6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2013 1:49 PM by Kevin-Monahan

Premiere Pro CC Lift/Extract behavior - Unwanted extra frame?

ElJayBronx Level 1

I recorded a concert for the promoter, and made a DVD which had dissolves between the music clips (eliminating some talking, orchestra re-arranging etc.)

The producer then asked me to make individual clips for YouTube upload.

My usual procedure has been:

Down-arrow until start of desired clip. Mark "in" ("i"). Down-arrow to end of clip. Mark "out" ("o"). Lift ";" or Extract "'". Undo (to restore clip in original sequence). Result: The desired clip is in the copy/paste buffer. Create new sequence and paste ("Ctrl-V").

Through CS6, this process gives me a perfect restore of my clip in the new sequence.

Due to some "improvements" in the dissolves, lift, extract etc. in CC, I have ONE FRAME of the NEXT CLIP. This then has to be manually removed, and the cross-dissolve out/audio Constant Power out need to be replaced.

That one frame is very annoying and unnecessary. Can anyone think of a reason it's there...or one not to ask Adobe to look and see if this can be fixed?

Jay

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CC Lift/Extract behavior - Unwanted extra frame?
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi Jay,

ElJayBronx wrote:

Down-arrow until start of desired clip. Mark "in" ("i"). Down-arrow to end of clip.

That's not correct. The Down Arrow moves to the first frame of the next clip, not the last frame of the existing clip. So, you want to move left one frame before marking Out. It's always been this way for all NLEs that I've ever worked with (granted, Avid has an overrride modifier key that places the Out on the last frame). If you zoom way in on the playhead, you can see what's happening.

Screen Shot 2013-09-03 at 11.44.05 AM.png

Feel free to make a feature request to add a modifier key or preference to change the behavior of the Down arrow key.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CC Lift/Extract behavior - Unwanted extra frame?
            ElJayBronx Level 1

So the required keystrokes are down-arrow, left-arrow, "o". then it should work. I can live with that, I suppose...

I just proved out what you said in CS6 (the same project predates CC and I opened it in the older version). I stand corrected.

I usually have a black-video separator between clips. This concert needed to flow differently (eliminating all the delay between numbers, but without fading to black). Obviously, with the separator I never noticed the extra frame. This time, it stood out like a sore thumb (especially with the dissolve out mysteriously dissolving into the next scene which of course was not part of the individual clip!)

Oh well. Live and learn.

Jay

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CC Lift/Extract behavior - Unwanted extra frame?
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              So the required keystrokes are down-arrow, left-arrow, "o". then it should work. I can live with that, I suppose...

Or select the clip and hit Mark Selection (the / key).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Premiere Pro CC Lift/Extract behavior - Unwanted extra frame?

Jim Simon wrote:

Or select the clip and hit Mark Selection (the / key).

Right, forgot to add that you can use Mark Selection if the clip is selected, or Mark Clip if the clip is not selected and the track is properly targeted.

Mark Clip will set In and Out marks for the clip in the same fashion as Mark Selection.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Premiere Pro CC Lift/Extract behavior - Unwanted extra frame?
                  ElJayBronx Level 1

Jim, that would be great IF I didn't want to take the titles and all, on multiple tracks, which the in/out routine does. Would in my case, at least, add more keystrokes and other navigation to the routine. down-down-back-lift (or extract, doesn't matter) is a LOT easier than "/" + search-around-for-titles-and-select-them-too.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro CC Lift/Extract behavior - Unwanted extra frame?

ElJayBronx wrote:

down-down-back-lift (or extract, doesn't matter) is a LOT easier than "/" + search-around-for-titles-and-select-them-too.

Hi Jay,

See if Mark Clip will work better for you, then.

Thanks,

Kevin