18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 24, 2013 5:45 AM by archie29

GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export

rickmtl79

Hopefully someone can help me out.

I used to have a crappy old graphic card and recently upgraded to a EVGA GTX 680 4GB (CLASSIFIED model).

My systems specs are:

i7 930 @ 2.8Mhz

EVGA GTX 680 4GB

Win 7 64 Ultimate

24GB DDR3

PP CS6 (6.0.3) installed on SSD drive

Scratch disk - Source/Export are seperate drives (both 3TB USB 3.0 drives)

I am currently editing a music video with DSLR 1080p footage. At most, 2 layers of footage, basic transitions and some sharpening/color correction layers. Nothing that my old card was fussy about.

The MPE (GPU CUDA acceleration) is enabled in Premiere Pro. I do see a difference when building my clips, the timeline stays mostly yellow instead of completely red. My CPU isn't freaking out as it used to with my old card, so I do see a performance increase at that level.  However, if I try to render my timeline or export, it takes so long! To export my 3 minute music video clip, I takes approx. 43 minutes (in 720p).

I know each video project is unique, but similar projects processed with my old card appeared to be exported/rendered faster than with my new card.

What am I doing wrong? Any obvious pointers?

Any help/tips will be appreciated.

Thank you so much!

• 1. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Nothing stands out.  Do you have Maximum Render Quality checked in the Export Settings?  If so, turn that off.  You don't need it with GPU acceleration.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
            rickmtl79 Level 1

I just checked off Maximum Render Quality and tried re-exporting my project.

Estimated time to export my 3min clip as per the screen pop up 1h 15mins.  WTH?

Frame blending is also checked off.

• 3. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Well, my only other guess is that you may have some effects which are slowing things down, like Colorista or Looks.

• 4. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
                rickmtl79 Level 1

Good point. I did color correct with Colorista II.

I started removing each effect I had on the adjustment layer which was:

• Colorista II
                • Neat Video - Noise Removal
                • Unsharp mask
                • Contrast

If I remove ALL of them, the video export in 1 minute and 9 secs. The one that seems to eat up the most time is Neat Video...

Interesting. Now, off to read more about these plugins.

• 5. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
                  SAFEHARBOR11 Most Valuable Participant

DeNoisers are notoriously slow and processing-intensive. I use Red Giant DeNoiser II and it takes overnight for short videos! Nice results, but not fast.

Jeff Pulera

• 6. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
                    rickmtl79 Level 1

so even with a powerful GTX 680 4GB these rather basic video edits (color correction/de-noiser) will take that much time?

sigh.

• 8. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export

The render time has almost nothing to do with the "edits". Take a single 5-minute clip all by itself, no editing or other effects, and export as a test. Now add DeNoiser and export again with same settings. That will tell you how much time DeNoiser takes. Render times will increase exponentially ;-)

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

• 9. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
                        Level 4

=======

so even with a powerful GTX 680 4GB these rather basic video edits (color correction/de-noiser) will take that much time?

=======

Todd has some stuff he wrote in help files about this stuff... spread out over various areas of forums ( ae, pre pro, etc. ).. and basically what you're getting out of cuda with cool card is very good and fast ( using graph card ram, gpu etc ). So really ...it does make editing faster and smoother etc...

BUT when you get to the export stage you're using the CPU , not the GPU anymore...although I think you can play around with pre rendering stuff and maybe then use 'rendered' files ...and gain a fraction of time on export.. I'm not experienced much with this at all...so what I'm saying is based on what I've read over the last year or so here in the forums etc.

What you call " basic" and simple really isn't so basic and simple in terms of what the program(s) is doing.. as the stuff has is really math intensive ( cpu is working it's little heart out )...and you are getting the product..but it's gonna take the time it takes using what it can use....

sorry, but there's no magic solution to making changes and then switching from gpu to cpu final export etc.

I just bought a custom made computer I call the " pig " ( it is HUGE )..and working with mov h264 native ( which is great cause before that had to be converted to avi etc ).. in the long run I save ton of time editing native with pig, but exports are slow even with pig...its fact of life , but cs6 and pig is doing well with it so far...

