9 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2013 5:13 AM by Steve Grisetti

can not upload video to Premiere Elements 11. Freezes

robbee100

I have Premiere Elements 11. When I uploaded a video using get file for the first time (mpg 5 gb) the thumb nail shows up as an hour glass and the mouse pointer turns to a revloving circle mean that it's doing something. This goes on for 30+min. I shut it down and restarted and the mouse pointer is back to normal however the thumb nail is still an hour glass. When I right click on the thumb nail and select get thumb nail the mouse pointer turns back to a revolvig circle and does not stop. Why isn't the video loading and why is it freezing?

• 1. Re: can not upload video to Premiere Elements 11. Freezes
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

When you say "upload", do you mean when you try to import a video into a project?

If so, what model of camcorder is this video coming from and what resolution is it? How did you get it from the camcorder to your computer?

A 5 gb MPEG is a pretty large file. Nearly half an hour of video, right?

Also, it might be helpful if you advised us what operating system you're using, what processor you have and how much RAM you have installed as well as how much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive.

• 2. Re: can not upload video to Premiere Elements 11. Freezes
            robbee100 Level 1

Yes import.

The Video was made with a Sony Camcorder DCR-SR47 HDD and the video was imported to my compute using the Sony software. 

Yes the video is approx 45 min in length.  Wedding. 

I'm using Windows Vista on an HP Pavillion Elite m9250f PC

8 gb ram

Intel core 2 quad processor Q6700

i just cleaned up space on my HD.  I will have to defrag. 

Where does Premiere Elements store the video when importing to the organizer?  Does it duplicate the file or does it use the original and edits the original?

Do I have to go into the PE11 folder to delete and start over?

• 3. Re: can not upload video to Premiere Elements 11. Freezes
              the_wine_snob Level 9

For your last question, both PrE and the Organizer ONLY link to the file, where it is stored on your HDD. Neither will Duplicate, or Move that file - just create an XML link to its location. Now, in Organizer, one CAN perform various functions with a file. It has some of the functions that Windows Explorer has, but when a file is Imported, it's just a link.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: can not upload video to Premiere Elements 11. Freezes
                robbee100 Level 1

HI Bill, so when I edit the video using PE 11 does it alter the original video or does it create a new video file of that video?

• 5. Re: can not upload video to Premiere Elements 11. Freezes
                  robbee100 Level 1

HI again Bill,

Also when  I delete the file from the organizier, Right click delete file, it prompts a window that says would you like to delete it from your hard drive, does this mean it will also erase the original file if seleted?

Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: can not upload video to Premiere Elements 11. Freezes
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

No, PrE does not alter the original Video file.

Basically this is what happens:

1. Imported file is linked via XML (the PREL, or Project file, is just an XML database) to the absolute Path, of the file. Data is read from that file, and PrE then uses that data to create what we see in the Timeline, and then in the Program Monitor for playback. Depending on the file, from which the data is extracted, PrE might, or might no, need to do some internal conversion, before getting the Clip (really a "proxy" of that file), onto the Timeline.
                    2. Then, one edits the Timeline. During this phase, more XML code is written. This is in the form of "instructions," that will come into play for playback, and then will be used, when one outputs the Timeline to an new AV file.
                    3. Durning output, PrE reads any data from the original file, in its location, from when it was Imported. It then reads those instructions, and the instructions from the output choices.
                    4. PrE then writes a new AV file, using the data from the original, plus any, and all, instructions. The original remains untouched.

PrE is a non-destructive editior, meaning that the original file is just read from, and not written to, or over. For more info on the PREL Project files, plus some background info on Save, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/3392837#3392837

I do not want to get too far from the problem that you and Steve G are working on, but wanted to give you background on a few of your other questions.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: can not upload video to Premiere Elements 11. Freezes
                      robbee100 Level 1

Hi Steve, Here is an update.  I'm still having the same original issue. I've defragmented the hard drive.  I triped to import a smaller video clip (49 MB) from the same Sony camera amd the when importing using the Organizer in Premiere Elements 11. The thumb nail first comes up with an hour glass in the thumb nail.  When I right click and select update thumb nail the mouse pointer turns into a revolving circle and does not stop and the program freezes. 

I'm using Windows Vista on an HP Pavillion Elite m9250f PC

8 gb ram

Intel core 2 quad processor Q6700

Video made on a Sony Camcorder DCR-SR47 HDD.

Why is the program freezing and not allowing me to import?  Should I uninstall the program and then reinstall it?

Thanks.

• 9. Re: can not upload video to Premiere Elements 11. Freezes
                        Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It's hard to say without actually studying your system. it may be a maintenance issue (or a Vista issue!) or it could be malware or a conflict with another program.

Meantime, I assume you've manually gone to Windows Update and enabled hidden updates and manually downloaded ALL (even non-critical) updates for your operating system. I also assume you've run Disk Cleanup and the Disk Defragmenter and cleared off at least 100 gig of free, clean, defragmented space on your hard drive. And that you've got the latest version of Quicktime from Apple.com.

Is that the case?