows 64-bit needs to run smoothly, with not that much left over for other programs. On a 64-bit OS, I would look at doubling that, if possible - 12 - 16GB would be even better. Not knowing your MoBo, I cannot give you a single amount of RAM, but I would bump that up from 4GB, if possible.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11, Automatically finding source files for a project?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

cyrax037

Thanks for the follow up.

One of the major thoughts when a project will not open or has other problems is a damaged project because the source media was moved or deleted after the save close. And there are several articles that you can check out on dealing with damaged projects for that reason or others.

http://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-element s.html

The bottom line questions are:

a. do you have your project set up correctly for your source media?

b. are you able to open new projects??

c. did reconnecting the media to this particular project allow you to continue editing exporting satisfactorily?

All of the above are important considerations. If the problems persist in spite of, then needed information would include as indicated

a. properties of your source media (video and audio compression, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, if interlaced, upper or lower field first, file extension, duration....if DV AVI whether type 1 or 2...

b. project preset settings (you say NTSC DV Standard 720 x 480)

c. what is your intended export

d. computer optimization...scratch disks set up and so on...as well as the status of that external hard drive that you are using for storage....did you say if that was formatted NTFS or FAT32?

Thanks for the opportunity to try to help.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11, Automatically finding source files for a project?
                      cyrax037 Level 1

Also, with Win7-64, that 4GB of RAM is just about what Windows 64-bit needs to run smoothly, with not that much left over for other programs. On a 64-bit OS, I would look at doubling that, if possible - 12 - 16GB would be even better. Not knowing your MoBo, I cannot give you a single amount of RAM, but I would bump that up from 4GB, if possible.

Well, I'm running on a laptop.   My max ram I can use is 8gb.  I am looking to upgrade at somepoint , but those 2 4gb sticks are out of my budget right now. (I'm liturally broke, LOL)

My external is acturally a WD Scorpio Black7200 RPM SATA 2.5-inch, 7200 RPM, 16MB cache,  that I put in a case with E-Sata connection to the laptop. 

Normally I don't have much issue editing, especially SD footage. (I also make lyric videos to use at church, which is mostly graphics and/or motion loop background and don't have issues editing them, even with just 4gb of ram)

I normally turn up turbo boost, which shuts down most background programs and frees up my ram.  But I did not turn that on before trying to open the project this time.

computer optimization...scratch disks set up and so on...as well as the status of that external hard drive that you are using for storage....did you say if that was formatted NTFS or FAT32

I did set my scratch disks to the external.  As for as NTFS or FAT32,   I really have no idea.

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11, Automatically finding source files for a project?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

cyrax037

Thanks.

The first quote in your reply was quoted from Hunt. I have Windows 7 and 8 64 bit, each with 8 GB RAM (two 4 GB modules) installed, and that does great for my SD, DVD, and Blu-ray projects (the motherboard has 2 slots, so it cannot accept more unless I find some 8 GB RAM modules. I have not looked since I do not need more RAM. I am doing fine as is, and you should do OK with your SD work at 4 GB RAM installed.

But SD does not alway mean DV.avi, so the format of the imports and added effects, transitions, and titles (general Timeline content makeup) needs to be factored into the troubleshooting equation when indicated.

When Premiere Elements starts performing strangely, one of the first things that I do is look pile ups of preview files, conformed audio, and conformed videos. See Adobe Folder, default in Documents, and Edit Menu/Preferences/Media.

You can also check Disk Management to see the drive makeup if and when indicated Right click "Computer", select Manage, the go to Storage/Disc Management. Typical Windows recommendation = NTFS formatting for the external hard drive, not FAT32.

Please let us know if the problem that you presented is taken care of at this point and if you are now moving forward with your projects.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11, Automatically finding source files for a project?
                          cyrax037 Level 1

Thanks.  Yeah, useraly I'm working with DV avi cuz thats what my current cam imports in (miniDV)   Unless I'm doing a lyric video or something where  its mostly graphics in the form of psd files.

This paticuraler project had a lot of those graphics inbetween short clusters of video clips,  some dv avi some from .vob files from DVDs.  

I forgot to mention in my last one,  when I'm making lyric videos  its almost always HD.  But like I said,  I'm mostly dealing with pictures in the form of psd files  so the load isn't as much as it is with HD video clips.

Unfortunatly, when I looked it up,  my laptops motherboard can only go up to 8gb of ram and wont recognise any more.

I think that might solve the issue.  Truth be told,  while discussing this, I was able to fix the changes on the final render by pulling the final file back into the timeline, and rerendering it at the same output settings without quality loss.   But I will probably try to re open the project tommorw and see if it works and let you guys know!