9 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2013 1:38 AM by hoerl RSS

mirror an image map?

Hi, is it possible to mirror an image map?

• 1. Re: mirror an image map?
          pziecina Community Member

In that classic type of answer that no one wishes to hear, yes it is possible but no it is not possible, (easily) x-browser.

For webkit browsers use the propriety box-reflect property, (not a W3C spec) https://www.webkit.org/blog/182/css-reflections/

For IE10 and Firefox, (and webkit browser) you could use css transitions, transforms, (with css animation if you wish) setting the backface-visability http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-css3-transforms-20120911/

For IE11 and webkit browsers, (latter this year) you also have the css filters option - http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-filter-effects-20130523/

You will notice that there is as yet nothing for IE9 or below, this is because the effect can only be achieved using an IEFilter, using a combination of the flipV/H filters - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms532847%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

There are many problems for the unwary in using IEFilter, so unless you already have a good understanding of them, they are not to be recommended.

• 2. Re: mirror an image map?
            hoerl Community Member

Hi there,

thank you very much for your so detailed and profound answer!

But I guess you meant it too good to me!

In this case I am completely overstrained.

Maybe I put my question not clear enough, sorry about that!

• 3. Re: mirror an image map?
              hoerl Community Member

When I make a path in Dreamweaver to mark a certain area, could I then mirror that path = image map or copy it onto another picture and there mirror it afterward?

We are only talking about working in the Dreamweaver app itself and not about the consequences watching then in browsers.

If you hat any further input I would be more then grateful.

Thanks a lot in advance!

• 4. Re: mirror an image map?
                John Waller MVP

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean by "mirror an image map".

Can you please explain simply and clearly?

• 5. Re: mirror an image map?
                  hoerl Community Member

well, maybe I use the wrong English word for it.

Sorry I am Austrian ... ;-)

• 6. Re: mirror an image map?
                    hoerl Community Member

I'll search for another word ...

mom pls ...

• 7. Re: mirror an image map?
                      hoerl Community Member

Maybe it is better to say "reflect"?

Normally I am working in Photoshop, create paths and sometime reflect these paths on the vertical or on the horizontal ...

The same I would like to do in Dreemweaver:

I create a path and therewith a certain image map and then I would like to use this image map but just reflected/mirrored ...

Did I get my question across now?

THANK YOU for your patience!

• 8. Re: mirror an image map?
                        pziecina Community Member

Don't worry about writing in English, as even though I can speak and read German, my written German is not as good as your written English.

There is no function in dreamweaver that will reflect the image map co-ordinates for you. The only possible method I can think of to do this 'automatically,' is to write a javascript function that copies the image map co-ordinates into an array, reverses the array, then re-writes the co-ordinates in reverse order.

Depending on how complexed your image map is, and/or how often this function would be used, would decide if it is worth the time and effort in writing the required javascript code.

The simplest solution, (if possible) is to reverse the co-ordinates manually.

• 9. Re: mirror an image map?
                          hoerl Community Member

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!

I wish you a pleasant day and all the best!

cheers, sigi