• 10. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

when you get to the export stage you're using the CPU , not the GPU anymore

That's not entirely correct.  Accelerated effects, scaling, blending modes, frame rate differences, etc. can all be processed on the GPU, both during playback and export.  Third-party effects, however, are not so accelerated.

• 11. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
                            rickmtl79 Level 1

that's true as I see quite a relief on my CPU usage when exporting my clips. Prior to my GTX680, I could not even use the PC as Premiere Pro was exporting my projects. CPU was maxed out at 100%... with the new GTX 680, CPU peaks at 45% max.

• 12. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
                              Level 4

I'm very happy to hear that..

some stuff goes faster through gpu and ram on graphics card, and some stuff is cpu.. and apparently it's a mix depending on what's applied to the " edit "...and probably the type of export as well....

faster is better and God is in His heaven , the Snail is on the leaf...and all is well....thanks you guys.. I am happy as a clam

• 13. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
                                rickmtl79 Level 1

LOLLL!!!

When I got my credit card out for that card - I was secretely hoping to see a DRASTIC difference. At least, I can use my computer now when clips are being exported, so a little productivity gain there! ;-)

• 14. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
                                  Level 4

ACK !  use pc while exporting ?? !!!!   OMG !

hehe..

I don't do that but it's cause I'm a scaredy cat...and my computer ( called " the pig " cause it's HUGE ) is custom thing...and when me and tech guy at store yapped about this stuff he said things about my os ( win 7 pro ) and win 8, and the 'real' deal with multithreading use ( all cores ) and so much complex stuff... that I thought " hmmm, no matter what the pig does I will continue to just do one thing at a time with it "...

Like, what if in the middle of doing something besides export the other program wants to use something that interupts your nice multithreading thing...and now the cpu is sorta confused about the pace it had going ( yappin with drives ( source, os, export etc ) )...and now your FSB says, " hey , whats going on ?? " and stuff like that ??

I personally don't do anything while exporting...except maybe go read a book or whatever...

good luck !

happy editing !

• 15. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export

Use PC while exporting? Years ago, I would agree that the machine was busy and should not be bothered. With my Core i7 Windows 7 64-bit machine though, I've found that while capturing via 1394, or exporting a file from AME, I can check email, browse the web, do whatever I please and it just chugs along in the background and I've NEVER had a fault from doing this. The amount of processing power needed to check email or web browse is miniscule.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

• 16. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
                                      Keith Moreau Level 1

If you are using Adobe Media Encoder to export, rather than directly from Premiere Pro, AME it isn't CUDA may not be enabled with your card by default. I experienced this problem as well. If it's not there, you need to add your card to the 'supported' cuda text file. Just FYI in case this is the issue.

• 17. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
                                        rickmtl79 Level 1

Good pointer Keith, I know AME isn't recommended in this case... I was not using AME to export, but rather PP directly.

I know there are several replies in this thread, but it was determined that the extreme long export time was due to the following plugins:

Colorista II + Neat Video denoiser

Without these 2 plugins, I was able to export the video in just a few minutes!

• 18. Re: GTX 680 4GB and slow render/export
                                          archie29 Level 1

Hi Rick,

I am also feeling the pinch, I have only been creating 2-10 minute videos but exporting my first corpoarate interview (around 1:45:00)
                                          Even after 22 hours its at 95%. I am using NEAT video in ONLY 10% of the clips. I have an adjustment layer on top with 3-way color corrector.
                                          Although I would also guess taht my problem is these plugins but in my resource monitor
                                          - my 3930K i7 is only being used 10-20%

- my RAM is only used 50% , GPU is 0%

- DIsk I/O is also 10%

Shouldn't one of these (especially the CPU) be maxing out at 100%

Please let me know if you found something (some article or whitepaper or tutorial) to help me understand how exports work.ine

I have a deadline for this video & I hope this export comes out perfect becuase if not, I will have to re-encode and its a scary thought - will have to call-in sick