15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2013 4:40 PM by kikidotca

Accounting for varying values in Data merging

kikidotca

Hi everyone,

I've been asked to create a template for a degree certificate. So far I've created an InDesign document and used data merge to import the data from a .csv file. I've also used GREP styles to resize the name of the degree when it's longer than a certain number of characters. So far so good.

My question has to do with how to account for different categories of certificates. Let me explain. In my spreadsheet I have thre types of certificates A, B, and C. Each category triggers two specific bits of text. So for example:

When Cat = A

the following blurb appears at the top of the certificate:

WHEREAS THE UNIVERSITY OF NOWHERE HAS BEEN EMPOWERED BY ACTS OF THE LEGISLATURE OF MARS TO CONFER DEGREES AND AWARD DIPLOMAS OF THE UNIVERSITY

and the following text appears just before the name of the degree:

HAS BEEN ADMITTED BY THE UNIVERSITY TO THE DEGREE OF

When Cat = B

the following blurb appears at the top of the certificate:

WHEREAS THE UNIVERSITY OF NOWHERE HAS BEEN EMPOWERED BY ACTS OF THE LEGISLATURE OF MARS TO CONFER DEGREES AND AWARD DIPLOMAS OF THE UNIVERSITY

and the following text appears just before the name of the degree:

HAS BEEN AWARDED THE

When Cat = C

there is no blurb at the top of the certificate.

but the following text appears just before the name of the degree:

HAS BEEN AWARDED THE

I first thought of creating IF formulas in Excel but it doesn't work because I don't want the result to appear in the data, I want it to only appear once merged in the InDesign template.

SO THE QUESTION IS:

Is there any way to specify IF THEN values directly in the InDesign document? If not, does anyone have any idea if what I'm being asked to do here is even possible?

Any help or nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated,

Chris