4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2013 10:51 AM by toloko

Convert Flash to Edge?

toloko Level 1

I have an interactive trail locator map built in Flash that I would like to convert to HTML5 & CSS. I imported a .AI file into Flash with lines (hiking trails) and icons, converted those to symbols and used Create Button to change colors and add pop-up text in the Up, Over, and Down states. There are 5 Layers in Illustrator and 65 elements that I made into buttons using Flash. Can I use Edge to do something similar?

• 1. Re: Convert Flash to Edge?
          AMULI Level 4

Hi toloko,

You can export your AI graphics into a format that Edge can import : PNG or SVG.

You can rebuild your buttons in Edge. There is only one type of symbol in Edge, and it's more or less the equivalent of a Flash Movie Clip. As there is no Button – with the four prebuilt frames – you should simulate them yourself. I show you how in this thread (with a downloadable example) :

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5443887#5443887

But sadly, nothing like a converter

Gil

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Convert Flash to Edge?
            toloko Level 1

It seems that the coding for 65 buttons would be more than I can do. Can you confim that each of the irregular lines I want to make into buttons would need to be saved from Illustrator to an SVG file individually?

You don't need to, but you can see the map here:
            http://braggcreek.ca/kananaskis/locator_map.htm

• 3. Re: Convert Flash to Edge?
              AMULI Level 4

As far as I can see, you have about twenty hot spots on the map. Or is there another map with 65 hot spots ?

I would export tent.svg, caravan.svg, fish.svg, bullet.svg, import them into Edge. Then build the buttons symbols from them.

To streamline the process, once you've build the first symbol, to avoid building the next from scratch, duplicate the first, then modify the duplicata as needed.

Gil

• 4. Re: Convert Flash to Edge?
                toloko Level 1

As well as the tent, caravan, fish and bullet icons, each of the trails, drawn as squiggly lines in purple or green, are buttons. That's the problem. I can't redraw them in Edge and exporting each as an SVG would be less difficult than the coding the button effect, but it would be a lot of work in and of itself. Seems like I'm stuck with Flash for now. This Flash movie doesn't work on a lot of mobile devices and I thought I might join the Creative Cloud to get a tool to bring it up-to-date, but I may have to wait a while. Others in this forum have commented on the absence of a "Create Button" tool in Edge. It is needed.

1 person found this helpful