Adobe AIR Beta Channel Update
This beta release provides access to the latest AIR runtime and SDK (with compiler) for Windows, Mac OS, iOS and Android.
Below are some of the key features and benefits of AIR 3.9. Please see our release notes for full details.
Mobile Workers (concurrency) for Android - BETA – Our hugely popular desktop feature, AIR Workers, is now making its debut on mobile! We have added support on Android devices so that you will be able to execute code in the background without interrupting your application’s main code. Your UI will remain responsive, enhancing the user experience. We haven’t forgotten about iOS! Look for news on iOS workers in an upcoming release (NOTE: this feature will undergo an extended beta period).
Mobile Support for Background Execution in “Direct” Render Mode – AIR now supports background execution of code on iOS and Android when render mode is set to “direct”. This will allow your applications to perform tasks such as audio playback even when invisible to the user. Due to power and CPU considerations, we recommend reviewing our release notes for additional details and guidance.
Mac OS 10.9 Support – We have tested against the latest developer releases of OS X 10.9 and are making sure that your applications support the latest technologies such as “App Nap”.
XXHDPI Icon Support – With this feature we have added support for beautiful, high resolution icons on devices such as the Nexus 10.
The following behaviors will be modified in Safari 6.1 and higher in Safe Mode:
- AIR Badge Installs - AIR Badge Installer will not launch an installer when running Safari 7 in Safe Mode. Users will instead see a dialog with a link to more details and workarounds on an Adobe website.
- LocalConnection - When a LocalConnection is constructed from a SWF hosted in Safe Mode, it may only establish a connection with other SWFs also hosted in Safe Mode. If a LocalConnection is constructed from a tab with Safe Mode disabled, it will not be able to communicate with a SWF in a Safe Mode tab.
- Developers can detect whether or not a SWF is running in Safe Mode by checking the Boolean ProductManager.isAllowed(). (This is currently unofficial, and it's possible that we may alter it during the API review process.)
- 3622405: [iOS7] iOS7 specific icons are not yet supported.
- 3621111: [Android] Cannot load files asynchronously in StageWebView.
- 3616999: [iOS7] On changing AudioPlayback mode from Media to voice dialog comes up asking permission for accessing Microphone.
- 3616981: [iOS] Sound gets stop on clicking Power button even when UIBackground tag value set to Audio in application.xml
- AIR SDK build compiled with iOS 7 Beta SDK is coming soon.
- 3613819: [iOS7] On using Sound.play app asks permission for accessing the Microphone even when microphone API is not used in the app.
About the Beta Channel
If you would like real-time notification for announcements related to the AIR Beta Channel, please subscribe to our Twitter feed @FlashPlayerBeta, or follow the Flash Runtime Announcements forums by choosing "Follow this forum" from the right-hand menu on the Forums page.
You can find instructions for getting started with this release here: AIR Labs Page
We encourage you to let us know what you think on our AIR Labs Forum