2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2013 6:18 AM by LynnARognsvoog

Read out loud isn't following tag structure across multiple pages

LynnARognsvoog

I have an InDesign CC document where the main story falls across several pages. It wraps around a standalone sidebar that fits one page, as well as another sidebar that also jumps to other pages. I set up the element order in the Articles palette, and it looks like the structure is set to read the main story first in its entirety, then move on through the sidebars, each in its entirety.

In Acrobat CC, I set the tab order to use the document structure within Page Thumbnails, and took the other required steps. The accessibility check comes up clean.

However, Read Out Loud reads everything on one page, then moves to the next page. It ignores the InDesign structure. The Acrobat tags window also shows my desired reading order, but it's not being followed.

Is there something else I need to do, or is this reading order just not possible?

• 1. Re: Read out loud isn't following tag structure across multiple pages
          CtDave Level 5

Assistive Technology (AT) uses the PDF's structure tree. Without a well-formed structure tree AT will "see" a PDF as a lump of coal.

What's that got to do with ROL? ROL is *not* AT.  ROL is a nice but simple text to speech feature. ROL parses PDF page content left to right top down for western languages. The PDF does not have to be a tagged PDF for ROL to parse the PDF page content (I've been using it to do that snce Acrobat 8 Pro). In sum - Acrobat / Reader ROL only processes through what is renderable text on the PDF page. PDF elements (tags) exist separately from both the logical structure of a PDF and the PDF's page content (discussed in ISO 32000-1, see 14.8).

So, nothing wrong or broken. ROL is doing what it was designed to do.

Try NVDA if you want to parse the structure tree and have the associated content "spoken" to you. I suspect you'll be pleased.

Be well...

Message was edited by: CtDave

• 2. Re: Read out loud isn't following tag structure across multiple pages
            LynnARognsvoog Level 1

Thanks for your help, CtDave.

I'm producing a publication for a client who has subscribers that need ROL capability for various reasons.

I'll try subterfuge on the documents with interweaving sidebars — exclude the visible versions from ROL, and add them to invisible text boxes at the end of the main document.