6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2013 11:39 AM by Peter Spier

Calendar spreads

novafox

I was supplied files for an 11x8.5 calendar in InDesign CS6. In the pages panel it shows the pages as spreads side by side (22x8.5) but the preview shows the pages stacked one on top of another as they would appear in a calendar (11x17). I can't figure out how they did that. Please help. Screen shot included.Screen Shot 2013-09-04 at 12.48.07 PM.png

• 1. Re: Calendar spreads
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In the screen shot it looks like the page views were rotated individually and a non-facing docuemnt has been set to disallow shuffling so the pages can be viewed as a psread, but I'd do it slightly differently.

I'd set up 11 x 17 facing pages, portrait orientation, then select all the pages in the panel and uncheck Allow Selected Spreads to Shuffle from the flyout menu, then finally rotate the spread view 90 degrees clockwise.

• 2. Re: Calendar spreads
            novafox Level 1

If I select both pages and check Allow Selected Spreads to Shuffle, the pages appear as individual pages. Then if I select both pages, uncheck Allow Spreads to Shuffle, and then try to put them together, they only appear side-by-side and not stacked. At this point I can't get them back the way they were. Would there be some kind of plug in that does this?

• 3. Re: Calendar spreads

I don't really have enough info from what you've told me to know how this is set up. If you are not allowing the spreads to shuffle you should be able to drag two pages together. If the pages are rotated 90 degrees they should appear stacked.

I don't see the icon for rotated spreads in the screen shot, so I have no way of knowing if they are rotated and the icon is just turned off, or if they were not rotated and the Page tool was used to move one above the other (another way to do this, but I NEVER use the page tool in my work).

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Calendar spreads

And someplace I misse thatyouare setting up 8.5 x 11, not 11 x 17, so I would personally set up letter-size portrait pages, disallow shuffling and rotate as previously described, but you can set up as non-facing, lanscape (which seems to be it from the screen cap) and disallow shuffling, then use the page tool.

• 5. Re: Calendar spreads
                  novafox Level 1

The pages were set up as letter landscape. There was nothing to indicate the pages were rotated. I think they did use the Page tool though like you said. I added 2 more pages as spreads (22x8.5) and then I used the Page tool to move them so one was above the other. I've never seen that before and like you said, I would never use it or do it that way, but I can see the advantages. I've set up hundreds of calendars over the years and usually set them up as 11x17. I'll have to do some tests with the Page tool.

Thanks Peter

• 6. Re: Calendar spreads

To my mind, the 8.5 x 11 portrait facing pages and rotated method has a LOT of advantages if it's going to press and binds in the center.