29 Replies Latest reply on Jan 17, 2008 1:37 PM by JenNes

New version of Director

mikem75
      The director faq now says the new release will be announced in February. Do I hear March .... going once, going twice .... sold!
        • 1. Re: New version of Director
          Steveorevo
          This will go on indefinately... what are the alternatives?
          • 2. Re: New version of Director
            Mikael(swe)
            And in March, it will be announced in April...

Come on, give us the new version! I really need that unicode stuff...
            • 3. Re: New version of Director
              Mouseclick Multimedia
              Where? I can't find it... I'm hoping they give a glance at some new features that will be implemented! Although, I probably shouldn't be hoping too much I guess.

So how about our Director Evangelist?
              Mr Partridge, could you find it in your heart to shed a liiiiittle bit more light ??? Pretty please?
              • 5. New version of Director
                BSpero Level 1
                Yeah,
                Adobe continues to insult us and make false promises. I am sure Dean will be on here in a few minutes to defend their slipping timeline. For me, it is less about exactly when, and more about communication and being upfront about the development.

Adobe can't even spend the hour it will take to change the Director product page so that it doesn't suggest that related products are Flash 8 and Fireworks 8. It still touts the compatibility of "Tiger", has a "Whats new in Director MX 2004" and says at the top of the FAQ that Shockwave is the "leading web content player." No one has spent more than 5 minutes on the content of this page in the last 3 or 4 years.

It really upsets me that every week, there are less and less people on this board, and less and less people developing with Director. It is my only choice for a number of applications that I use it for, so the more it suffers, the more worried I get that I'll have to start learning something else that can do what it can. Ugh. I just feel insulted by Adobe.

- B
                • 6. Re: New version of Director
                  thismarty
                  Be fair, guys.

If Director 11 was released in January 2008, or "second half of 2007" or whenever else we've previously been told, and turned out to be not-ready-yet crap, you'd complain about that too. I know I would.

We're all software developers and we all know how hard it is to nail a date down for release, so give Adobe credit for at least sharing a bit, even if it means being embarrassed by slipping the date.

As I see it, slipping dates followed by updated release notes constitute a strong sign that Adobe is working on D11 and taking it seriously. That they aren't spending much time or effort evangelizing or updating old web copy on D10 makes sense. I know I wouldn't.

I'm happy to wait for a new Director that has a future. If nothing else, it gives me more time to make great stuff with Unity. ;-)

• 7. Re: New version of Director
                    tdriley Level 1
                    This doesn't happen with any of their other products. Yes software development is an uncertain business, that is why multi-million dollar companies like Adobe have made a lot of money by reducing this to it's absolute minimum, by using all manner of modern roadmapping and industry analysis. Can you imagine if the Photoshop or Flash community were messed around this badly about the next version of their primary tool? It doesn't happen when Adobe ensures that it doesn't happen - so why is it happening to us?

Of course we'd rather wait longer for a better, longer lasting product but if this is the reason they should tell us!! Really would we all have paid or money for DMX2004 is we had known it would be like this in January 2008?

So, yes software development is an uncertain business, so being involved in that business we need as much accurate info as we can get so we can plan ahead!
                    • 8. Re: New version of Director
                      Level 7
                      Right. "Sorry, your laptop presentation won't be done for your big
                      meeting..."

Nope. Sorry, We're still noodling around with your kiosk. Sorry, not going
                      to make the grand opening.

I don't know about you, but I make my deadlines.

Timm

> We're all software developers and we all know how hard it is to nail a
                      > date
                      > down for release, so give Adobe credit for at least sharing a bit, even if
                      > it
                      > means being embarrassed by slipping the date.
                      >

>

• 9. Re: New version of Director
                        Steveorevo Level 1
                        I give Adobe credit for slipping the date, once, twice. Three times is enough... its vaporware at that point... fourth time and then what do we call it?
                        • 10. Re: New version of Director
                          Level 7
                          BSpero wrote:

> Yeah,
                          > Adobe continues to insult us and make false promises. I am sure Dean will
                          > be on here in a few minutes to defend their slipping timeline....

