6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 9, 2013 6:09 PM by IamPhaedrus RSS

Keyframed lens flare across multiple clips in the timeline?

IamPhaedrus

How can  I apply a keyframed lens flare that continues across multiple clips in my timeline?

Using keyframes I am trying to have a lens flare travel across several clips in my timeline as one contiunes movement.

Back in the day (before elements) i could do this in Premiere using something called virtual clips (I think).

Thanking you in adavance for any help on this or "virtual clips"

• 1. Re: Keyframed lens flare across multiple clips in the timeline?
          Steve Grisetti MVP

There is no way that I can think of to add a blank video clip above the rest of your movie and add the effect to it. (I tried it with a title, and that didn't work.) So I don't think there's an easy way to do this.

You'll need to create a series of animations -- one on each clip, each one taking over where the last one left off. It's probably not going to be an easy task.

• 2. Re: Keyframed lens flare across multiple clips in the timeline?
            the_wine_snob Community Member

Welcome to the forum.

Premiere Pro allows for Transparent Video (think the opposite of Black Video, in both PrPro and PrE), but PrE does not have that feature. You are probably thinking of Sub-Clips, also not available directly in PrE.

Steve's method will work, but here is another to consider:

Place the WAB (Work Area Bar) over those particular contiguous Clips, and then Publish+Share (for PrE 11, or Share for PrE 7 - 10), and export those contiguous Clips to an AV file. The choice of Publish+Share settings will depend on what you have for your Source Footage, and what your Project's Preset is. If you are working with, say AVCHD, then doing the Publish+Share to matching H.264 will probably be what you want.* In the Publish+Share dialog, make sure to check Work Area, to limit that to JUST the area defined by the WAB. Import that output file into your Project, and replace those edited Clips with it. Apply your Keyframed Lens Flare to that Clip. That is basically a manual Sub-Clip, but with a few more steps, than in PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt

* For some other options on the output settings, see this article: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4556586#4556586

• 3. Re: Keyframed lens flare across multiple clips in the timeline?
              nealeh Community Member

Would a transparent still stretched above the clips work (currently reinstalling Windows so cannot check)?

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Keyframed lens flare across multiple clips in the timeline?
                Steve Grisetti MVP

That's an interesting idea, Neale! Create a blank, backgroundless PSD file in Photoshop Elements and then use that as your null video.

• 5. Re: Keyframed lens flare across multiple clips in the timeline?
                  IamPhaedrus Community Member

Thank you all very much.

I ended up creating a black matte (Project/New Item/Color Matte[black] and placing that on the upper video track.

I applied a "Luma key" effect 9whatever that is] and proceeded to create my lens flares...which were applied continuously against all the clips below....Just what i wanted.

I'm not in a position to say if this was the best course of action for quality etc. [any thoughts?]...but it got the job done. 

I'll certainly try, in the future, a few of the option you've suggested as well , [especilly the transparent still] .

Again thank you.

• 6. Re: Keyframed lens flare across multiple clips in the timeline?
                    IamPhaedrus Community Member

just a follow up.

Creating a color matte(black) keying with a Luma key worked in the preview but when i render the something is wriong with the lens flare(s)...they aren't following the path I see them follow in the preview.(odd).  It's like the color matte is one resolution and the underlying clips are another...but I don;t see that.

I also tried the transparent background photoshop file...No lens flares appear.

I guess I'll try Steve's suggestion with the export/import routine.

Cheers