1 2 Previous Next 40 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2013 10:04 AM by Kevin-Monahan

a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

Federico-BlueFrameVisuals Level 1

Hello,

I'm doing the switch. FCP has been my platform for 13 years and (yes, sadly) I decided to leave it. I'm working for TV and channels like National Geographic, so I need power and modern software.

I then have a few questions... and many suggestions. I'll get these written down and post them on the requested features page but first, a few Q that have been bothering me since my start...

1 - /keyboard shortcuts

I'm glad I could choose for the FCP7 shortcut mode. Good point Adobe! Nevertheless,:

-> how can I add a "double-key" shortcut, as "rr" or even, a triple-key one?

-> Shortcuts seems not to be active-window aware. Is there a way to do so? I don't mean totally different  shortcuts but for instance the "zoom to sequence" in the TL and the "zoom to source monitor"/"zoom to program monitor" could have the same shortcut, acting appropriately in the respective window... Is that possible?

-> About the "M" for add marker, if in Premiere Pro (default) shortcut mode, it does a good job as in FCP, adding a marker to the Sequence or to the Clip, depending on if a clip is selected or not. Great, but if I set the shortcuts in the FCP7 mode, and add manually the "M" shortcut for "add marker", it doesn't see the difference. Same goes for the "edit marker" that works well in the default mode when on a marker, but not if the FCP mode is chosen... Can someone help on that?

2 - /Audio

-> Volume KFs can't be copied-pasted to another track. Neither via "Paste Attributes" nor via KF copy/Paste. Hey guys, FCP did that already 6 years ago... I hope I don't have to tell about the absolute need to be able to do so (when you've worked out your music under a VO and more and that your EP asks you to use another cue... for instance...). Please can someone tell me how to, or Adobe: make this a priority for the next update.

-> the making/editing/moving of volume KF is pretty sluggish... It's not always, but quite often, my audio track blinks crazily when I do that, next to the fact that my cursor is very "sticky" after moving the kf, changing therefore their position as I'm moving away from where I left them.

3 - /Reveal clip in Project

-> An of course unmissable feature! But I seem to be able to do it only from the TL, and not form the Source monitor... Really unhandy if this is the case. Can someone tell me more if I mistake?

I've plenty of other Q but I don't want to bother you guys too much in one go. And I must say, I feel a bit strange to have to get back to Forums for simple things after 13 years professional editing for TV but ok... That's how it is.

In any case, thanks a lot to who can give me a few tips about these issues.

@ Adobe: You are on the right path to get most of the fcp editors.. Please keep on listenning and implementing; it shows your good will ! There's still many improvments that can be done. THANKS!

System:

Premiere CC, Mac Pro, 12 cores, 2010, 20Gb RAM, 1GB GFX card.

• 1. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The tutorial list in message #3 http://forums.adobe.com/message/2276578 may help, with more help in message #5

• 2. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
            Jim_Simon Level 8

1. I have seen some odd behavior when selecting the Avid shortcuts.  I wonder if that applies to the FCP shortcuts as well.  My recommendation, since you will be using Premiere Pro going forward, is to abandon FCP altogether and just learn the default PP shortcuts.

2. This currently can't be done.  You'll need to file a feature request.

3. Same for this.

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

• 3. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

Thx for the answer....

A bit disappointed that 2 and 3 can't be...

I'll fill the form.

Till next Q,

best,

• 4. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

fede7 wrote:

1 - /keyboard shortcuts

I'm glad I could choose for the FCP7 shortcut mode. Good point Adobe! Nevertheless,:

-> how can I add a "double-key" shortcut, as "rr" or even, a triple-key one?

Hi fede7,

There is no double or tripple tap capability for tool selection in Premiere Pro, sorry.

fede7 wrote:

-> Shortcuts seems not to be active-window aware. Is there a way to do so? I don't mean totally different  shortcuts but for instance the "zoom to sequence" in the TL and the "zoom to source monitor"/"zoom to program monitor" could have the same shortcut, acting appropriately in the respective window... Is that possible?

Currently, no.

fede7 wrote:

-> About the "M" for add marker, if in Premiere Pro (default) shortcut mode, it does a good job as in FCP, adding a marker to the Sequence or to the Clip, depending on if a clip is selected or not. Great, but if I set the shortcuts in the FCP7 mode, and add manually the "M" shortcut for "add marker", it doesn't see the difference. Same goes for the "edit marker" that works well in the default mode when on a marker, but not if the FCP mode is chosen... Can someone help on that?

