• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC - Spell check not working.

New Here ,
Sep 03, 2013 Sep 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can purposefully type a misspelled word in InDesign and the Spell Check doesn't catch it. In fact it doesn't seem to work at all.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Feb 24, 2016 Feb 24, 2016

As is often the case, the answer is simple. I find a lot of people jump to things like entering code in the terminal and the like. I had the problem and someone posted that You simply have to exit preview mode. "w" (when your cursor is not typing text, otherwise escape then w) will bring it up. Presto, dynamic spell check is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Sep 03, 2013 Sep 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a language assigned to it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2014 Feb 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And if the right language is assigned....?

Ever since I upgraded to the most recent Indesign CC, spell check will not work. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the correct language is assigned in the Character or Control panel, it should be spell-checked by that dictionary.

Try restoring your preferences. Here's how:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arrg. That worked for a little bit. Now: spell check works for two files. Two other files I have open it will not work. And any new doc created it will not work.

I didn't change any preferences at all.

What else could it be/can I do???? Resetting preferences every few hours would be rediculous.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Can you check the language of your application in No Doc state. Please try following steps

1.) Launch ID and do not open any document (No doc state).

2.) Open Character panel (Ctrl/Cmd+T)

3.) Check the Language in the language dropdown.

4.) If Language set as  "NoLanguage" then change it to "English: USA"

Now open a new document and verify whether spell check works for you or not.

Spell.PNG

Thanks

Dinesh Kukreja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2014 Feb 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. That didn't work either. Tried a few other languages just for kicks. They don't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works. Select all and change to English.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-tried trashing the preferences again opening a new doc, checking the language: English USA. Popped in some lorem ipsum.

Spell Check will not work.

At this point I think it's a Program error, since it started from the last time I upgraded CC.

Since there isn't a new upgrade that I see yet I am thinking uninstalling and reinstalling ID will not do anything different.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Adobe could you check into another ID CC upgrade perhaps?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a good chance your language preferences are coming from your Paragraph Styles.  Paragraph styles override all other document preferences when applied to text. 

To check if this is the problem, open your paragraph styles panel (F11) and double-click any of the styles (i.e. [basic paragraph]).  Click the 'Advanced Character Formats' tab on the left navigation menu; verify that Language is set to your preferred language (e.g. English: USA). 

Do this for all listed styles, then save your document.  Run spell check again and your problem should be solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. that's not it either.

Brand new file created, no styles at all, and the Basic Paragraph is set on English USA.

Spell check will not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing the same problem here, including "Ignore All" not working and picking up the same word within the same paragraph (so same style, same language). Only have one master, one language setting. Stopped working after latest CC update.

Have trashed preferences and there are no updates available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 27, 2014 Feb 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I, too, can't get the latest version of InDesign to spellcheck. This is terrible. I'm going to have to start using Quark again if this keeps up. I need to be able to spell check my files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 28, 2014 Feb 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide more detail on your workflow, Julie?

A few screenshots of what you are seeing would be helpful as well.

Thanks,

Amy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. I'm using Adobe Indesign CC v 9.2 on an iMac running OS X v. 10.9.2. When I try to spellcheck, the palette pops up, but if memory serves... the check mark at the top left SHOULD turn green when it's ready to spellcheck. It never does. I click on "Start" and it does nothing. No error messages or anything indicating a problem (other than the green check mark isn't green). For a long while I thought it was spellchecking and not finding any misspellings. It wasn't until a client pointed out somthing was mispelled that I realized it wasn't working. screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly what my InDesign is doing. Even after I reset all preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 05, 2014 Mar 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Could you please provide the following information which could help in reproducing the issue at my end.

- Please provide screen shot of the dictionary preferences from following location.

Mac : Indesign->Preferences->Dictionary

Win : Edit->Preferences->Dictionary

- Please confirm whether this issue is also happening with new documents? Can you attach an .indd document with some misspelled words which ID spell check is not able to find. 

- Do you have previous version of InDesign installed on your machine ? IF yes, can you tell me which all older version of InDesign are installed on your machine ?

- Please confirm whether Spell check was working fine for you in previous version i.e. in Version 9.1 and issue started when you updated to latest version i.e. ID 9.2.

I really appreciate your cooperation on this.

Thanks & Regards

Dinesh Kukreja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 13, 2014 Mar 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to re-produce this issue in house and also worked with Julie who was facing this issue. I could not find out any obvious reason why spell check should not work after updating to ID 9.2. I suspected that there could be some installation issue which resulted in this issue. So i suggested Julie to uninstall then Indesign and re-install from the Creative Cloud and this has worked for her and Spell check is working now.

Please try this out and see whether this works for others  who are facing the similar issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2014 Mar 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dinesh, we just tested this in our office and the problem is still persisting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update regarding spell check. We had originally un-installed, re-installed and nothing changed. After running an update yesterday through CC, spell check partially works now: it will pick up misspelled words, however, 'Change All' and 'Ignore All' still do not work - not even when the same word is in the exact same paragraph using the exact same style. 'Ignore All' is available to click on, but doesn't actually ignore. 'Change All' is greyed out and the same word gets picked up over and over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2015 Mar 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue happening here… though I only realized it when a client pointed out some typos *after* I knew I had run spellcheck…

Running the latest ID 10.0.0.70 on a Mac running the latest 10.10.2. Everything in the document (selected type), styles and prefs are set to US English, the Hunspell thing is selected and it finds nothing whatsoever to fix, even very obvious typos… I guess I'll try adding my own dictionary as mentioned above to see if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 01, 2015 Apr 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running the latest ID 10.0.0.70 on a Mac running the latest 10.10.2.

That's not the latest build of ID. Quit the Desktop App using the gear icon, restart it and then update ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2014 Apr 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the only thing that helped was un-install and re-installing via the CC updater.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!  I just suddenly had this spelling issue occur for a single document and tried everything else. I got to your advice, and hey presto, my main para style had somehow changed itself to Japanese!  No idea why! Changed it back and since other styles based on it, they switched too, and now spellcheck is working fine.

THANK YOU THANK YOU I hope you're still around to know you saved the day for me. You're my hero. THANK YOU.

Terry

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2016 Mar 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines