8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2013 2:08 AM by UlfLaursen

New Samsung 840 EVO SSD's

Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

These drives are not suitable for RAID operation.  I have a pair of Samsung 840 Pro drives in RAID 0 and they are excellent performers (probably the best available), but in a new build I bought the slightly less expensive new 840 EVO model and performance is lousy.  After just conferring with Samsung tech support they discouraged any use of the new EVO drives in RAID configurations.  I have tested with HD Tune Pro and also PPBM6 and both confirm that you get lousy write performance.  Read performance is pretty good.  The supplied "Samsung Magician" software does not recognize the the RAIDed SSD's so you cannot make any adjustments like you can with a single device.  I will attempt to return these and trade them in for the PRO versions.

• 1. Re: New Samsung 840 EVO SSD's
          JEShort01 Level 4

Wow, that is dissapointing indeed but thanks for the heads up!

The 1TB EVOs were looking pretty attractive on paper, but your testing may be proving otherwise.

What size did you test and what were the details of your RAID 0 configuration (onboard, hardware controller, etc.)?

Thanks,

Jim

• 2. Re: New Samsung 840 EVO SSD's
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Good tip on the RAID, but how do they perform as single drives?  With capacities reaching 1TB, they'd be useful as Media drives.  (And does that warning also extend to RAID 1, or just RAID 0, which is generally a bad idea anyway?)

• 3. Re: New Samsung 840 EVO SSD's

I was using the EVO 250 GB versions.  My interface was on ports SATA 3-0 and SATA 3-1 of my Z86 Gigabyte board (Intel chipset).  As a single media drive, it would be a perfect application.  That warning extends to any RAID application.  Read on to see Samsungs response.

Here are the excellent results of my Samsung 840 PRO SSD's.  This is the setup that with the write intensive Disk I/O PPBM6 testing consistantly scores about 41-46 seconds which translates to 800-900 MB/second.

HD Tune z68 Intel Read 840Pro 2 x 256 R0.png

HD Tune z68 Intel Write 840Pro 2 x 256 R0.png

Here is a typical(?) Write performance HD Tune plot of this pair of EVO SSD's..  Performance seems to vary each time I test this array.  I have seen a flat line all the way across at 500 MB/s, and seen much worse results

Samsung EVO R0 Lousy Write.png

If you only are concerned with single usage then they are great.. I have not ye tried RAID 1 and after the response form Samsung I am attempting to return two of the three that I bought.  But it bothers me that their Tech Support does not advise using them for RAID applications here is the response:

"Hello Bill Gehrke ,

Thank you for your inquiry to Samsung Semiconductor.  Unfortunately, the 840 EVO series SSD is not intended for any RAID environment. Only the 840 Pro series drives are. The EVO series SSD is intended for single arrays only.  If you have any further questions, please send us more question again or visit our Homepage(http://www.samsungsemi.com). 

Sincerely,

Device Solutions Division Samsung Electronics Co,.Ltd."

• 4. Re: New Samsung 840 EVO SSD's
                Jim_Simon Level 8

I don't find that response particularly elucidating re: RAID 1, I'm afraid.  It is, after all, a very different animal than any other form of RAID.

• 5. Re: New Samsung 840 EVO SSD's

Jim,

If this sentence gives you any reassurence of use for RAID 1 usage, go ahead and try it yourself.

"Unfortunately, the 840 EVO series SSD is not intended for any RAID environment."

I will be using at least one 840 EVO device myself but never in any RAID configuration.

• 6. Re: New Samsung 840 EVO SSD's
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Ah, would that the budget and workload allow for that.  I actually just bought 2 new 3TB drives for a RAID 1 media setup.  I hope that'll hold me for a while.

• 7. Re: New Samsung 840 EVO SSD's

Further investigation.   Even a single EVO drive will not work on an RAID enabled SATA port, and I am having problems with a single EVO drive on a Marvell AHCI port.

• 8. Re: New Samsung 840 EVO SSD's
                        UlfLaursen Level 2

Good info to have

Ulf