17 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2013 10:57 AM by A.T. Romano

Rendering does not finish

walkeal Level 1

When attempting to render a 12 minute video in PE 11 the rendering appears to start - the cursor starts moving along the timeline - but then, at about 1 minute it just stops. When I click "render" again to re-start it the cursor jumps back to the start and runs again until about 1 minute and stops again. This keeps repeating until I give up.  Help!

My computer is a HP with 1.2 tb hard drive (about .1tb used), 9gb memory, Intel coreI7 960video card, Windows 7 - 64 bit.

• 1. Re: Rendering does not finish
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Does the light-gray Work Area Bar along the top of the Expert timeline cover your entire project?

The program will only render what is under the Work Area Bar.

• 2. Re: Rendering does not finish
            walkeal Level 1

Yes, the light gray bar covers the complete video work area.

• 3. Re: Rendering does not finish
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Walkeal,

I am curious about this line:

the rendering appears to start - the cursor starts moving along the timeline - but then, at about 1 minute it just stops. When I click "render" again to re-start it the cursor jumps back to the start and runs again until about 1 minute and stops again.

When one hits the Enter/Return key, the CTI (Current Time Indicator) should not be moving. The only "movement" that you will see, will be the yellowish/orange line above Clips, that need to be Rendered for ultimate viewing, will turn green.

Could you be hitting the Spacebar (to Play the Timeline), instead of the Enter/Return key?

Just curious,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Rendering does not finish
                walkeal Level 1

I am hitting the word "render" which is to the right on the black bar, above the gray bar which is above the timeline.

I know nothing about the enter/return key for rendering and I do not get any yellow or green bits anywhere. I used to get the red line in PE 10

• 5. Re: Rendering does not finish

Maybe it wouid be best if you posted to this forum a screen capture of your timeline indicating where the rendering is stopping. There are a number of possibilities, but we can't really speculate without seeing your timeline.

• 6. Re: Rendering does not finish
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that info.

If you have no red, or orangish line above your Clips, why are you Rendering?

Rendering basically creates "proxy files," to be used for ultimate quality playback only. If you have no colored lines, or green lines, there is nothing to Render.

I concur with Steve G, that a screen-cap of your Timeline will be useful.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Rendering does not finish
                      walkeal Level 1

I am rendering because that is what I was told to do in PE 10 to stop the movie stalling all the time while I was editing it. It worked most of the time too so I thought it might work for this situation.

I will be happy to send a screen shot but do not know how to do it. Please tell me.

Also I have been unable to spend any time editing since you guys helped me to get the timeline thing straightened out so maybe you are onto something. That there is nothing to render and once I get back onto editing everything will run smoothly. Except I still wonder why it kept stopping when i was importing the video.

• 8. Re: Rendering does not finish
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Walkeal,

For the attached screen-cap, this article might be useful: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2643538#2643538

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Rendering does not finish
                          walkeal Level 1

P.E.jpg

It worked! Great instructions Bill. Thought would send this before I start editing. Don't know whether you can see it but there is a yellow line that runs the full length of the timeline.

Thanks again for the help.

Alan

• 10. Re: Rendering does not finish
                            walkeal Level 1

During edit.jpg

Sorry got so excited I forgot this step! This is where the movie stopped while I was trying to get it to the first edit point which was going to be just a few seconds more along the timeline. At other times it did not get even this far and this was when i tried the rendering which just shot the curser back to the start.

Alan

• 11. Re: Rendering does not finish

There is nothing on this timeline to render, Alan.

If there was a part of this movie that needed to be rendered, it would show as a yellow-orange line along the top of the timeline -- just below the ticker that shows the seconds and frames. You have no such yellow-orange line -- which explains why you're not able to render anything.

• 12. Re: Rendering does not finish
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

walkeal

As SG points out, you do not appear to have anything to render to get a better preview. The program indicator (no colored line in this case) is telling you that you have the best possible preview but you still have a problem that needs addressing.

Did you ever say what camera this footage is coming from? If not, please do so.

