7 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2016 1:36 PM by Jim_Simon

Sharing premiere file between Mac & Pc?

lou4uandme Level 1

Hello all,

If I am working on a Mac using premiere CC, and send my project file to someone who is using a pc, can that person open/work on my project file?

I've done this between 2 pc computers and it worked fine. I just needed to make sure that both pcs had the same drive & folder naming structure.

I just don't know if this can be done with a Mac WITHOUT having to Relink the entire project.

Thanks,

• 1. Re: Sharing premiere file between Mac & Pc?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Try it.  Then you'll know.

• 2. Re: Sharing premiere file between Mac & Pc?
            lou4uandme Level 1

It's always a great feeling to get answers like that. (I don't know why I didn't think of that)

Ok, I guess i have to elaborate a little more...

I only have pcs in the household and I now need to buy a MAC.

Can Adobe PremiereCC allow Mac & PC users to share project files without issues?

• 3. Re: Sharing premiere file between Mac & Pc?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

That's pretty much the same question, so I can only offer the same answer.

Try it, then you'll know.

• 4. Re: Sharing premiere file between Mac & Pc?
                Andrew_S Level 3

I have opened Premiere Pro CS6.0.3 on both windows7 and Mac as a test, in the not too distant past. In other words it was only a small test project (to see if it worked) and it opened OK. However I would expect it to re-conform the audio upon changing form Win to Mac and vice versa. ( I cant remember if it did.)

Update

I forgot to add that since Mac and Windows label hard drives differently, when you open a project in Mac which was originally created in windows (or vice-versa) the project will not know where the video files are. If you have all your files in a single folder, then its a simple matter to re-link the media to the project. But if the media is spread over different folders, then it may take a while to re-link everything. And you may have to do that every time you swap between operating systems.

• 5. Re: Sharing premiere file between Mac & Pc?
                  ceads Level 1

Obviously Jim has no Idea. Jim is correct in his smart *** answer. What Jim Does not understand is that being a smart *** really sucks for the rest of the people who are just asking if anyone has done this before. I also think that the only dumb questions are the ones NOT asked. Jim has shown us, that there are dumb answers. Thanks Jim your a real pal.

• 6. Re: Sharing premiere file between Mac & Pc?
                    R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So many of the questions asked here are things that are actually easily found either through searching these forums or a quick online search. I've answered many questions myself, where I simply created a simplified form of the question, put it into the search box on my browser, and had numerous answers pop up immediately. Many of the people (including Jim) that do provide an enormous amount of useful help to other users get a bit ... irritated? ... annoyed? ... at the request to answer something that the OP could more quickly have answered through a short search of their own.

Such things as using PrPro across platforms have been discussed here and elsewhere online ad infinitum. Most of the time, the people like moi and Jim and the other users that come 'here' without pay simply to help give answers whether or not the OP has done any due diligence of their own to learn these complex and complicated programs.

And there are times that someone doth hint that ... a certain question could have been easily answered by 1) a quick search or 2) simply trying something. You might not believe how many queries are about "What happens if I put X media on a sequence of Y media?"

At that point, they'd have known immediately by simply trying ... and really, much faster.

For some very serious queries you may run into, Jim will be your "pal".

Neil

• 7. Re: Sharing premiere file between Mac & Pc?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

I also think that the only dumb questions are the ones NOT asked.

Asking questions is great.  Doing your homework and trying to find the answer before you post here is even better.