18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2013 5:16 PM by A.T. Romano

I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.

MeekaLuluLuna

I've been working on a slideshow project (jpeg stills + audio) in PE11, Windows 7.  The Publish & Share to DVD worked fine - burned test DVD's for editing along the way.  After I burned what I thought was my final version, I selected "export files to play on computers".  I corrected an error in my project and then tried to burn another DVD.  The process stops @ 99% saying "runtime error: unknown exception". 

Project size: 4.38 GB, length 1:13.

Fixes tried that didn't work: defragmenting, freeing space on hard drive (120 GB free), burning to a folder.

Can you help, please.

• 1. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, if possible, let's step back to the point between when the Project DID burn a DVD, and when it would hang. What were the changes that you made? The more detail that you can recall, and provide, the better.

Also, with the Project, just as it is now, can you successfully Burn to Folder? Does that complete?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

For a bit of background, here is the process that PrE goes through, when burning, either to a Disc, or to a Folder.

1. The Timeline is Transcoded to separate Video, then Audio Streams. In PrE, this is done in two steps for the Video Stream - the first pass surveys the Video, primarily for motion. Then, the process starts over, and in the second pass, that survey data is used to do the actual Transcoding.
            2. Those separate files are then muxed (Multiplexed, or combined into one file, with both the Video and Audio Streams)
            3. The navigation is compiled - Menus, any Motion in those Menus, all navigation, etc.
            4. The navigation, plus the Transcoded, muxed Video and Audio file are gathered up, and run through the Vobulator module, to create the DVD structure.
            5. When all of that is complete, the resulting VIDEO_TS folder structure, with the VOB, IFO and BUP files are then either Burned to Disc, or written to a Folder. These last two functions are fairly quick, compared to the Transcoding step, which is the longest.

Ninety-nine % is about the point where either the muxing is taking place, or the Vobulator is gathering up all the pieces. Usually, if the error happens IN the Vobulator process, the error message will mention the Vobulator - though, unfortunately, not always. If the error takes place before - in the muxing part of the process - then the error is often less informative.

As that muxing process requires a good deal of defragmented free-space (you have three files for a bit), this can be a hangup for some users. You mention that you did clean the HDD, and defragment it, and the resulting 120GB defragmented space, should be more than adequate.

Now, did you have any active, real-time anti-virus, or anti-malware software running, when you were doing the Burn to Disc? If so, I would turn that off, as some of those programs can "lock" large files, and PrE gets a "time-out," when trying to work with those files.

Good luck, and let us know what changes were made, plus how the Burn to Folder operation went.

Hunt

• 3. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
              MeekaLuluLuna Level 1

No, my project won't burn to folder.  It stops at the same place and with

the same error message as burning to DVD.

I made two changes between when the project DID burn to DVD and when it

began to hang:

1.  I selected "export files for playing on computers" & exported them to a

flash drive.  The flash drive doesn't have as clear video resolution as

DVD's.

2.  I lengthened the time span of 35 still clips by 1 second each thus

adding about 35 seconds to the length of my project.

• 4. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                MeekaLuluLuna Level 1

Thank you Hunt.  That pretty complex for me, but I can tell you the burn

progress bar completed encoding menus 1-6, encoding media and compiling

media.  The burn stopped during the burn progress bar @ 99%.  I've tried

burning several times.  The same thing happens whether burning to a disc or

folder.

It's like something's missing from my PE11 program, like a driver??.

The burner I'm using is Power2Go.  After reading your response, I disabled

my antivirus & tried to burn another disc but that didn't work either (same

results - still stops @ 99%).

• 5. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

MeekaLuluLuna

Below are a lot of details looking for clarification. But, the bottom line is do you still have the Premiere Elements 11 project from which you created your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc?  If the answer is yes, edit the Timeline, and do another Publish+Share/Disc/DVD burn to disc. In view of what you wrote, I would take a closer look at the video that you are now trying to burn to disc DVD.

I am not clear on your interaction of the details that you wrote regarding "export files for playing on computer" and "flash drive".

The rest of my message below goes into some considerations if you care to read further.

I think that we will find your answer in specific details...

a. After you did the original burn to DVD, got your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, and decided that you needed to make changes in the DVD-VIDEO content, what did you do?

b. Did still have the project in which you created the DVD-VIDEO disc, the project that would have included the Timeline content needing correct? If yes, then all you would have to do is the correct the Timeline content then and there and then do again the Publish+Share/Disc/DVD burn to DVD.