This appears to be a bug: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

fede7 wrote:

2 - /Audio

-> Volume KFs can't be copied-pasted to another track. Neither via "Paste Attributes" nor via KF copy/Paste. Hey guys, FCP did that already 6 years ago... I hope I don't have to tell about the absolute need to be able to do so (when you've worked out your music under a VO and more and that your EP asks you to use another cue... for instance...). Please can someone tell me how to, or Adobe: make this a priority for the next update.

I was able to copy/paste attributes with audio keyframes to a different track. You can file a bug on that.

fede7 wrote:

-> the making/editing/moving of volume KF is pretty sluggish... It's not always, but quite often, my audio track blinks crazily when I do that, next to the fact that my cursor is very "sticky" after moving the kf, changing therefore their position as I'm moving away from where I left them.

Mine looks and feels OK. You may want to file a bug on that one too.

fede7 wrote:

3 - /Reveal clip in Project

-> An of course unmissable feature! But I seem to be able to do it only from the TL, and not form the Source monitor... Really unhandy if this is the case. Can someone tell me more if I mistake?

This works. Just right click or control click on the Source Monitor.

fede7 wrote:

I've plenty of other Q but I don't want to bother you guys too much in one go. And I must say, I feel a bit strange to have to get back to Forums for simple things after 13 years professional editing for TV but ok... That's how it is.

In any case, thanks a lot to who can give me a few tips about these issues.

@ Adobe: You are on the right path to get most of the fcp editors.. Please keep on listenning and implementing; it shows your good will ! There's still many improvments that can be done. THANKS!

System:

Premiere CC, Mac Pro, 12 cores, 2010, 20Gb RAM, 1GB GFX card.

Thanks for your post and your feedback. There are some good resources for FCP switchers, so have a look around.

My faves:

http://provideocoalition.com/ssimmons/story/105_adobe_premiere_pro_cs6_questions_answered

http://www.claygasbury.com/10-things-i-wish-i-knew-the-first-time-i-launched-premiere-pro- cs6-part-1/

Thanks,

Kevin

• 5. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I was able to copy/paste attributes with audio keyframes to a different track.

Clip keyframes can be copied to another clip, but I believe he was asking about track keyframes being copied to a new track, which can't currently be done.  (Can it?)

Just right click or control click on the Source Monitor.

Well how 'bout that.

• 6. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

Jim Simon wrote:

I was able to copy/paste attributes with audio keyframes to a different track.

Clip keyframes can be copied to another clip, but I believe he was asking about track keyframes being copied to a new track, which can't currently be done.  (Can it?)

Hi Jim,

Track keyframes can't be copy/pasted, only clip keyframes. An FCP switcher wouldn't be asking about track keyframes, because in FCP you cannot control audio tracks like you can in Premiere Pro. Everything there is related to individual clips, hence, the Clip Mixer being added.

Cheers,

Kevin

• 7. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

Hello,

I indeed asked about clip KF copy/pasting. Kevin is right about fcp unability in terms of tracks kf. As a matter of fact, I do see "volume" in the paste attribute dialog, but it doesn't work somehow. Maybe a bug...

Then, about rght-cliking in the source monitor for "revealing" the master clip in project, well, that doesn't show in my case....

Thanks and I'll try again tmrw at work.

let you know.

best,

Federico

• 8. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

A FCP switcher wouldn't be asking about track keyframes, because in FCP you cannot control audio tracks like you can in Premiere Pro.

Ah.  When he asked about copying to another track, I assumed he was talking about track keyframes, as we have seen that request many times.

• 9. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

I guess it helps having a crusty old FCP guy here on the forums from time to time.

I wrote manuals at Apple for Final Cut Studio 1 (FCP, LiveType) and was an internal editor for Final Cut Studio 3. I co-founded the first FCP user group over a decade ago and wrote this book. I also taught classes at trade schools on the west coast. I was a pretty hard core FCP guy.

Suffice it to say, I'm really glad I ended up here!

• 10. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                            RDA972 Level 3

Kevin Monahan wrote:

I wrote manuals at Apple for Final Cut Studio 1 (FCP, LiveType) and was an internal editor for Final Cut Studio 3. I co-founded the first FCP user group over a decade ago and wrote this book. I also taught classes at trade schools on the west coast.

An impressive resume if you ask me.

• 11. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

RDA972 wrote:

An impressive resume if you ask me.

Fortunately, Adobe thought so too!

• 12. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                                Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Fortunately, Adobe thought so too!