A while back I suggested a remedy for some poorly behaving Timeline content that worked in that particular case. I would like you to consider trying it.

a. highlight your clip on the Timeline, right click it, and select Time Stretch.

b. in the Time Stretch dialog, change the Speed% from 100 to 99. Click OK to exit the Time Stretch dialog.

c. when you return to the Timeline, your "no colored line" over the Timeline content will now be replaced by an orange line over the Timeline content (again I am not referring to the horizontal orange line that runs through the middle of the clip).

d. now render the Timeline and observe the flow of the Timeline Indicator across the tracks as the video displays in the Edit Mode Monitor.

Did it improve the situation or did the problem persist?

The rationale behind this was to force a need for rendering (no colored line then turning to green line) so that the program would render the contents.

Premiere Elements 11 and earlier versions use "no colored line" or green line for OK with regard to best possible preview.

Premiere Elements 11 uses an orange line to indicate need for rendering for best preview purposes; whereas earlier versions use a red line for this.

Please review and then let us know if any of that worked for you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: Rendering does not finish
                                  walkeal Level 1

PE movie shot after rendering.jpg

Hope you can see the green line now. I can.

Thanks again for your helpful comments ATR

Video camera is Canon Optura 500

I followed your instructions and , at 99% I could follow the process in the "rendering box" The cursor on the timeline did not move. The orange line changed to green and went about half way along the timeline. When rendering had finished the movie started playing but stopped at 5 seconds.I started it again and it stopped and I re-started in the following sequence. Stpped at 1:47 - 5:26 and then 8 seconds before it got to where the rendering had finished because I had not covered the whole strip. I time stretched and rendered the rest of the videoand again it started to play the whole video. This time it stopped and was re-started in this sequence. 28secs - 1:50 - 3:46 - 4:51 - 5:20 - 9:36 and finished at 12:42. The end of the movie.

Can anything be done about the stopping and starting?

Regards,

• 14. Re: Rendering does not finish
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

walkeal

Thinking about your Timeline Indicator starts and stops all day.

It seems clear to me that they are not associated with any lack of rendering of the Timeline. Although rendering the Timeline content typically helps most issues, it is not a universal fix for all problems associated with non smooth movement of the Timeline Indicator and/or playback smoothness.

You say that your video comes from a Canon Optura 500 which appears to be MiniDV camcorder. Is what you have on that Timeline (title of contents say .avi) dv.avi from the DV data capture firewire from the camera into Premiere Elements 11 Capture Window? Is there any way that the dv.avi is type 1 instead of type 2? That might be the problem.

Can you download the free utility named gspot and run a sample of the .avi through the utility and read what it says in the left column under container...DV AVI Type 1 or Type 2.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

I am still assuming that is dv.avi that you have....so I ask is that dv.avi standard 4:3 or dv.avi standard widescreen 16:9. From one of your screenshots, it looks like dv.avi standard 4:3.

It is a long shot, but please let us rule in or out the possibility of you having dv.avi type 1 which is problematic for Premiere Elements 11 and some other earlier versions.

Thanks.

ATR

• 15. Re: Rendering does not finish
                                      walkeal Level 1

Capture Gspot sample in.JPG

Thanks again fo further data. As you can see I managed the gspot ( I wondered where it was)

Yes, the capture was performed through firewire.

Looks as though you may have hit the problem. It is AVI type 1. This may be part of my long standing problems, although I have only had this camera about 2 years, the other camera was a much older JVC the first of the really small mini DV format cameras.

Yes, the format is 4:3

I am looking forward - with trepidation -  to your reply.

Regards,

• 16. Re: Rendering does not finish
                                        walkeal Level 1

Looking at it again. Maybe it is AVI type 2 but version 1?

• 17. Re: Rendering does not finish
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

walkeal

Looks like you have DV AVI Type 2. So much for that Type 1 vs Type 2 idea.

The following is a gspot readout for DV AVI Type 2 straight from Premiere Elements 11

DV AVI TYPE 2.JPG

This the gspot for the above when converted to DV AVI Type 1 with DVDate.

Type 1.JPG

More later. Will think about this some more.

ATR