9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2014 2:13 PM by bvconway

Default keyboard shortcuts set missing

Krusing Level 1

After running a program that sorted out some of my problems with my computers register, I discovered that all of my default and custom  keyboard shortcut sets, workspace arrangements and swatches had dissapeared. The workspace arrangements and swatches are not to hard to replace and make new ones. Most anoying is that the default shortcut set is missing (Edit -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> Set), the list is empty.

Is it possible to find this set somewhere? And where do I put it once I've found it?

• 1. Re: Default keyboard shortcuts set missing
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think you need to reinstall....

1 person found this helpful
          • 3. Re: Default keyboard shortcuts set missing
            Krusing Level 1

Found out that the files I thought was missing isn't actually missing, the program just don't know where to look for them. The shortcut files are located at C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS5.5\Presets\InDesign Shortcut Sets\en_GB

Now, how do I tell InDesign to look for the files in this directory? All presets can be found under ...\Adobe InDesign CS5.5\Presets\. Workspaces, shortcuts and swatches among others. It would take me all day to reinstall... just finding the CD will take hours (yes, a well-sorted office would be nice).

Any suggestions beside reinstalling?

• 4. Re: Default keyboard shortcuts set missing
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Did you already try trashing your preferences?

1 person found this helpful
              • 5. Re: Default keyboard shortcuts set missing
                Krusing Level 1

Not sure I understand what you are reffering to? Trashing, as in "reset" or as in "delete" my preferences? Tried resetting the workspace, didn't work. And there is no sets under "Shortcuts" to delete. I was able to manually add the swatch libraries by finding them on the computer.

• 6. Re: Default keyboard shortcuts set missing
                  Krusing Level 1

Thanks for the tip, one question tho... what does the program do? It asked if I wanted to remove the program. I was hoping it would restore the register keys to make the program find its way again...

• 7. Re: Default keyboard shortcuts set missing
                    Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

see Replace Your Preferences, but frankly I think you've done some actual damage in playing around in the registry and the best way to fix it is to reinstall.

• 8. Re: Default keyboard shortcuts set missing
                      Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I don't think this is damage from playing around in the registry.

I just had the exact thing happen on my Mac. Lost the Default shortcut sets.

The folder that was supposed to have the sets was labeled en_FR. (France)

Went to another machine with ID installed. Copied the en_US folder into the Shortcut sets folder and relaunched. Things are fixed.

I suspect this has something to do with the Sync Settings feature.

• 9. Re: Default keyboard shortcuts set missing
                        bvconway Level 1

Yes, I've had installed applications ruined by (so-called) registry-fixers before.  I think Peter is right in your case.  The safest thing is to reinstall and install the updates as well.  If the problem persists we'll know it's probably your system at fault.  My CS6 version only gives me the option to uninstall or remove preferences (i.e. no option to "Repair").

(I'm not sure if there are registry-fixers to fix problems caused by registry-fixers. Or, it might be called a clean system reinstall).

Sandee's case, where the presets have actually disappeared, or taken a Cloud holiday somewhere, looks to be different, which inspired me to do some cutting and pasting from (one of) the InDesign Help Reference (s) at

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WS668BC5E2-1E1A-4e75-A69A-44A787B4A5FAa.html #WS57E36B38-B2EB-4255-BAB5-19CCCB4319BFa

and

http://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/sync-settings.html

[start quote]

There are situations when the system could detect sync conflicts. Sync conflicts occur when the system is unable to determine whether you want a setting from Creative Cloud or from your local computer to be retained since both have been changed after the last sync operation.

Suppose that you change PDF presets on your work computer and sync settings to the Cloud. You then go home and change the same presets on your home computer without syncing with the cloud first. Now since the settings in the cloud and the settings on your home computer are both updated, conflict occurs when your try to sync. If you try to sync in this state, you see a conflict prompt.

Sync conflict prompt

• Sync Local: Sync local settings on this computer to the cloud; overwrite the cloud version with the local version of settings.
                        • Sync Cloud: Sync from the cloud to this local computer; ignore changes made to the local settings and replace them with the settings in the cloud.

• Keyboard shortcuts created for Windows will only sync with a Windows computer. Mac keyboard shortcuts will only sync with a Mac computer.

Copying keyboard shortcut sets

Keyboard shortcut sets (*.indk) are saved in two locations. The application preset shortcuts appear in the Presets folder in the main application folder. The shortcut sets you create appear in the Shortcut Sets folder in the following locations:

Windows XP
                        Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Adobe\InDesign\[version]\[language]InDesign Shortcut Sets

Windows Vista and Windows 7
                        Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\[Version]\[Language]\InDesign Shortcut Sets

Mac OS
                        Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/[version]/[language]/InDesign Shortcut Sets

If you created a keyboard shortcut set on one computer and want to use it on a different computer, copy the *.indk file to the same location on the other computer.

You can move a keyboard set from the custom location to the application folder. Doing so makes the custom shortcuts available to all the users sharing a computer. However, make sure that you do not have two sets with the same name, one in each place. Make sure that the application keyboard sets and the custom sets have different names.

[end quote]

For the CC version, I wonder if it might be a good idea to back up our shortcut sets from time to time.