13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 4:50 AM by Peter Spier

Placing graphics

VickyC112 Level 1

Usually to import a logo into InDesign I draw a rectangle and then Apple D to place the logo of choice. Usually, the logo will fit the rectangle but recently it imports as a tiny graphic and I have to enlarge it to fit. I'm sure it didn't used to do this so whether I've clicked something by mistake or changed a setting somewhere I'm not sure.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Placing graphics
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

This isn't Quark. No need to draw the frame first.

Just use file place, show option in the dialog and browse to the AI

file. In the options, choose crop to bounding box and click where you

want the graphic to be.

• 2. Re: Placing graphics
            Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Object>Frame Fitting Objects

Fit Object Proportionally

For all new documents going forward make this change with no documents open.

• 3. Re: Placing graphics

Eugene Tyson wrote:

Object>Frame Fitting Objects

Sorry that's

Object>Fitting>Frame Fitting Options

• 4. Re: Placing graphics
                MW Design Level 4

This isn't Quark. No need to draw the frame first.

Where did that comment come from?

In Q, there is also no need to place a frame first. In both, one can do so.

• 5. Re: Placing graphics
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

MW Design wrote:

In Q, there is also no need to place a frame first. In both, one can do so.

OK, Mike, I admit I haven't been a Q user since version 6. When did this change so you can import text or graphics without a frame to put them into?

• 6. Re: Placing graphics

Older versions required it and the few Quark users I've encountered have

kept up that behavior right through to the transition to InDesign.

• 7. Re: Placing graphics
                      MW Design Level 4

Hi Peter--I too left Q at the version 6 series. Early this year I obtained 9 for updating some old Q work and some new catalogs, so I am uncertain in which version it changed.

In 9, you can use ctrl + e and place text or an image directly, the frame is then created.

@Bob,

I was just wondering simply because most threads where Q has come into play there is often a statement like "in Quark..." Fact is both applications allow a frame of indertimate type to be drawn on the page and then import text or an image and the frame type changes depending upon the content imported/placed into it.

@ OP,

What I get when I place a file is that if I have an image frame on the page that has had no content, the AI file is placed at 100% of size when not using the place options. If I am placing an AI file into a frame that has had content, the placed file is brought in using the scaling of the originally placed file.

In the image the same image was placed without showing the place options. The frame on the left was placed simply by drawing an image frame, hitting ctrl + d, and selecting the image. It is at 100% size and so most of it is not showing.

In the frame on the right, I originally had an image that did not fill the frame, but rather took up the same width as the placed image I replaced it with. The "new" image is the same width in the frame as the first image was, and the proportionality is maintained.

capture-000535.jpg

So make the changes Eugene suggested if that is the desired behavior you want, show options as Bob suggested, etc.

Mike

Message was edited by: MW Design

• 8. Re: Placing graphics

I very rarely will draw a frame first for graphics (text is different

story). Reason being I want to deal with a 100% sized image. If you

start with something that's already been scaled you usually wind up

having to futz with it anyway.

In the end it's personal preference.

• 9. Re: Placing graphics

Whatever way you choose to do it - you'll have to fuss with it anyway.

InDesign has no way of knowing what good design is or how best to place the logo.

The best that can be done is let InDesign know what you expect it to when you import the image and how you want the Frames fitting options to behave.

Then you can fuss away.

• 10. Re: Placing graphics
                            MW Design Level 4

Hi Bob. Generally I do the same.

Only time I have created frames for content first was for a few templates where the layout remained the same, only content changed.

• 11. Re: Placing graphics

Would be kinda interesting if the OP came back to comment.

• 12. Re: Placing graphics
                                VickyC112 Level 1

I had a line of logos and needed to add one extra so created a frame in this case so that the logos would all roughly be in proportion. If I had simply gone File > Place then the logo would have ended up being  bigger than the others. At least by creating the frame first it was a helpful starting point.

Bob - something you said in your initial comment made me realise what the error was. In the options I had 'Crop to Crop' selected (from something I was working on a few days ago) but by selecting 'Crop to Bounding Box' the problem is sorted.

Thanks everyone for your help!

• 13. Re: Placing graphics
                                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Vicky, perhaps you aren't aware that you can create a frame of any size (that is in the same aspect ratio as the art) and scale the image/graphic proportionally all in one go as you place. You still need to select the proper crop option, but then you can simply click and drag the loaded cursor as you place.