• 13. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

Hi,

I'm sorry guys but I can't copy paste KF from a clip to another. Via paste attributes it just doesn't work and if I load the clips in the source monitor, select the KF of clip A, copy them and load clip B, I can't paste them. Maybe i miss smthg but seems pretty dull to me.

And as for the Right click in the source monitor, oh yes, I tried... I right-click everyuwhere I could but nop. Hereby a screen grab of my contextual menu coming up if I right-cilck in the source monitor...

You tell me...

Thx.

SrceMonitor-Contxtual.jpg

• 14. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                                    Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

For copying audio KF.

Select Pentool, select clip on timeline, lasso the keyframes.

Rightclick and copy.

Now select other clip on the timeline and rightclick: Paste Attributes.

• 15. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

Thanks Ann!

I had tried that but used Cmd+C to copy the kfs (which doesn't work, leaving "Paste Attributes" grayed out). Using Right-click to copy makes it possible. My regards!

And well, since we're at it...:

a) One thing I really miss too is the ability to see the duration of a TL clip by right clicking on it (as in FCP). Here in PP, it seems i have to load it in the Source Monitor to view that which is quite annoying (same for the clip name, when it's a long one and I only have a few frames or secondes of it on the TL.

b) And even more missed is the possibility to set the duration of a clip part in the Source Monitor (assuming that there's a IN point). The Duration field in there is not modifyable... It would be very handy not to have to move the CTI to the wanted duration (- 1 frame) and then set the OUT point. Any idea...?

Thanks already.

Federico

• 16. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                                        Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Federico,

There are a lot of oddities when it comes to the difference between FCP and Premiere Pro, so you have to promise me you won't slap yourself when you read this.....

The duration (and name) of the timeline clip shows up in the tooltip when you hover the mouse over the clip.

Capture.PNG

While you can't just change the duration directly, you can click into the Playhead Position timecode and type the plus sign and the amount of time you want to jump ahead. So if you want to jump 20 seconds and 3 frames, type +2003 and enter. The CTI will jump and you can press "o" to set the out point.

Capture.PNG

• 17. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

Hi Steve,

thx for your reply. No I didn't slap myself... although... When I understand from your reply that I have to wait 2-3 seconds (or longer even, with a pen & tablet) with my cursor on the clip to know  something as basic as name and duration, I almost did... In a 1/4 of a sec, I could do this in FCP by right-clicking on the clip and reading...

About the click in playhead and +duration.....etc... yes, i know, that's what I wrote i hoped it wasn't the only way... So well, a bit disappointed... 3 click + TC input instead of 1click & duration input (shorter...).

But ok, as i said, I know PP has some good features too.. It's just the transition now, so I'm being a bit winny about what i had to leave behind... I dare to hope Adobe reads here around and takes notes.

By the way, about TC input:

Since version 5 or 6 of FCP, the TC input of current time was improved as "not...." hmm. how can say that..? Well, exemple:

If current time is 01:09:14:22 and I wanna go to 01:09:56:18, i just needed to type "56.18", FCP understanding/assuming that the number in the front were the unchanged... I then wasn't sure it would be an improvement, but after being used to it, i now really see the gain of time when I have to type TCin PP, that doesn't have this behavior. In PP one has to type the whole TC at all tie, including the almost ever present and never changing first "1"... Maybe it seems very detailed but I can tell you that it was a great way to speed up moving around in the TL or in the clip, when looking for TC or having a producer next to you working with TC based script or interviews...

Is there a way to make PP behave / understand TC in that way..?

Thanks again for all thoughts and time.

Federico

• 18. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                                            Jim_Simon Level 8

I was a pretty hard core FCP guy.

My condolences.

• 19. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                                              Jim_Simon Level 8

I have to wait 2-3 seconds (or longer even, with a pen & tablet) with my cursor on the clip to know  something as basic as name and duration,

You can click on it and get that info instantly in the Info window.

• 20. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                                                Jim_Simon Level 8

FCP understanding/assuming that the number in the front were the unchanged

So...what if you really did want to go to 0:0:56:18?

• 21. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

then yes, I would have to type the whole TC.

But after years of editing and the last 2 ones for programs for National Geographic, with 100's of hours of footage and indeed a script person next to me, I can tell that you want to go to a TC around the current one much more often than to a radically different one...

Most of the time being: "clip "xxxx" TC "nnnnnn". I used then to place myself on the clip on the TL if present and bam, match frame and there we are, around that TC... And then (refering to my previous little "complain"), when there you get: "oh, maybe it's in the shot before this one..." then BANG! a great Shift-F (in FCP) and I get the clip revealed in the browser/Project. Then easy arrow up, ENTER et voilà, 1 second after, i'm in the source monitor with the rightr clip....  My need for speed might not be universally shared, i can understand....