Did I hear my name mentioned? :)

Hi all. Happy new year.

I won't be defending the changing dates. I've put it directly to the Director
                          Product Management team that the FAQ page is losing credibility with so many date
                          changes and no explanation. There are reasons for the delays but unfortunately
                          these reasons are not communicated to the wider community. I have urged people at
                          the Adobe end to be more open with Director users.

I understand your frustrations. I have them too. I don't think a delay in releasing
                          software is a bad thing if it means a better end product. But, I do believe the
                          community deserves to be told something about why the delay has happened. I will
                          continue to push for better, more transparent communication. Hopefully, soon we
                          will see more of this open dialog.

regards
                          Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant / Director Enthusiast
                          http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                          http://www.multimediacreative.com.au
                          email: d.utian@unsw.edu.au

• 11. Re: New version of Director
                            mikez93
                            I've spent the last 6 months developing a series of enormously complex, video based retail demos using MX 2004. These demos all need to run on all flavors of Vista. MX 2004 has fared quite well given the requirements. I can tell you, getting anything to run smoothly on Vista is a serious challenge and, given how deeply Director hooks into the OS, and what a moving target Vista is, Adobe has their work cut out for them.

I'm defiantly looking forward to the new release, but if it's not rock solid on Vista it will be of no use to me.
                            • 12. Re: New version of Director
                              Romeo.Marian
                              quote:

Originally posted by: mikez93
                              I can tell you, getting anything to run smoothly on Vista is a serious challenge and, given how deeply Director hooks into the OS, and what a moving target Vista is, Adobe has their work cut out for them.

I'm defiantly looking forward to the new release, but if it's not rock solid on Vista it will be of no use to me.

I really doubt about that.
                              Vista is everything you want but not popular.
                              On the top of that, this year is going to to be the 'WinXP-SP3' year.
                              • 13. Re: New version of Director
                                MY2007
                                Director is still being used for big national DVD releases.
                                Look no further than the MVI DVD music format. Linkin Park, Rush, Paramore... the list goes on.

There's one for you, Dean. Hurry up D11. I got a lot more MVI's to make and the Mac users are killing me about Rosetta.

-Mark
                                • 14. Re: New version of Director
                                  Level 7
                                  If you go on a job interview, don't mention that you still think Director
                                  could still be used for some things. ONLY mention Director if it's an actual
                                  Director job. It is regarded as highly uncool these days. Which is pretty
                                  sad.

Timm

"mikem75" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                                  news:fm6jnu$bh4$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                  > The director faq now says the new release will be announced in February.
                                  > Do I hear March .... going once, going twice .... sold!

• 15. Re: New version of Director
                                    Wolfgang Herold Level 2
                                    For all the guys blaming Adobe.
                                    Someone must be working.
                                    My Shokwaveplayer updateted today to Version 10.3.024.
                                    Amazing.

Wolfgang
                                    • 16. Re: New version of Director
                                      Level 7

"tr" <ryan.timm@gmail.com> wrote in message
                                      news:fmiq22$soj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                      > If you go on a job interview, don't mention that you still think
                                      > Director could still be used for some things. ONLY mention Director
                                      > if it's an actual Director job. It is regarded as highly uncool
                                      > these days. Which is pretty sad.
                                      >
                                      > Timm

Hi,
                                      cool or uncool is totally not important to me.
                                      Also not to most of my clients, they trust me to get the job done in
                                      an efficient way.
                                      They dont care much about what tools I use, as long as they are happy
                                      with the end results (that is including the price).

It might be different in other fields. I know some people care about
                                      "cool".
                                      If you cant make what you promised in Director, then use a different
                                      tool?

Richard.