From what you wrote, it sounds to be that you took a Premiere Elements 11 Timeline content, edited it, and then moved on to Publish+Share/Computer "Export files for playing on computer"/and then selected Adobe Flash Video for a flash export (no flash drive as in USB flash drive involved). If that is the scenario, the Adobe Flash Video does have presets and, under the Advanced Button of the preset, settings can be found which can be customized for what you need.

It is not clear to me what you are doing in the Adobe Flash Video export. Or, what you might have transferred to a USB Flash Drive if that is what you meant.

"Power To Go" is a 3rd party burn software; it is not the burner. Perhaps you have a burner that offers that software. But in this instance you would not be using it since, if you are using Premiere Elements, you would be using the Sonic burn software that is built into Premiere Elements.

I hope this helps.

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

MeekaLuluLuna

Add On question...did you have video transitions between your photos on the Timeline? If so, what happened to the transitions after you increased the duration of the photos?

ATR

• 7. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                      MeekaLuluLuna Level 1

Yes. I have the saved file that was successfully burned to DVD. Have already tried opening it & burning it to DVD again (both as it was & after editing the timeline) but it won't complete the burn now.

For clarification, I thought it would be a good idea to be able to play my slideshow project on computers. So, in the publish & share drop down I clicked on "export files for playing on computers". When asked where I wanted the file saved to, I selected my g:\ drive, a USB drive where my flash drive was located. It saved to the flash drive fine but needs one more edit.

You mentioned exporting to a USB has advanced settings. Could any settings have automatically changed during the process that would now be interfering with burning to DVD or folders?

• 8. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                        MeekaLuluLuna Level 1

Oops.  I see the publish & share option is worded "Computer. Export files

for viewing on computers" rather than for playing on computers.  When I

made that selection, I did not change and of PE11's advanced settings, just

directed PE where to save the project.

• 9. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

MeekaLuluLuna

Yes, you can save your Timeline content to a file saved to the computer hard drive (in your case, you decided on a USB Flash Drive). But, here is the detail that needs to be considered:

1. You can go to Publish+Share/Computer which has the description Export files for playing on computer), but after that you have the task of selecting your export type and the settings for it. The choices under Computer are:

Adobe Flash VIdeo

MPEG

AVCHD

AVI

Windows Media

QuickTime

Audio

and each of those has presets (defaults as well as places where you can customized the export settings).

Which one of those categories did you select? And, what preset under that category did you select? And, did you adjust the export settings under the Advanced Button for that preset or did you just go with the default?

Your success or failure with an export such as this can be influenced by your choices.

And, not all of the exports will play on all the players.

So, besides knowing what type of file you produced, we need to consider what player you are using for the play back.

And, also, putting this export of file aside, do you still have the project.prel file that you used to get the first DVD-VIDEO? If so, are you saying that you cannot use that again to get any DVD-VIDEO from it, edited or unedited Timeline content?

Please check out the above and then we can decide if we are in sync on the details. Do not hesitate to let me know if you think that I am misinterpreting your details. I will re-think them if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

MeekaLuluLuna

Just saw your post 8 after I posted my most recent post.

Playing and viewing are the same. It is the computer players that will have different specifications regarding which formats it will and will not play.

Please check out what I wrote in post 9, and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

On Add...for our immediate purposes, it will be more important which category and preset (default) we select under Publish+Share/Computer than it will going under the Advanced Button of the preset to customized the export settings.

More later.

• 11. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                              MeekaLuluLuna Level 1

You're correct. I still have the project.prel file used to get the first DVD-VIDEO, but cannot use it again to get any DVD-VIDEO from it.

Re: saving project to flash drive. I did not select any settings, just used PE11's default settings. That probably explains the poor playback quality. But, at this point I don't care about having a copy on a flash drive. I just need to find a way to burn a DVD again.

Thanks for sticking with me. Your previous advice about improving video clarity by starting my project over using different setting worked really well.

Sandy

• 12. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Sandy

Thanks for the follow up.

Let us focus on trying to get the original project.prel to work to create another (edited) DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

Before all else, check out Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11.0 and the Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder and Media Cache Folder. Let us know if you find pile up of files in either one. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and, in the Media Cache Database area, click the Clean Button.