And again, I won't say it enough, i did make the choice to move to PP, so please, no comment like "well, go back to FCP if you miss it so much..."..

:-)

But thanks for the tip about the Info window! I'll have it open at all time from now on... And by the way, since working in PP, I decided to buy myself a third screen... two aren't enough anymore. There, on the 3rd one, I'll have several open bins, the info window, the clip mixer maybe... Well, I'll find my way.. :-D

Federico

• 22. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

You can do all the things you mentioned in PP as well.  It's just that timecode works normally, whereas FCP sort of worked backwards.  But once you're at the clip, you can Reveal in Project with with a right click, or set up a shortcut.  Then you can move to the other clips in the bin as desired.  You can also use F to Match Frame the clip in the sequence, which get's you into the Source Monitor, and if you had a range of clips previously loaded into the Source Monitor, move through them with a keyboard shortcut.

• 23. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                                                      JourneyFilmJB Level 1

I'm not sure about your other problems, but the "reveal in project window" is available as a keyboard shortcut; just by default (even if you choose the FCP keyboard shortcuts as a option) it's turned off. I've set mine to the good old Shift+F and have been cruising along ever since. Take a look at the screencap. Hope this helps even a little bit!

Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 9.01.16 AM.png

1 person found this helpful
                                                      • 24. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

Steven Gotz wrote:

So if you want to jump 20 seconds and 3 frames, type +2003 and enter. The CTI will jump and you can press "o" to set the out point.

Hi Steven,

Actually, that is not correct. If you want to have a duration of 20 seconds and 3 frames, you need to type +2002, then Enter, then mark Out. You have to account for the playhead that will add a frame if you use it for marking Out in every case.

This was recently discussed in this forum post: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1288516?tstart=30

Cheers,

Kevin

• 25. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

fede7 wrote:

Hi,

I'm sorry guys but I can't copy paste KF from a clip to another. Via paste attributes it just doesn't work and if I load the clips in the source monitor, select the KF of clip A, copy them and load clip B, I can't paste them. Maybe i miss smthg but seems pretty dull to me.

And as for the Right click in the source monitor, oh yes, I tried... I right-click everyuwhere I could but nop. Hereby a screen grab of my contextual menu coming up if I right-cilck in the source monitor...

You tell me...

Thx.

SrceMonitor-Contxtual.jpg

Hi fede7,

Looks like you are not running the current version. Are you running CS6 or CC? If CC, have you updated to the latest version?

Thanks,

Kevin

• 26. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

fede7 wrote:

then yes, I would have to type the whole TC.

But after years of editing and the last 2 ones for programs for National Geographic, with 100's of hours of footage and indeed a script person next to me, I can tell that you want to go to a TC around the current one much more often than to a radically different one...

Most of the time being: "clip "xxxx" TC "nnnnnn".

Hi Federico,

You are referring to FCP's "Find in Sequence" function. That feature is not included with Premiere Pro. You can make a feature request for Find in Sequence: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

As a workaround (+1 to Jon Barrie), find the clip in the Project Panel and then we can see the listing of all the instances used from there.  Selecting from the list will place the playhead at the first frame of the selected instance in the respective timeline (it can jump to a different timeline than which is currently open).  It won't select the clip itself and is a one at a time process.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 27. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

fede7 wrote:

When I understand from your reply that I have to wait 2-3 seconds (or longer even, with a pen & tablet) with my cursor on the clip to know  something as basic as name and duration, I almost did... In a 1/4 of a sec, I could do this in FCP by right-clicking on the clip and reading...

Hi Federico,

Unfortunately, Premiere Pro is not optimized for working with a pen and tablet, so you may experience anomalies if you use one. In the mean time, please make a feature request for this: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

Kevin

• 28. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

Jim Simon wrote:

I was a pretty hard core FCP guy.

My condolences.

Funny. Very funny. I only became a hardcore FCP guy 'cause I was trained as a hard core Avid editor. I am still working on my Premiere Pro chops. Getting there, though. Getting there...

• 29. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                                                                  Jim_Simon Level 8

...and coming along nicely.

• 30. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                                                                    Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Kevin,

Actually, that is not correct. If you want to have a duration of 20 seconds and 3 frames, you need to type +2002, then Enter, then mark Out. You have to account for the playhead that will add a frame if you use it for marking Out in every case.

I didn't actually say anything about a duration, I just said "jump", but thanks for the clarification anyway. 

