• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Batch delete unused files?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have project that has a large number of unused files. Since there is only the ability to view them in RoboHelp, I was wondering if anyone found a better way to delete them other than selecting and deleting them piecemeal in Windows Explorer?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

For removing unused images, see: wvanweelden.eu/product/image-cleanup (free script)

What other file types would you like to delete? It would be pretty siple to create a script to remove all unused files (that is: files that are not part of the RoboHelp project.) Of course, if a topic is part of the project, but not used in TOC/IDX/other topics, etc. it is still used.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not really. The problem here is that the files that would need to be deleted would differ each time. That would be hard to automate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really only need to do it once. I'm thinking, RoboHelp generates a list and how do i delete everything on that current list. Mostly images. Seems so simple.

Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Colum but I don't think it should be too difficult for Adobe to make it possible to delete the files that are not used. They produce a report listing them plus the FPJ knows what is in a directory that is used so conversely the rest are not used.

It would require a new dialog so that users can uncheck specific files that whilst not used the author does not want deleted.

I had this same thought today when trashing a whole bunch of files!

Angelo, please follow this link.

http://www.Adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter, I agree with you completely. It seems bizarre to have to go into Windows Explorer to delete files from my project. I submitted an enhancement request for this feature.

Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2013 Sep 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with everyone here. The question was, has anyone found a better way to delete the unused files. They haven't. That said, an enhancement request is the way forward. Hopefully if enough of us do the same as Angelo, Adobe will take action 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For removing unused images, see: wvanweelden.eu/product/image-cleanup (free script)

What other file types would you like to delete? It would be pretty siple to create a script to remove all unused files (that is: files that are not part of the RoboHelp project.) Of course, if a topic is part of the project, but not used in TOC/IDX/other topics, etc. it is still used.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Willam,

The bulk of the files I need to remove are image files, so this script is exactly what I need! Just downloaded it. Thanks so much for your help.

Best,

Angelo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Angelo,

Could you please share the script here, I visited the site but the link is broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now at https://www.helpessentials.com/product/image-cleanup/

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Peter, appreciate the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp