7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 5:22 AM by rob day

InDesign Completely Unacceptable

mr.indie

So since my upgrade to ID CS6 I've had nothing but constant crashes. I trashed my preferences multiple times. It did nothng. The only other suggestion from anyone was to uninstall the program. So I finally did, only to find to my dismay that when I try to re-install it through the "handy" Creative Cloud app it tells me that my InDesign is "up to date" with no further option.

So I found the InDesign page (https://creative.adobe.com/products/indesign) which has a "download" button. When I click that it just opens the same "handy" Creative Cloud app that will not let me download it because it thinks I'm "up to date."

I've barely even delved into CS6 and now there's apparently something else called InDesign CC. Guys, I'm a working professional. I don't have time to be updating my GD software every other day. I've got multiple projects that are all behind schedule solely because Adobe has sold me a defective product.

How do I download CS6 again? Otherwise, how do I know if the uninstall even worked? Or is CC now my only option? From the looks of the boards, that's no picnic of an update either. I have work that needs to get done now!

I'm absolutely furious with Adobe. Can anyone in the world help me?

• 1. Re: InDesign Completely Unacceptable
          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

I totally understand your frustration. If it were happening to me I would be off the wall.

It sounds like you need the "Cleaner Tool" that Adobe created to clear out all the gunk that prevents installations to go smoothly.

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Download it and see if it helps.

• 2. Re: InDesign Completely Unacceptable
            BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The first thing you need to do is remember that you are addressing other

users here, not Adobe so please don' take it out on us.

With that out of the way, can you give us some O/S details? Mac? Win? Clean

install? Upgrade? How much RAM?

• 3. Re: InDesign Completely Unacceptable
              rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The only other suggestion from anyone was to uninstall the program. So I finally did, only to find to my dismay that when I try to re-install it through the "handy" Creative Cloud app it tells me that my InDesign is "up to date" with no further option.

To uninstall you have to click the Uninstaller in the application folder—if you trash the app folder rather than running the uninstaller, CC will still see the application as installed. On OSX the uninstallers are aliases to the actual uninstall program, so you haven't actually trashed the uninstaller. They are located in Library:Application Support:Adobe:Uninstall

• 4. Re: InDesign Completely Unacceptable
                mr.indie Level 1

Sorry, what I was mainly looking for this time was just to figure out how to reinstall InDesign after uninstalling it. I just figured that out though.

I've tried getting help with the primary crashing problem here before. I only got two responses (1. trash prefs, 2. uninstall).

But if you'd like to take a crack at it I'd certainly appreciate it.

Me:

iMac with 3.1 Ghz Intel Core i5

24 GB Ram

OS 10.7.5

Creative Cloud recognizes InDesign CS6 as being "up to date"

Ever since upgrading to the Creative Cloud thing (from CS3) InDesign CS6 has been crashing constantly. Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver and Acrobat are just fine.

As far as I can tell, the crashes are arbitrary. It's not only when I'm using a specific tool, it's not only when I'm saving, etc. I might be exporting to PDF, I might be typing, I might be doing anything.

Usually I get the error: "Adobe InDesign is shutting down. A serious error was detected. Please restart InDesign to recover work in any unsaved InDesign document." There are lots of database-related errors ending with (Error code: 0), (Error code: 2) or (Error code: 6).

Sometimes relaunching ID works for an hour, and sometimes for a few minutes, but sometimes it will go into perpetual crash mode, where it crashes on relaunch repeatedly. The only way to get out of this is to shut it down (usually even restart the computer at this point). In these cases all unsaved work is lost and the document can usually no longer be opened without causing an ID crash while attempting to open it. I've lost countless hours of work now, despite saving about every 30 seconds out of pure paranoia.

It happens even when ID is the only program open. And now even trying to run InDesign CS3 as a backup doesn't work. It crashes the same way, when it didn't before this so-called "upgrade."

Thanks for any advice you may have.

• 5. Re: InDesign Completely Unacceptable
                  mr.indie Level 1

I used the Uninstaller. But the Creative Cloud app didn't seem to notice anything had changed. The solution was to log out of the app (I didn't know I was logged in), quit it, and relaunch it. But then CS6 was gone altogether, so I still had to go find it on the Adobe site and download from there. At that point the Creative Cloud app recognized it and was showing the download progress.

BTW, is "Creative Cloud app" what we're supposed to call it? I hate that basically everything is just "Creative Cloud." Everything from the overall subscription service to that app thingy to the latest version of InDesign. Why on earth isn't it at least InDesign CC1? Is it just "InDesign Creative Cloud" forever now? How will I distinguish this version from the new bug-filled update when it comes along in 5 minutes?

For the record, I've used Adobe products professionally for almost 20 years now, with few problems, and I'm suddenly confused about what I've even purchased.

Thanks.

• 6. Re: InDesign Completely Unacceptable
                    peter minneapolis Level 4

Many of us have been stung by various erratic behaviors like crashes that aren't fixed by the usual suggestion of "trashing preferences," or uninstalling and reinstalling. And you're not alone in being confused about what Creative Cloud is, and how to work with it. Certainly, the marketing and naming folks could have done better, and they may not be able to unwind the confusing tangles.

However, thinking back through the many threads on these most-vexing inconsistent crashes, I don't recall having seen any suggestions that failing hardware, RAM in particular, might be a contributing factor. It's possible that over time, RAM may become erratic - either because of an internal defect, or, more likely, because the physical connectors of the RAM chip banks have become corroded or coated with some kind of insulating film, smoke, etc. There are software tools that can test for system defects.

Since your other applications are working fine, as they always have, then it's a fair assumption that your system is working properly. Still, it's worth the effort to use an analyzer tool to determine the state of your system. It's also worth the effort, if it's easy to access the RAM in your computer, to remove and reinsert the RAM chip banks a few times, to clean the contacts.

Just a thought.

HTH

Regards,

Peter

Peter Gold

KnowHow ProServices

mr.indie wrote:

I used the Uninstaller. But the Creative Cloud app didn't seem to notice anything had changed. The solution was to log out of the app (I didn't know I was logged in), quit it, and relaunch it. But then CS6 was gone altogether, so I still had to go find it on the Adobe site and download from there. At that point the Creative Cloud app recognized it and was showing the download progress.

BTW, is "Creative Cloud app" what we're supposed to call it? I hate that basically everything is just "Creative Cloud." Everything from the overall subscription service to that app thingy to the latest version of InDesign. Why on earth isn't it at least InDesign CC1? Is it just "InDesign Creative Cloud" forever now? How will I distinguish this version from the new bug-filled update when it comes along in 5 minutes?

For the record, I've used Adobe products professionally for almost 20 years now, with few problems, and I'm suddenly confused about what I've even purchased.

Thanks.

• 7. Re: InDesign Completely Unacceptable
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've tried getting help with the primary crashing problem here before. I only got two responses (1. trash prefs, 2. uninstall).

There are a couple of other things you could try.

Try running with only the required fonts to eliminate the possibility of a corrupt font

Try running from a Safe Boot—hold down the shift key on startup.

Creating and logging into a new user account.