Please check out the following idea and then decide if it will work for you to get that edited DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc that you seek.

1. Make a copy of the project.prel file that you used to make your original DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc.

See File Menu/Save a Copy. Name the Copy something different but easily recognizable.

2. Open the copy project.prel. Expand the Timeline content with the Zoom In and Zoom Out slider above the Expert workspace Timeline. In the track contents, look for anything out of place. Look for slivers and leftovers for files that you thought that you had deleted. These things usually present as very, very thin black vertical lines scattered about the track contents.

3. As I asked before, when you changed the duration of your photos in your edit of the originals, did you lose any video transitions in the process. Is your disc menus creation still there?

4. In whatever you are doing, the important thing to remember is not to move any of the source media that went into one of your projects after you have saved closed them.

5. Since have not been able to burn to file or folder for your DVD-VIDEO, I suspect that the core of the issue is that Timeline content.

Please consider the above and then we will think about this some more.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                                  MeekaLuluLuna Level 1

Before all else, check out Documents/Adobe/Premiere Elements/11.0 and the

Adobe Premiere Elements Previews Files Folder (I deleted these files to

clear hard disc space after my burn hang up problem started and I had

tried all other suggestions without success) and Media Cache Folder. Where's

the Media Cache Folder?  Let us know if you find pile up of files in either

one. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Media and, in the Media Cache Database

area, click the Clean Button.

1. Make a copy of the project.prel file that you used to make your original

DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. Done

See File Menu/Save a Copy. Name the Copy something different but easily

recognizable.

2. Open the copy project.prel. Expand the Timeline content with the Zoom In

and Zoom Out slider above the Expert workspace Timeline. In the track

contents, look for anything out of place. Look for slivers and leftovers

for files that you thought that you had deleted. These things usually

present as very, very thin black vertical lines scattered about the track

contents. This is great info - really makes editing easier.  Found &

deleted several slivers and many gaps.

3. As I asked before, when you changed the duration of your photos in your

edit of the originals, did you lose any video transitions in the process.

Is your disc menus creation still there?  My transitions and menus creation

are still there...not lost.

4. In whatever you are doing, the important thing to remember is not to

move any of the source media that went into one of your projects after you

have saved closed them.  All source media used in projects is in the

original location & under the same name.

5. Since have not been able to burn to file or folder for your DVD-VIDEO, I

suspect that the core of the issue is that Timeline content.  I'm trying to

burn the new copy project just created to a DVD tonight.  Going slowly, but

going.  Wasn't able to render project first because the time device hung up

near the beginning.    Will let you know how this burn goes.  Keeping my

fingers crossed...

• 14. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

MeekaLuluLuna

Keeping a positive thought for your burn to DVD in progress.

As for the Media Cache Folder, if you cannot find it, please go to Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disk and see where it is directed to. If it is at the default, it may be in Local Disk C/Users/Owner/AppData/Roaming/ some where. To see that type of path, make sure the your Folder Options include "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives".

For subsequent projects, I would move that Media Cache Folder so that it is in the same place as the other Scratch Disks.

We will be watching for your progress. Right now, do not change a thing as we await the burn to results.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR

• 15. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                                      MeekaLuluLuna Level 1

It worked!  Thank you so much.

• 16. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

MeekaLuluLuna

This afternoon I have been away from the computer on non Elements business and am only now catching up on the day's activities here since this morning.

I was so very pleased to see your great, great news. Congratulations on your success.

Continued success moving forward with your projects.

Thanks again for the follow up.

ATR

• 17. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                                          MeekaLuluLuna Level 1

One more question: is there a way to make this DVD of my slideshow play in

a continuous loop?

• 18. Re: I'm unable to burn a DVD of my project.
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

MeekaLuluLuna

The easiest way for DVD-VIDEO on DVD looping is to set the player for that option, if the player has that option.

There is no looping of DVD-VIDEO on DVD feature in Premiere Elements, but you can use Premiere Elements in conjunction with 3rd party programs such as IfoEdit and PgcEdit to get this looping. In fact, I have a blog post with step by step how to using either IfoEdit or PgcEdit.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe-looping-dvd-video-on-dvd-disc.html

Please take a look at the how tos and see if it something you want to do if your player does not offer a looping option.

If you need help with any of the details in that blog post, I will work with you through the details.

Looking forward to the outcome.

ATR