14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2013 12:41 AM by UniYorkBob

Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update

UniYorkBob

Hi everyone,

I've been having this problem for the last month and a half but having the majority of functionaility available I didn't feel I needed to take the time to troubleshoot this until now.

So in a nutshell, I have Adobe Acrobat with Formscentral, so this is the desktop app I'm having problems with, and when I try to update or sign in it comes up with :

"A connection with the formscentral server could not be established.

Please make sure you are connected to the internet and try again.

Note: You might otherwise be connected, but the server or your ISP may be unavailable"

This happens whether I try to check for updates or sign in, and as to network issues. I didn't have the problem for several months until the last month and a half (approx). I'm working at a University so the appropriate firewall and proxy network shin-digs apply, but to my knowledge there haven't been any major infrastructure changes in the last month and a half so I can't see why it has suddenly stopped allowing updates.

Any help is much appreciated in this,

Cheers,

Rob

• 1. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
          jcanepa Adobe Employee

Rob,

Are you able to sign into formscentral.acrobat.com using your web browser?  What Operating System are you using?  Where are you when the failure happens (at the University, at Home, everywhere)?  Is Acrobat able to update?

--

Jeff Canepa

Software Quality Engineer

Adobe Systems, Inc.

jcanepa@adobe.com

• 2. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
            UniYorkBob Level 1

Hi Jeff,

I haven't tried the web-browser version, I can do that today and see how well it connects. I'm using windows 7, and I only use the software at the University as part of my work there. Acrobat checks for updates but says there is nothing to update at the moment.

Cheers,

Rob

• 3. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
              UniYorkBob Level 1

Hi Jeff,

I'll quickly add current version numbers here too Acrobat is at 11.0.3 (and says that no new updates are available) while Formscentral is at 1.0:725032-A.

I can log into the main formscentral online and did so a moment ago to see if I could see it. Worked fine, but still no luck with the desktop application.

Cheers,

Rob

• 4. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                jcanepa Adobe Employee

Your Acrobat version is the latest.  Your FormsCentral version is newer than the one installed by the Acrobat update (1.0:716383-A) but not the latest (1.0:728461-A).  One thing you can try is to remove the updates back to the version that was installed by the Acrobat 11.0.3 updater.  To do this you delete the lib folder located at <Hard Drive>:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\com.adobe.formscentral.FormsCentralForAcrobat\lib.  <Hard Drive> will be the letter of you Hard Drive (C: or D:, etc). 

If you do not see folder AppData in your user folder, select Organize->Folder and search options.  In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.  In the View tab select Show hidden files, folders, and drives.  Commit this change then navigate to the lib folder.

After deleting the folder, launch FormsCentral.  You should be prompted to Update.  Go ahead and try updating (if it works).  If it does not work please let me know.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                  UniYorkBob Level 1

Hi Jeff,

I've gone through all possible routes to find the folder in question but it doesn't appear to exist at all on my system. Perhaps if you could name a file that should be in the folder I might get lucky with a search on that particular file.

To note I have enabled hidden files, and I even checked with through the computer using an administrator login so I could trawl through to make sure nothing was missing (it basically showed all that I've found on my traditional log-in)

As I wont be available over the weekend I wont likely reply until Monday regards this but thank you for all the time you've taken thus far in helping me resolve this.

All the best,

Rob

• 6. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                    jcanepa Adobe Employee

If you do not see the com.adobe.formscentral.FormsCentralForAcrobat folder in the Roaming folder then you are looking in the wrong user folder.  The User folder that is currently being used will appear with a lock on the Folder Icon..

-Jeff

• 7. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                      UniYorkBob Level 1

Hi Jeff,

I checked all profiles including the one I was currently using but to no avail. I'll have a word with IT today to see if I can get a little bit more access to some of the more inaccessible folders today, and that might reveal a little bit more.

Cheers,

Rob

• 8. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                        UniYorkBob Level 1

Hi Jeff,

I've since had IT Services give me full administrative control on my username but that folder you mentioned is no where to be seen. I've checked the roaming profiles of all users on this particular unit and it just doesn't show up.

Any other suggestions for finding this elusive folder? I'm fairly experienced with computer systems so I should be able to handle most suggestions.

Cheers,

Rob

• 9. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                          jcanepa Adobe Employee

Rob,

If finding the folder is proving to be futile there may be another way.  FormsCentral for Acrobat has a repair mode that can be run from the command line.  Here is what you do:

• FIRST, Close FormsCentral for Acrobat desktop application
                          • Open a Command Prompt window and type : "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Acrobat 11.0\FormsCentral\FormsCentralForAcrobat.exe" -repair
                          • This should launch FormsCentral for Acrobat (if it doesn't then launch the application manually)
                          • In FormsCentral For Acrobat go to Help > Check for Updates...
                          • Choose "Update now and restart the application". Then click "OK". Then click "Restart".
                          • This should close and reopen the application (if it doesn't relaunch automatically then launch the application manually)

-Jeff

• 10. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                            UniYorkBob Level 1

Hi Jeff,

I've tried both but sadly to no avail. I'm thinking that it might be at the point where a reinstall might bring things back into line again. But if there are any other suggestions before hand I'll give them a try.

Many thanks for all your help so far Jeff,

Cheers,

Rob

• 11. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                              jcanepa Adobe Employee

Rob,

A new updater for Acrobat just went out (11.0.4) that includes an update to FormsCentral.  Could you please try to see if updating this helps?

• 12. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                                UniYorkBob Level 1

Hi Jeff,

I updated Acrobat without a problem, and when I ran formscentral (after a computer restart) it said it had been updated to the latest version. Sadly it still fails to sign in or check for updates, throwing up the same error as previously mentioned but at least it updated via the acrobat updater so that's something.

Version now reports as 1.0:725509-a

Cheers,

Rob

• 13. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                                  jcanepa Adobe Employee

Rob,

At least something is working correctly (the Acrobat Updater).  Is you computer by chance a laptop?  What I would like to propose is that you try to update/sign in to the FormsCentral app from a network other than the University network.  Is that possible?  If not, then I would like to propose a deskop conference session using Adobe Connect.  You would be able to share your desktop with me and perhaps I could "see" something that could be fixed.

As an aside, do you happen to have a network proxy application like Fiddler or Charles on your machine?  This would help greatly in trying to figure out what is wrong.  These applications monitor all of the network traffic that your computer gets/sends and might be able to help figure out what is wrong with your connection to FormsCentral.  Let me know.

-Jeff

• 14. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                                    UniYorkBob Level 1

Hi Jeff,

Firstly my apologies for the slow reply, bit snowed under this week with a host of various projects all needing attention. In terms of the computer, I'm afraid its a desktop and I'm unable to test it outside of its office environment.

I don't have any network proxy software on the machine at all no, if its something I could download then I could probably get a version on to the computer as I have an administrator account for installation of key Software. Let me know if this would be something worth installing and where I should obtain it.

Cheers,

Robert

• 15. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                                      jcanepa Adobe Employee

Robert,

Fiddler is an http proxy application that is available for free from Telerick at http://fiddler2.com/.  What it does is it sits between your machine and the internet and reports on all outgoing and incomming traffic.  I am hoping it can help us figure out why your computer is not connecting to FormsCentral. 

An alternative application is Charles Proxy (http://www.charlesproxy.com/).  It is a paid application that has a free trial mode.

Either way you should install one and then we should set up a time that we can do a Connect session (Adobe desktop sharing software).  Or if you are feeling adventurous you can take a try at the web proxy software and report back any findings you may have.

--

Jeff Canepa

Software Quality Engineer

Adobe Systems, Inc.

jcanepa@adobe.com

• 16. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                                        UniYorkBob Level 1

Hi Jeff,

I've installed fiddler and taken a session log from it. I'm not sure if this is what you need or a full check through would be more appropriate. I can't attach it so I'll email it direct, just incase it is useful.

I'm away for a while on Annual Leave, but when I return I'd like to take a crack at a meeting to sort it out, if the log doesn't show a clear issue in the interim.

Many thanks again for all your help thus far,

Robert

• 17. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                                          UniYorkBob Level 1

Hi Jeff,

I've returned since being away, and had a chance at testing a copy of formscentral on another PC in the office, and having the exact same issue. This leads me to believe something has changed on our network, and is likely blocking our copies from receiving updates, so I'll talk to IT services about any method of getting our copies unblocked so they can update. I'll let you know what outcome comes from this.

All the best,

Robert

• 18. Re: Formscentral cannot connect to server, and thus update
                                            UniYorkBob Level 1

Hi Jeff,

I had the opportunity to test some new software obtained for a new team here in Human Resources. This software was adobe CS6 suite, which wouldn't allow access to the registration portal, saying it had timed out and that there wasn't a connection available. Much the same as formscentral.

Seeing a similar issue here as I did with formscentral, I decided to have a chat with IT-services security and after a round of testing it was discovered that new changes in the University's proxy server configuration had been blocking the ports used by the update server and registration points for Adobe software.

I've now resolved this with IT services, on a short term solution for individual PC's so thank you very much for all your help, Jeff.

All the best,

Robert