• 17. Re: New version of Director
                                        Level 7

>> We're all software developers and we all know how hard it is to
                                        >> nail a
                                        >> date
                                        >> down for release, so give Adobe credit for at least sharing a bit,
                                        >> even if it
                                        >> means being embarrassed by slipping the date.
                                        >>
                                        >
                                        >>
                                        >

news:fm8qug$rmu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                        > Right. "Sorry, your laptop presentation won't be done for your big
                                        > meeting..."
                                        >
                                        > Nope. Sorry, We're still noodling around with your kiosk. Sorry, not
                                        > going to make the grand opening.
                                        >
                                        > I don't know about you, but I make my deadlines.
                                        >
                                        > Timm

Sure Adobe raised expectations, but to say "deadline" is just not
                                        true.
                                        What are you struggling with in the current version? what did you
                                        promiss your customers that you can not handle now?
                                        Nobody even knows what will be in the new version exactly.

Not much of what will be new in the next version of Director will make
                                        a big difference in what you can deliver. So to me it doesnt really
                                        make a difference if the new version will be here soon or not.
                                        I prefer they do it right.

Richard.

• 18. Re: New version of Director
                                          Level 7
                                          I don't care if it's important to you or not. My point is that Director is
                                          considered out of fashion. I didn't say anything about something I promised
                                          that I couldn't deliver. Where I interviewed, I thought Director would have
                                          worked better for what they were doing than Flash and they just rolled their
                                          eyes.

"LOOPING_Richard" <root@localhost.not> wrote in message
                                          news:fmivt1$5kr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                          >
                                          > "tr" <ryan.timm@gmail.com> wrote in message
                                          > news:fmiq22$soj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                          >> If you go on a job interview, don't mention that you still think Director
                                          >> could still be used for some things. ONLY mention Director if it's an
                                          >> actual Director job. It is regarded as highly uncool these days. Which is
                                          >> pretty sad.
                                          >>
                                          >> Timm
                                          >
                                          > Hi,
                                          > cool or uncool is totally not important to me.
                                          > Also not to most of my clients, they trust me to get the job done in an
                                          > efficient way.
                                          > They dont care much about what tools I use, as long as they are happy with
                                          > the end results (that is including the price).
                                          >
                                          > It might be different in other fields. I know some people care about
                                          > "cool".
                                          > If you cant make what you promised in Director, then use a different tool?
                                          >
                                          > Richard.
                                          >
                                          >

• 19. Re: New version of Director
                                            Level 7
                                            I think you are struggling with sarcasm.

> Sure Adobe raised expectations, but to say "deadline" is just not true.
                                            > What are you struggling with in the current version? what did you promiss
                                            > your customers that you can not handle now?
                                            > Nobody even knows what will be in the new version exactly.

>
                                            > Richard.
                                            >
                                            >

• 20. Re: New version of Director
                                              Level 7

news:fmj3sg$a0s$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                              >I think you are struggling with sarcasm.
                                              >
                                              >> Sure Adobe raised expectations, but to say "deadline" is just not
                                              >> true.
                                              >> What are you struggling with in the current version? what did you
                                              >> promiss your customers that you can not handle now?
                                              >> Nobody even knows what will be in the new version exactly.
                                              >
                                              >>
                                              >> Richard.
                                              >>

I dont know.
                                              Maybe explain?

I read your posts again, and they just sound... bitter.

Sarcasm I dont read.

R.

• 21. Re: New version of Director
                                                Chunick Level 3
                                                quote:

Originally posted by: scarroll
                                                I give Adobe credit for slipping the date, once, twice. Three times is enough... its vaporware at that point... fourth time and then what do we call it?

call it 'Duke Nukem Forever'... or were you being rhetorical? ;-)
                                                • 22. Re: New version of Director
                                                  Level 7

