12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2013 4:50 PM by Joel Bondoux

testers needed

seriouscodecreator Level 2

Please help me out and visit http://www.animatedhtml.com/lightning/lightning.html and let me know if this video banner ad works for you. The default - lightning.html - autoplays & loops and is designed for PCs using mp4 After Effects created video and inserted into an Edge Animate container. I hacked the page adding this code for mobile users:

<script type="text/javascript">

<!--

if (screen.width <= 699) {

document.location = "lightningwc.html";

}

//-->

</script>

This second page contains controls and no autoplay no loop since they are not supported.

It works on my droid smartphone but I have had reports it does not work on a Samsung (SAMSUNG-SGH-I717) phone. I was wondering how many phones this hack does not work on and if I can tweak this somehow to make it work. I am also looking into using the javascript or server side material available at http://www.hand-interactive.com/detect/mobileesp_demo_javascript.htm which appears to be last updated on June/July 2011.

My objective is to give the best possible experience to PC users and to support mobile users too.

The banner is clickable in some areas to transfer the user to adobe.com and in the rest of area you can right click and have the option to pause the video etc.

Suggestions are welcome and definitely needed. Warning: this ad contains sound - thunder borrowed from NOAA site.

Thanks in advance

Bob

• 1. Re: testers needed
          Joel Bondoux Level 1

Hi Bob,

I notice that the animation runs as a grey box with sound until you refresh the page (F5) and then it loads all the media correctly and plays as desired.  But it doesn't play at all on my Lumia 920 (Windows Phone), just a black box.

Sorry...

• 2. Re: testers needed

Thanks, that is the kind of feedback I need. I wonder how I can fix that "grey box until refresh issue"? Doing something with the Preloader ???

Bob

• 3. Re: testers needed
              resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Had to be reloaded in Chrome because it did not start.

FF was fine.

Safari - split second to load

IE: loaded fine.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: testers needed

Joel,

Re: Lumia 920 and black box - Was it full screen? Did you tap in the center of the screen? Can you see a maximize icon or white square in the lower right hand corner of the screen? What is the URL when you receive the black box? lightning.html or lightningWC.html?? Smartphones should be (i am hoping they are) redirected to lightningwc.html (wc stands for "with controls")

If you go directly to http://www.animatedhtml.com/lightning/lightningwc.html does it play at all? Do you see any video controls - a gray triangle play button in the middle of the screen?

My droid phone can be be maximized and this appears as a black screen and i have to tap on the screen to get the controls so i can play it.

Thanks again for your help

Bob

• 5. Re: testers needed
                  Joel Bondoux Level 1

Hi Bob,

Here's the screenshot from my phone, you can see that the wc version does not load automatically as the resolution of the phone is 1280x768.  But in my experience Edge Animate projects load and run fine on this handset so I'm not sure why we're seeing just a black box.  This is even after a refresh (like we had to do with Chrome).

Cheers,

Joel

wp_ss_20130906_0001.png

• 6. Re: testers needed
                    resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It plays on my iPhone but requires to be clicked like a video.

• 7. Re: testers needed
                      Zaxist Level 4

not working in Chrome Canary, just hear the sound and a gray background, even after refresh, but fine in FF

Zaxist

• 8. Re: testers needed

Joel,

Thank you for trying this out and letting me know your results. I have a lot work to do. I think I have to find out how to get the preloader feature to work.

If you go to http://www.hand-interactive.com/detect/mobileesp_demo_javascript.htm    do you see any items marked as  "Value Found: true"?

There is a video involved and it is my understanding that video will never play automatically on any smartphone. It is to protect against high bandwidth usage. This page - lightning.html - has no controls so it shouldn't work. lightningwc.html has controls that a smartphone user has to click on to make it run.

I liked this ad but the more I get into this the more I think it is not worth it - it is just asking for too much effort from a user/visitor.

Thanks again

Bob

Message was edited by: seriouscodecreator

• 9. Re: testers needed
                          Joel Bondoux Level 1

Hi Bob,

OK, ran the test page (that's a pretty good resource you've found), but sadly no entries come up true.  For my site joelbondoux.net (my first exploration with Edage Animate) I found a nifty php script to detect mobile use, http://mobiledetect.net .  It seems to work perfectly on all devices I've checked, but clearly I don't know if it is able to check everything!

I tested your site again on my phone and clicked on the black box (stupidly I didn't do this before...!).  The animation didn't play, but there was a sudden flash of the animation (but static - not playing) and then it took me to the Adobe Flash download page.  My phone is not teribly flash friendly.

So going to your wc url, this is what I get:

wp_ss_20130907_0001.png

but again the animation doesn't play, there are no obvious controls and clicking on it does nothing.  Sorry!

Cheers,

Joel

• 10. Re: testers needed

Joel,

That is the poster image you are seeing. Thanks for the link to the php mobile detection page.

I am going to try a only  Edge Animate solution with  no sound and see if this works for anyone.

Bob

• 11. Re: testers needed

This http://www.animatedhtml.com/lightningedge/lightningedge.html is the best I can do for now. This works on my smartphone, Does it work on yours? No sound, no video, no third party plugins, just adobe edge animate with a slight assist from after effects.

Feedback and brutal comments sought and welcome.

Thanks for taking the time to visit this page.

Bob

• 12. Re: testers needed
                                Joel Bondoux Level 1

Works perfectly on my Lumia920