• 31. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

Hi,

wow, you're lucky! I don't have that...!

Of course I did try to find it there, but in my shortcuts prefe, I don't have the "Source Monitor" section... (see my screengrab).. Any idea where's the bug?

RevealClip.jpg

• 32. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

Heammm... I thought I did...

Is this not the latest:

PPCC.jpg

And about your reply "Find in Sequence"... No, it;s not what I mean. Sorry, maybe I expressed yself incorrectly.

I was just mentionning the fact that I much more often need to go to a TC around the current one/where the CTI is than to a radical different one. Therefore, the fact that in FCP we don't need to type the TC numbers that are the same as the target TC is very handy. The first "1" is the perfect exemple of a number that is almost always there, so, why do we need to always type it.. Voilà...

See also my screengrab of the Keyboards Shortcuts, in which the "Reveal in Project" is inexistant for the Source Monitor Panel...

Thjanks for your time!

Federico

• 33. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                                                                          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Nope 7.0.1 is the latest.

Open you CC dialog box then go to APP and see if its says if everything is up to date.

• 34. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                                                                            22.Jim Simon,

Sep 4, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to fede7

You can do all the things you mentioned in PP as well.  It's just that timecode works normally, whereas FCP sort of worked backwards.  But once you're at the clip, you can Reveal in Project with with a right click, or set up a shortcut.  Then you can move to the other clips in the bin as desired.  You can also use F to Match Frame the clip in the sequence, which get's you into the Source Monitor, and if you had a range of clips previously loaded into the Source Monitor, move through them with a keyboard shortcut.

nope, sorry... Read well what I was (trying) to explain. I'm very aware of "match Frame" and the reveal in proejct inthe TL ( I was saying that it was not possible from the Source Monitor (but JourbeyFilm seems to be lucky enough to have it, so I'll have to see).... And about the way FCP assume/works with TC, I explained agina a bit further on in the post...

best,

• 35. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher
                                                                              Steven L. Gotz Level 5

Just FYI, I have it in the Windows version so I suppose they may have added it in CC 7.0.1 (105)

Do what Ann suggests and please let us know how it works out.

• 36. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

Hi,

7.0.1 solves the "reveal in project" in the Source Monitor issue... Very happy!

I'll see about the rest. One thing more though:

I really liked he possibility in FCP to have the embeded TC of the clips (V & A) visible on the Canvas/Program monitor. I found out it's there in the Info window, but any way to have them in the program monitor? (I definitely need to buy this 3rd screen.....!)

thx all!

• 37. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

fede7 wrote:

And about your reply "Find in Sequence"... No, it;s not what I mean. Sorry, maybe I expressed yself incorrectly.

I was just mentionning the fact that I much more often need to go to a TC around the current one/where the CTI is than to a radical different one. Therefore, the fact that in FCP we don't need to type the TC numbers that are the same as the target TC is very handy. The first "1" is the perfect exemple of a number that is almost always there, so, why do we need to always type it.. Voilà...

Hi Federico,

Yes, I understood that part. Sorry, I didn't make that clear. I was thinking you needed both things: shortcut timecode typing, and find in sequence. You were just speaking of timecode typing, sorry!

Anyway, please file a feature request for what you would like: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

Kevin

• 38. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

fede7 wrote:

Hi,

7.0.1 solves the "reveal in project" in the Source Monitor issue... Very happy!

Good news, Federico!

fede7 wrote:

I really liked he possibility in FCP to have the embeded TC of the clips (V & A) visible on the Canvas/Program monitor. I found out it's there in the Info window, but any way to have them in the program monitor? (I definitely need to buy this 3rd screen.....!)

thx all!

You're speaking of Source and Program monitor overlays, I assume. Please make a feature request for that, as well: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

Thanks,

Kevin

• 39. Re: a few basic questions by a FCP switcher

yes, the overlays indeed... But with the Info open, that could do...

About the requests:

I'm fine doing a request.... but may I say as well that IMHO, this could be part of the Adobe staff's job to sum up the main requests from users on a list somewhere, rather than asking users (that actually don't really have the time to write novels about the missing features twice. It's all in here, on the discussions I would say. Adobe just has to pick it up from here...).

No arrogance, but at my starting time, back in 2000, yes, I was keen to spend a lot of time on forums and learn. Well, for many years now, I more specifically work, edit, use the softwares and make TV & films... that's the idea isn't...? So indeed less into doing the whole job for Adobe... Sorry.

But mayhbe during rendering sometimes, I'll fill something in.

best,

1 2 Previous Next