• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help needed - Captivate 7 Audio not working in Safari/Chrome in html5

Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I am going slightly mad. For the life of me I can not get the audio to work in either Chrome or Safari (both versions are up to date) on an ipad and android tablet.

I have created a 1 slide project which just consists of a blank slide plus an audio mp3 file I have imported to the slide.  I have turned off all the button click sounds and not scaled the html.

I then publish to html5, uplaod it to my LMS and try and view it.  Works fine in IE on a desktop. But when I try and view it in Chrome and Safari there's no audio. In Chrome it seems to default to mute, so I unmute it but still nothing,  In Safari the mute button is not even there, even through it is enabled in the skin.

Anyone have any ideas as it's driving me mad?  Unfortunate thing is I downloaded Articulate storyline and after 10 mins I had uploaded a html 5 zip file and it working great on the ipad, with audio.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 06, 2013 Sep 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to theInternet's Wild West, HTML5.

Check this Adobe page about using Cp with HTML5:

http://helpx.adobe.com/captivate/using/publish-projects-html5-files.html

Scroll down to the section that explains why iPads can have issues with audio.  It's complex.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2013 Sep 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Rod.

I did read this and I still can't see why it is not working.  I kind of would understand if I had lots of audio files overlapping and a complex project.  But as I said, it's one slide with nothing on it, with one audio file imported to the slide.  And that's the only audio in the project.

The lack of a mute button in Safari plus the fact that the project is automatically muted in Chrome (but there is a mute button) indicates that I am probably doing something wrong, I'd like to know exactly what.  Also I do get that html5 is complex, but it's just really frustrating that it worked on an ipad within 10 minutes of downloading articulcate, and I seem to have spent a stupid amount of time trying, and failing to get it to work using captivate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Sorry to hear that you are having trouble with audio in Captivate's HTML5 output.

What LMS are you using? There are certain LMS that are known to have problem serving HTML5 content. Also, the content server inside the LMS can choose to send different responses based on the client being a desktop device or a mobile device.

What is the IOS version in the iPad? IOS6 is preferrable.

Can you please try the following?

1. Instead of hosting the output in an LMS, try hosting the content in a local web server running on your machine. Mongoose is a quick and free option to try out (https://mongoose.googlecode.com/files/mongoose-tiny-4.1.exe) and then try accessing the same from iPad

2. If that works, then we can start suspecting the LMS that you are using. If it still does not work, you can connect the iPad to a Mac machine's USB port. Launch Safari on the Mac machine. Make sure that the option to "Show Developer Menu" is turned on in Safari's preferences. From the develop menu, select the menu specific to the iPad device and webpage. You may have to open and close the develop menu in case your iPad is not listed in the menu. Once you select the iPad+page menu, a web-inspector window is opened. Open the console messages if not already open. Refresh the webpage in the iPad. Look at the console output messages in the web-inspector. Any errors or warnings encountered will be printed there. For example, network error messages might hint that the http request for the mp3 file was rejected by the server for some reason.

3. If there are no messages in the console, audio does not play when published output is hosted in local webserver, then please share the published output. We can investigate why it does not work.

Cheers

Siva

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for takiing the time to reply and giving me some troubleshooting advice, it is very much appreciated.  What I will do is have a word with the tech guys in my company and see if they have a web server I can use.  Once I've done that we can see where the problem lies.

Once again many thanks for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 14, 2014 May 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a similar problem - Our Adobe Digital Media Consultant in South Africa got Adobe Tech Support to contact me. A 2 month issue was updated in 10 mins - I needed to upgrade my Captivate from version 7.0.0.118 to 7.0.1.237 (which was the most current at the time) - this fixed the bug - audio came through to iPad just fine after that

In Captivate go to Help > Updates and the Adobe Updater thingy will search for any available updates - 98MB download was all it took to fix it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 25, 2018 May 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm on Captivate 9 and when I published my project, it played fine in IE and Firefox.  But when I played it in Chrome (which is currently up to date at version 66), the audio doesn't play on the first 2 slides with audio.  However, the audio works fine in Chrome from approx the 3rd slide with audio to the end.  The audio is on the slides, not any objects, throughout my entire project.  Also, I have no overlapping audio.  I even changed the order of my slides around just to test if there was something wrong with those slides.  But despite the order of my slides, the first couple of slide in the playback that contained audio would be mute in Chrome only.  What I finally had to do to make it work was to add a clickable object at the beginning.  I added a 'Topics' slide at the beginning of my project with a 'Next' button.  The project pauses until the user clicks Next.  From that point forward, the audio will play in Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources