12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 6, 2013 5:17 AM by Steve Grisetti

Premiere El.  11 crashes

gappyx

I am running into the same issue with Premiere El. 11 as I did with imovie.  Every time I am editing a video the program crashes.  Always near the end of the session for maximum frustration.  Can I please get a little help?

• 1. Re: Premiere El.  11 crashes
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Obviously, if iMovie is giving you the same problems, the issues are not with the program but with either your system or your video source.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it?

What operating system are you using?

What processor are you running and with how much RAM? How much free space is on your hard drive? Are you editing to this hard drive or to another hard drive on your system?

• 2. Re: Premiere El.  11 crashes
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Lots of missing information

Since you mention imovie, does that mean you are using a Mac?

Is this a program crash, or an entire computer crash?

Do you have a laptop or a desktop?

• 3. Re: Premiere El.  11 crashes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with both Steve G and John T Smith. To be of much use, we need as much info, as you can provide.

This article will help you gather most of it, and when, and if, we get to Mac-specific questions, Steve G is the guru, as he runs PrE on both a PC and a Mac: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3220274#3220274

Good luck, and please let us know a lot more about your system, your Project and the Source Files that you are using in that Project - the solution will likely be in your answers.

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere El.  11 crashes
                gappyx Level 1

Sorry.  Imac OSX 10.6.8, 16gb 1067 mhz ddr3 desktop.  The program will freeze for a second and I know I am doomed when I see the color wheel.  The program then disappears.  I will get a window that tells me taht the program has suddenly quit and ask if I want to restart.  The restart never works, so I reopen the program from the doc. It does this on PS as well but not as often.  The programs that are most frustraiting are Premiere 11 and iMovie.

• 5. Re: Premiere El.  11 crashes
                  gappyx Level 1

Sony HD AVCHD Progressive.  I have used the Sony format and MP4.  The processer is intel, memory is 16 gb ddr3.  Hard drive is 2T with about 40% usage.  I import from the camera into the program, do not use external until I get ready to save the work, but it rarely gets to "Save".

• 6. Re: Premiere El.  11 crashes

Are the files being loaded into Premiere Elements as M2T files or MOVs?

Also, under the Edit menu in Premiere Elements, does it show 1920x1080 progressive scan?

And when you load these files to your timeline in Expert view, do you see yellow lines above the clips?

• 7. Re: Premiere El.  11 crashes
                      gappyx Level 1

Not sure about m2t, avchd 1280x720. they are shot as mp4 and imported directly from the file or camera.  yes, yellow. 

• 8. Re: Premiere El.  11 crashes

So these files have an .mp4 suffix, right?

Please look under the Edit menu in Premiere Elements and see if the project settings are set up for 1280x720 progressive scan interlacing.

Also, please confirm if you used Premiere Elements to get the video from your camcorder to your computer.

Also, is your camcorder set to shoot in 30p, 60i or 24p?

Details are important, gappyx, so please try to answer my questions thoroughly.

• 9. Re: Premiere El.  11 crashes
                          gappyx Level 1

I'll provide all I can but some things I will need to know how to find.  Mp4HD 60i as best as I can find.  The camera has few manual settings so some things I have to dig from the charts as best I can.  I did use Premiere El. 11 to import the video the first time but it seems to be unable to find it now.  I drag the file onto the desk top and import it from there.  I restarted my computer and before I started any other programs I was able to edit a 4 min. video without crash.  I can talk all day about photography but this is my first effort with video so I haven't really gotten a grasp yet.  I was able to do everything I wanted to do except reduce background noise and add a water mark.  Hopefully this will help you help me.

• 10. Re: Premiere El.  11 crashes

Are you not able to find the project settings listed under the program's Edit menu?

• 11. Re: Premiere El.  11 crashes
                              gappyx Level 1

under general 1280x720

In capture HDV

Nothing in Render

All other is blank or not readable

• 12. Re: Premiere El.  11 crashes

I'm not sure what you're saying, gappyx.

I need details about your video, the model of camcorder your video is coming from and your project settings in order to help you.