9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2017 9:03 AM by nutellacrepe123

Can I import Mac alias files into Premiere Pro CC?

RFvidprod

I am trying to keep my folder structure clean and organized, and am using alias files to gather miscellaneous B-roll video files into a new project folder without removing them from their permenant location and without creating duplicates. Alias files on a mac are basically shortcuts to the original file. FCP 7 and FCP X will import these alias files with no problems, but when I try to import them into Premiere Pro, it says they are unsupported file types. Is there any way to make this work?

• 1. Re: Can I import Mac alias files into Premiere Pro CC?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

You may need to make the copies.

On a philosophical note, what would be the purpose of using alias files here?  Generally speaking, the point of copying to another folder before import is for archive purposes, so that entire folder gets archived for a potential rebuild later on.  But you can't archive with aliases because if the original ever moved, you'd not be able to rebuild.  You need the real thing, so...you need a copy.  Or, you just don't worry about where the file is and use it from it's original location.

• 2. Re: Can I import Mac alias files into Premiere Pro CC?
            RFvidprod Level 1

Thanks, I was prepared to hear that I would have to make a copy. One note though, is that when i import the alias file into a Final Cut Pro project, it automatically links to the original permanent file location, so if the alias gets deleted, it doesn't matter becuase it is linked to the original.

To answer your question, though, the idea for using alias files is to keep the server clean, so that multiple video editors don't keep copying the same files multiple times into their project folders when they start a new project, and then no one goes back and cleans it up, so you end up with Terabytes of duplicate files on the server. I guess the other option is to train everyone to hunt for the original files themselves and import from that location instead of their own project folders.

• 3. Re: Can I import Mac alias files into Premiere Pro CC?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

when i import the alias file into a Final Cut Pro project, it automatically links to the original permanent file location

Then I would ask what's the point of making the alias to begin with?  Just skip that step and use from the original location.

I guess the other option is to train everyone to hunt for the original files themselves and import from that location instead of their own project folders.

That would make more sense if you're not going to be archiving the project folders.

• 4. Re: Can I import Mac alias files into Premiere Pro CC?
                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Hi RFvidprod,

I am able to import aliases. Trash your prefs and try again.

Best,

Kevin

• 5. Re: Can I import Mac alias files into Premiere Pro CC?
                  RFvidprod Level 1

Thanks Kevin,

I trashed the prefs by holding down Shift+Option at startup, which cleared out recent projects list, but when I go to File>Import, I still get the error "Unsupported format or damaged file" when I choose an alias .mov file.

• 6. Re: Can I import Mac alias files into Premiere Pro CC?
                    Sam Hakes

I was having this problem with aliases when I tried to drag them from the mac finder into the project window. If I use the Adobe Media Browser inside of Premiere I have no problem!

• 7. Re: Can I import Mac alias files into Premiere Pro CC?
                      Flexigav Level 1

One advantage of linking to aliases of assets is that if many projects link to the same alias and the physical media file is inadvertently moved, then it should just be a simple matter of relinking the single alias back to the physical media file to re-establish the link, thus mitigating the problem of opening many project managers and using their relinking methods to re-establish links.

However in my experimenting, I found project manager apps like Adobe Prelude and possibly Premiere pro, just used the link information of the alias to establish their own direct links. So although my objective would have been a great time saver, I was unable to pull it off.

Sorry I can't provide any solutions to the problem of Premiere pro not recognising alias files, but knowing if you can get it to work, it may just use the alias link data to make its own direct links may make this a fruitless exercise.

• 8. Re: Can I import Mac alias files into Premiere Pro CC?
                        Flexigav Level 1

I have found linking to an alias is still useful, even though Premiere Pro will use the alias only to establish its own link to the media files. If Premiere Pro losses the links, just ensure the original alias's still link to the original files and relink Premiere Pro to the alias's. Premier Pro should then use the alias link info to reestablish its own links.

The only advantage of all this is if several applications share the same physical media files. They can all be relinked to the location of the alias's and that might not require so much drilling down into a complex library system.

• 9. Re: Can I import Mac alias files into Premiere Pro CC?
                          nutellacrepe123

Using the Media Browser instead of dragging directly worked for me, also. Premiere Pro does link to the "original" file, not to the alias. That's fine for what I need.