CC got a little screwed up when it comes to sorting, I suspect because of the much requested new Icon sorting feature. Now, only some very basic default columns will sort properly. Please let Adobe know that's not OK, that this needs to be corrected even if Icon sorting has to be disabled to do it.
I'll submit the request, I'm not a programmer but this really doesn't seem
like a hard function to build in.
Sorting worked perfectly fine up until CC. You could sort by any column you wanted. An Adobe employee has said that sorting in List view has been disabled for the vast majority of parameters because of performance issues. The new Icon Sort feature has the option to sort according to the List View. My suspicion is that's the area where performance was an issue. Rather than not add the new feature until it worked, they added it and just broke what had always worked before.
That's my theory anyway.
Ah, fair enough, I forgot that you could sort icons according to the list
view sort. But no one has any clever workaround to separate master clips
from sublips? Some metadata value I can search for or anything?
Will they sort on the name? (I thought subclip was appended to the name)
Only if you don't name any subclips with custom names. Also if you import a
file that was broken into subclips in Prelude there is no "subclip"
appended to the name.
any clever workaround to separate master clips from subclips?
Put 'em in different bins.
The problem is that if I import files into Premiere that had been logged in
Prelude, the subclips are generated automatically with no choice to
separate them in a different bins.
Are you the one using Prelude?
OK. I'd recommend skipping that. Prelude is a great tool for when you have an Assistant Editor, something for him to do while you do your main work in PP. But there's nothing Prelude can do that PP can't, so as it's just you, do all the work right in PP.
I really enjoy the way Prelude does subclips and its other metadata marking
tools are very useful to me. I tag footage for searching in Premiere and
speech transcription is also easier to do manually in Prelude than Premiere.
Well, then you may have a choice to make. Use Prelude, but extra work in PP. Or do it all in PP.
I'll figure out what works best with my workflow, thank you for your
recommendations. We seem to have gone a bit off topic but a good discussion
nonetheless, if I find a good way to sort subclips I'll tell you, for now I
suppose I'll just put "subclip" in their names or something like that.
Colton Media Productions <http://www.coltonmediaproductions.com/>
Facebook <http://facebook.com/coltonmediaproductions> |
1 person found this helpful
Sorry to revive this ancient topic, but it showed up at the top of my search for this question, for which I have found a workaround. If this has actually been resolved by Adobe then I haven't figured out how....
To workaround simply add a metadata column in the Project Pane (list view). One of the metadata fields is "Subclip Duration" . Once this is is enabled you can then sort the "subclip duration" column, as master clips return an empty field and are therefore bunched together.
I have no doubt that Chris worked this out long ago....