> "LOOPING_Richard" <root@localhost.not> wrote in message
                                                  > news:fmivt1$5kr$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                  >>
                                                  >> "tr" <ryan.timm@gmail.com> wrote in message
                                                  >> news:fmiq22$soj$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                  >>> If you go on a job interview, don't mention that you still think
                                                  >>> Director could still be used for some things. ONLY mention
                                                  >>> Director if it's an actual Director job. It is regarded as highly
                                                  >>> uncool these days. Which is pretty sad.
                                                  >>>
                                                  >>> Timm
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Hi,
                                                  >> cool or uncool is totally not important to me.
                                                  >> Also not to most of my clients, they trust me to get the job done
                                                  >> in an efficient way.
                                                  >> They dont care much about what tools I use, as long as they are
                                                  >> happy with the end results (that is including the price).
                                                  >>
                                                  >> It might be different in other fields. I know some people care
                                                  >> about "cool".
                                                  >> If you cant make what you promised in Director, then use a
                                                  >> different tool?
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Richard.
                                                  >>
                                                  >>
                                                  >

news:fmj3oq$9tn$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                                  >I don't care if it's important to you or not. My point is that
                                                  >Director is

Oh, thank you.

> considered out of fashion. I didn't say anything about something I
                                                  > promised that I couldn't deliver. Where I interviewed, I thought
                                                  > Director would have worked better for what they were doing than
                                                  > Flash and they just rolled their eyes.
                                                  >

And who was right?
                                                  If you are looking for Director work, send me a mail.

R.

• 23. Re: New version of Director
                                                    Necromanthus Level 2
                                                    quote:

Originally posted by: Chunick
                                                    quote:

Originally posted by: scarroll

call it 'Duke Nukem Forever'... or were you being rhetorical? ;-)

3 times is not enough.
                                                    And that's because you have plenty time to play QUAKE 4 ...

• 24. Re: New version of Director
                                                      robotcoder
                                                      I hope it comes out soon.

I am writing an ActionScript 3 game that will need to be housed in a Shockwave file, so I can have proper mouse input. :(
                                                      • 25. Re: New version of Director
                                                        Propellant Level 1
                                                        Still, al lest they're on the forum reassuring us . . . I feel much better now.
                                                        • 26. Re: New version of Director
                                                          theGbus
                                                          It is a bit odd that if i want to find out any information about a new release of director i have to google it, after they have suggested that there will be a new release anounced end of 2007 and i still I cannot find any information about this.
                                                          I'm still very pro director and what it can do as it is. It is tricky selling it into a client even though it can do hardware 3d over flash. It feels a bit like developers are working hard to promote director and use of shockwave, but we are not getting any support back from adobe by them just letting us know whats happening.
                                                          but it does seem like a familiar story to be honest as far as director goes
                                                          • 27. Re: New version of Director
                                                            Level 7
                                                            I was right unfortunately. You and I both know how great Director is and
                                                            could be.
                                                            >>
                                                            >
                                                            > And who was right?
                                                            > If you are looking for Director work, send me a mail.
                                                            >
                                                            > R.
                                                            >
                                                            >
                                                            >

• 28. Re: New version of Director
                                                              Level 7
                                                              I suppose I am mildly but optimistically bitter.

My point was that most the time for my customers, they have a presentation
                                                              which must be done on a certain date, such as a laptop presentation for a
                                                              city council of a large city, or a grand opening of company's huge solar
                                                              array, and screens in their lobby have to show how much energy output is
                                                              going through. No matter how tricky the project I have to be done on time.
                                                              Or make it look like its done ;)

That's putting it more friendly-like.

Cheers,
                                                              Timm

>>
                                                              >>>
                                                              >>> Richard.
                                                              >>>
                                                              >
                                                              > I dont know.
                                                              > Maybe explain?
                                                              >
                                                              > I read your posts again, and they just sound... bitter.
                                                              >
                                                              > Sarcasm I dont read.
                                                              >
                                                              > R.
                                                              >

• 29. Re: New version of Director
                                                                JenNes
                                                                quote:

Originally posted by: theGbus
                                                                It is a bit odd that if i want to find out any information about a new release of director i have to google it, after they have suggested that there will be a new release anounced end of 2007 and i still I cannot find any information about this. ...

Perhabs Allen Partridge - the (mostly new) Director Evangelist - can say something more. He has opened a new blog: http://blogs.adobe.com/shockwaves/.

Best regards
                                                                Jens