2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2013 9:49 AM by Joel Cherney

IDML file problems - text disappears & unselectable when found

mel_mcm69

Hi,

My first question here.

I use Adobe CS5.5 and I need to export .indd files into the .idml format so they are readable by my translation software.

I exported my file to idml, but when I open this file, I get a "unable to set bounding box message", and all the text has disappeared from the text boxes. When I toggle the text box (make it bigger), I find the text, but I am unable to select it. Saving the idml file as indd doesn't make any difference.

My translation software actually reads the idml and my translated text is there when I re-export it, but still not visible on normal view, and still not selectable (so I can't cut and paste it back into my original indd file).

I have tried various "unlock" suggestions found on other forums, but nothing is working. I have installed all the CS5.5 updates... I am wondering if there is a problem with my original file.

Any help most appreciated, I've been grappling with this all morning.

Melissa

Message was edited by: mel_mcm69 PS I'm on a Mac Version 10.6.8

• 1. Re: IDML file problems - text disappears & unselectable when found
          mel_mcm69 Level 1

Ok, this problem is half-solved, and there's a few leads.

It turns out the text is selectable, it just doesn't show it has been selected (no blocking shows), and this was also also the case I realise with the original .indd file. This resolves the situation for my practical purposes, as I can copy and paste my (translated) text from the idml file back into the original .indd file.

Still don't know why the text disappeared from the boxes in the first place, or the relationship to the "bounding box", but it seems likely the whole thing is derived from issues with the original file.

Thanks to those who had a look anyway! Hope there's something here that can help someone else.

• 2. Re: IDML file problems - text disappears & unselectable when found
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What TM tool are you using? To be honest, this error sounds like something that the developer would want to know about.

Still don't know why the text disappeared from the boxes in the first place, or the relationship to the "bounding box", but it seems likely the whole thing is derived from issues with the original file.

I last saw this "bounding box" error with someone using TagEditor who had turned tag protection all the way off. So that was quite some time ago, when IDML support in Trados was quite new.