13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 4:41 PM by Koscieliska

Audio problems

Koscieliska Level 1

In some cases when I drag MPEG movie clip (1920x1980) into Adobe Premiere Elements 11 the sound either disappears or grossly deteriorates. In monitor the same clip plays audio without any problems. What is the cure please.

• 1. Re: Audio problems
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Koscieliska

Is your Premiere Elements 11 on Windows or Mac and which edition of the operating system?

What are the properties of your source media...video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, file extension, duration.... and consequently, what are you or the project setting as the project preset. See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

I am not clear on the distinction that you are making when you write

In some cases when I drag MPEG movie clip (1920x1980) into Adobe Premiere Elements 11 the sound either disappears or grossly deteriorates. In monitor the same clip plays audio without any problems

Are you referring to the computer monitor and a computer program playback when you write that the same clip plays audio with any problems?

When you drag your clip to the Expert workspace Timeline, is there an orange line over the content, and, if so, do you render the Timeline so that you are watching and listening to the rendered Timeline in the Edit Mode Monitor playback within the program?

Let us start here and then we can decide what next.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Audio problems
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you tell us the full details of the Audio in that MPEG?

If necessary, G-Spot, or MediaInfo (for the PC), or Media Inspector (for the Mac), can give you the full details.

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Audio problems
              Koscieliska Level 1

Operating System is Windows 7. Yes, audio is MPEG. All details:

Video: AVCHD (.m2ts). 1920x1080, 25 frames/sec

Audio: Type - MPEG Movie, Source audio format - 48000Hz-compressed-6 channels, ProjecAudio Format - 48000Hz, 32 bit floating point - 6 channels.

• 4. Re: Audio problems
                Koscieliska Level 1

Premiere Elements is on Windows 7.

Type: MPEG Movie

File size: 41.3 Mb (as an example)

Image size 1920x1080

Frame rate 25.00

Source Audio Format 48000Hz - compressed - 6 channels

Project Audio Format: 48000Hz - 32 bits floating point - 6 channels

Total duration (of this particular clip as an example) 00:00:21:08

Average data rate 2.0Mb/sec

Pixel aspect ratio 1.0

Please note that there are about 50 clips in my projects. All are recorded in the same way and have the same parameters. Yet, audio deteriorates/disappears only in some of them.

I am referring to monitor within Adobe Premiere Elements 11 (not a computer monitor).

Yes, when I drag clips to timeline there is orange line and wavely black line indicating audio in clips where it did not disappeared. In clips where the sound deteriorated/disappeared the there is just flat orange line. When I increase sound by putting audio gain to - say 20 - the sound is still there but in the same time there is of course a lot of noise.

Yes, I did render timeline.

• 5. Re: Audio problems
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Koscieliska

Let us start by assuring that you or the program has set the appropriate project setting for this video.

Do you have interlaced or progressive video?

If 1920 x 1080 @ 25 interlaced frames per second, then your project preset should be

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD1080i25 5.1 channel

If 1920 x 1080 @ 25 progressive frames per second, then your project preset should be

PAL

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p25

What do you have and what did you or the program set? If you do not know, please check Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Rate.

How do you intend to export your Timeline content?

Also, please confirm your audio compression  "MPEG" with 5.1 channel as contrasted with AAC or Dolby Digital.

Where is the video with audio coming from and how are you importing it into the Premiere Elements project?

More later.

ATR

• 6. Re: Audio problems
                    Koscieliska Level 1

Further information on Project settings:

Editing Mode HD 1080i

Timebase 25.00 frames/second

Frame rate - no such information under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General

Capture format HDV

Project Settings:

PAL

AVCHD

Full HD1080i25 5.1 channel

I import video (with audio) as AVCHD files from my Sony Video camera to PMB software in my computer. PMB automatically creates a folder on my desktop. Subsequently I copy (and rename) all files from the desktop to another folder where I keep all my videos. In a project I import files from this folder via 'Add Media' to a timeline.

I confirm that the Source Audio Format is 48000Hz - compressed 6 channels; Project Audio Format is 48000Hz - 32 bit floating point - 6 channels (information from  an example clip obtained under 'Show Properties').

• 7. Re: Audio problems
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Koscieliska

Thanks for the follow up.

Editing Mode HD 1080i

Timebase 25.00 frames/second

Frame rate - no such information under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General

That "Frame rate" was a typo...should have been Frame Size. (But, from other information that you have presented, that should 1920 x 1080.

In zeroing in on the project settings, I would ask...you say that you get an orange line over the Timeline content when you first import the video into Premiere Elements. If you have the correct project preset, there should be no colored line over it when you first import it.

If you have AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression with 1920 x 1080 @ 25 frames per second and 5.1 channel audio, that PAL AVCHD Full HD1080i25 should be it. You cite "MPEG" video. Please confirm, is that with AVCHD video compression. Did you say what the audio compression is....AAC, Dolby Digital, or other.

The challenging part of troubleshooting this is that you say that you have the same source for 50 clips, but not all are affected by the audio deteroriation. So, I would ask in that regard....given one of those bad clips,

a. if you take that by itself into a new project does the clip sound present well or poorly

b. if you change the position of the clip on the Timeline, does the clip sound preent well or poorly

Are all the clips put through the PMB software? Can you bypass the PMB and transfer the video directly from camera to computer? When you import the clips, in any program conforming or indexing completed before you continue in the project?

More later.

ATR

• 8. Re: Audio problems
                        Koscieliska Level 1

Here is the response to your questions:

1. I am not sure if there is no misunderstanding between us about the 'orange line'. In fact the lines are not orange, but yellow and are always present in every clip and in every project  indicating the brightness of video and sound level of audio. It can be manipulated to adjust both.

2. Video files imported from the camera are in AVCHD format (but when a clip is clicked in the timeline in 'Properties' it says Type: MPEG movie.

3. I am not sure about your audio compression question. As I have said earlier in 'Properties' Source Audio Format is 48000Hz-compressed-6 channels and Project Audio Format is 48000Hz-32bit floating point-6 channels. I am not sure where to look for additional information.

4. Yes, if a clip with bad sound is inserted into a new project nothing changes with the audio quality.

5. Also nothing changes if I change clip position on the timeline.

So the problem still is a mystery but - on a brighter note - I managed to find a 'side solution' for each faulty clip:

- unlink video and audio

- import clip to Winx Video Converter Deluxe (free download software for 30 day test)

- convert it into a MP3 file

- delete the original audio from the timeline

-substitute it with the MP3 file

It works OK, but it does not solve the original problem.

• 9. Re: Audio problems
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Koscieliska

Thanks for the follow up. In response to

1. I am not sure if there is no misunderstanding between us about the 'orange line'. In fact the lines are not orange, but yellow and are always present in every clip and in every project  indicating the brightness of video and sound level of audio. It can be manipulated to adjust both.

Yes, I was looking wanted to assure that you were getting the best possible preview of the Timeline, achieved by rendering the timeline. For this purpose I was trying to use the render indicators of

no colored line over Timeline content

green line over Timeline content

orangle line over Timeline content

By orange line, I am not referring to Timeline content "rubberband" that runs through, not over, the content...as you said

video track rubberband for Opacity (can be set for other) and audio track rubberband for Volume (can be set for other).

When you first drag you video to the Timeline, which one of those render indicators do you observe. I ask this question since

a. if you have the correct project preset, you start with no colored line over the Timeline content

b. if you see the no colored line over the Timeline content, then it is not possible to render since you have the best possible preview

Yet you say that you render the Timeline content. Is that after the no color line status and you edit or other?

2. Video files imported from the camera are in AVCHD format (but when a clip is clicked in the timeline in 'Properties' it says Type: MPEG movie.

3. I am not sure about your audio compression question. As I have said earlier in 'Properties' Source Audio Format is 48000Hz-compressed-6 channels and Project Audio Format is 48000Hz-32bit floating point-6 channels. I am not sure where to look for additional information.

The pending answer is whether this AVCHD is interlaced or progressive video. What do your camera settings indicate, 1080i or 1080p?

I managed to find a 'side solution' for each faulty clip:

- unlink video and audio

- import clip to Winx Video Converter Deluxe (free download software for 30 day test)

- convert it into a MP3 file

- delete the original audio from the timeline

-substitute it with the MP3 file

That was great work identifying that workaround. But as you say the question remains why some of your clips were are all supposed to be the same are presenting with this audio issue. Because all are not similarly affected, I would make sure that the project is set up correctly and that you take a closer look at variables in the transfer of videos from camera to computer to Premiere Elements. If it is only a few that are affected, then you may be forced into your workaround.

You might even look at the use of the free Audacity for your audio conversion to .wav or .mp3.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Please consider the above and then we can discuss this further.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Audio problems
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

To show the different lines in the Timeline Panel, see this image:

Orange_Lines.png

The lines that ATR is referring to, are the ones ABOVE the Clip(s), and not the "rubberband" within the Clip.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Audio problems
                              Koscieliska Level 1

1.       Before rendering no clips have any lines except for yellow lines indicating levels of brightness/audio. After rendering green line appears above the clips.

2.       AVCHD is interlaced (1080i).

Thanks for directing me to Audacity software.

• 12. Re: Audio problems
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Koscieliska

Thanks for the follow up.

Audacity should do the job of the workaround audio conversion that you identified as working for you to resolve this inconsistent issue.

We will be watching for further developments.

More later.

ATR

• 13. Re: Audio problems
                                  Koscieliska Level 1

Thank you.